Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 14.04: NVidia driver disabled when when updating to 3.13.0-45

Just a heads up out there!

Don't update to 3.13.0-45 if you're using the "nvidia-331-updates" package.
    I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 64bit, after install nvidia binary driver 331.89 from Additional Drivers application then reboot, it shows black screen, no login window, I even can't use ctrl+alt+F2 to switch to text mode, then I reboot and go to recovery mode, use 'prime-select intel' to switch to intel GPU and reboot, everything is fine, but as soon as I switch to nvidia GPU, still same issue. OS: Ubuntu 14.04 64bit Laptop: HP ENVY 15t Nvidia GeForce GT 740M + Intel HD 4600 Desktop: Unity Kernel: 3...

- Post #15 seems to fix it for some individuals but I don't run Xorg Edgers myself.
    - Nouveau may work with 3.13.0-45

Bug's been active for at least 2 months now. *grumble grumble*

Maybe they want to switch to nvidia-settings 346.35 for optimus/prime, they must have figured out that 331 driver is too old for Maxwell gen 2 cards and this is an update problem. Basically you don't need that deep integration of prime switching if you write the config file(s) manually - you just need to use the 2 xrandr commands to offload the screen in a working way together with your xorg.conf (arch optimus wiki shows some nice ideas). But i removed my Ubuntu test install as soon i figured out how to use nvidia optimus with Debian jessie+ - you can test even with a desktop that has IGP forced enabled, monitor connected to it. Funnyly Windows 8.1 could only use Intel in that setup, most likely you would need a 3rd party tool like Lucid Virtu - the desktop Nvidia drivers do not support that feature...

Comment

Working...
    X