VLC 2.2 Has Many Features Coming, But VLC 3.0 Will Be Even More Exciting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I've found VLC has some of the screwiest config files of any software I have ever used. Very often my solution to fixing VLC issues is to delete the config folder (I think it's ~/.config/vlc) and start over. I keep backups of good and proven working configs in case something somehow manages to screw up my setup.

Just the other day in VLC some videos had this weird stripe issue or could only play the first few frames, but audio keeps going. I delete the config folder, copy over my backup config, and suddenly it works fine. I've had issues in the past where SPDIF would stop playing audio in 5.1 channels. I delete the config folder and the problem went away. The weird thing is I can take screenshots of how it looks and configure it the exact same way, yet it still screws up.
    Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately both of these issues remain. I'll just use Totem in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by joh??n View Post
      I'm having issues with VLC 2.2.0-pre2, the version that comes in Ubuntu 14.10. When watching a video, it:
      • Often loses audio when seeking or rewinding.
      • After closing the program, the system is always unresponsive for ~5-10 seconds.

The same thing works fine with Videos/Totem and it did not happen when using VLC with Ubuntu 14.04.

Anybody run into similar issues and managed to solve them?
      I also have the same problem, and it's driving me mad... I think that Ubuntu 14.10 is a really buggy release.
      Here are some related threads on the problem:

When a file was opened in `vlc` and played back and the playback finished, moving that file in a file manager (reproduced in `dolphin` and `nautilus`) takes up to several seconds (during which the file manager freezes) while the move occurs instantly when it is opened with `kaffeine` (after the playback finished - and as well when it is played back). The doesn't occur irregularily when the file is moved during playback. The issue occurs on btrfs filesytems only. ProblemType: Bug DistroReleas...

Comment

Originally posted by joh??n View Post
        Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately both of these issues remain. I'll just use Totem in the meantime.
        Don't mind me, I'm just here to spread the word of MPV ~~
        (Minimal GUI though, if you care about that kind of thing)

Comment

@joh??n

SMPlayer might make you forget VLC

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            Don't mind me, I'm just here to spread the word of MPV ~~
            (Minimal GUI though, if you care about that kind of thing)
            SMPlayer now supports using mpv as the backend. http://blog.smplayer.info/category/mpv/

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              SMPlayer now supports using mpv as the backend. http://blog.smplayer.info/category/mpv/
              Nice! Sometimes, what I really want is a nice GUI to configure things, but I love MPV too much to give it up >.<
              The real question here is whether they are only supporting the depreciated slave mode or actually using MPV as a library via the client API (hopefully the latter)

Comment

bomi FTW

Nice! Sometimes, what I really want is a nice GUI to configure things, but I love MPV too much to give it up >.<
                The real question here is whether they are only supporting the depreciated slave mode or actually using MPV as a library via the client API (hopefully the latter)
                There is an multimedia player writen it Qt5 called bomi, it OC uses MPV as backend and has really nice skins.
                Also bomi has way better MPV support than smplayer ever will.

Comment

I recommend to try out bomi, it's written in Qt5 and it uses OC MPV as backend it also has really nice skins.
                  Also bomi has way better MPV support than smplayer will ever have.

homepage:: http://bomi-player.github.io

Comment

In my experience VLC and the related libs (ffmpeg/libav) became more and more crap. Things stopped working on all ends "and there is nothing you can do about it". The windows version lacks MIDI playback and others for years. In Linux, depending on ffmpeg/libav you can't playback DVDs or MP4 content and a lot of other stuff is messy. They should really check their SW quality.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                      In my experience VLC and the related libs (ffmpeg/libav) became more and more crap. Things stopped working on all ends "and there is nothing you can do about it". The windows version lacks MIDI playback and others for years. In Linux, depending on ffmpeg/libav you can't playback DVDs or MP4 content and a lot of other stuff is messy. They should really check their SW quality.
                      The problem with ffmpeg and libav are their sheer size, for the most part. They try to have decoders/encoders for literally everything... video, audio, and images (no idea why images are included). It's gotten to the point where all they're doing is adding more and more decoders/encoders and trying to make them the fastest they can possibly be by writing really low level code for them. I don't think the developers even know how 2/3 of the codecs even work anymore.

I've said it a couple times before: I think some people should start a new audio/video codec library that focuses a little bit more on code quality and other things that are important... i.e. NOT STATIC PICTURES (I'm still confused by this)

Comment

Working...
                      X