Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geearf View Post
    I think this quote is important too:

Since I use systemd, I don't mind at all, but I'm sure some will, and what about BSDs?
    The old code is still there so it can be solved using some #ifs and if(${CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME} MATCHES "BSD")

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
      I really wish the KDE team would stop wasting their time with MacOS and Windows, just concentrate solely on Linux and BSD.
      They probably have more Windows users than BSD. They should just focus on Linux.

This post represents my personal opinion. It does not need to represent any official opinion from any association I am involved with. The Readme of the KDE Plasma Workspaces states clearly that our…

Comment

I think this quote is important too:

Since I use systemd, I don't mind at all, but I'm sure some will, and what about BSDs?
        They don't give a shit. That's what about it. Better Linux than Linux advertisement failed again. Guess who was trying this before?

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
          I really wish the KDE team would stop wasting their time with MacOS and Windows, just concentrate solely on Linux and BSD.
          I've switched my main workstation over to Windows 8.1 (for various reasons, though I would prefer Linux), and being able to use Konversation and others is a damned blessing.

Comment

Originally posted by Koorac View Post
            The old code is still there so it can be solved using some #ifs and if(${CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME} MATCHES "BSD")
            Right, but my understanding is that they would like to drop these.

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            They probably have more Windows users than BSD. They should just focus on Linux.

http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...linux-systems/
            That's a great blog post, thank you for posting the link!

Comment

and what about BSDs?
              The BSDs can do what they want. Most likely, that means providing some component that provides the required interfaces - from what I gather, they're already working on a successor to ConsoleKit which should run on non-Linux, but provides the logind interfaces.

It's a bit more work, but much more acceptable to upstream than having their code filled with #ifdef blocks to support multiple interfaces.

Comment

Right, but my understanding is that they would like to drop these.
                AFAIK, this will depend on what the non-Linux platforms do or don't. The problem have historically been, that the *BSD's don't pull their share when it comes to DE development. On top of that they have been dragging their feet to implement the necessary infrastructure like KMS, even though their OS benefits from it.

So it will become harder and harder for Gnome and KDE to continue to support non-Linux platforms unless those platforms change their attitude and development focus.

At the moment it seems like the BSD forks are finally trying to at least do the absolute minimum work required in order to still have DE support (systemdBSD, CK2 etc.).

But wayland and similar technological development may prove a challenge in the future if the BSD's don't keep up. So it is possible that DE's like Gnome and KDE will split their code, leaving the BSD's to maintain and carry all patches in their own development branch, just like OpenBSD does with OpenSSH.

Anyway, DE's aren't that important to the BSD forks, and Gnome and KDE are GPL which is a license BSD systems actively are trying to eradicate from their platform since GPL programs can't be close sourced. So it probably won't be a big deal for them if Gnome/KDE stopped supporting them.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                  The BSDs can do what they want. Most likely, that means providing some component that provides the required interfaces - from what I gather, they're already working on a successor to ConsoleKit which should run on non-Linux, but provides the logind interfaces.

It's a bit more work, but much more acceptable to upstream than having their code filled with #ifdef blocks to support multiple interfaces.
                  Hmm, that quote was not much about logind, but more about services.

Originally posted by interested View Post
                  AFAIK, this will depend on what the non-Linux platforms do or don't. The problem have historically been, that the *BSD's don't pull their share when it comes to DE development. On top of that they have been dragging their feet to implement the necessary infrastructure like KMS, even though their OS benefits from it.

So it will become harder and harder for Gnome and KDE to continue to support non-Linux platforms unless those platforms change their attitude and development focus.

At the moment it seems like the BSD forks are finally trying to at least do the absolute minimum work required in order to still have DE support (systemdBSD, CK2 etc.).

But wayland and similar technological development may prove a challenge in the future if the BSD's don't keep up. So it is possible that DE's like Gnome and KDE will split their code, leaving the BSD's to maintain and carry all patches in their own development branch, just like OpenBSD does with OpenSSH.
                  That's pretty good insight on this!

Comment

Originally posted by LoneVVolf View Post
                    Logind has some great options, but it also has 1 immense disadvantage :
                    It only functions if systemd is PID 1 .
                    Are you sure about that?
                    Which kernel functionatily is needed for that which is restricted to PID 1?

Cheers,
                    _

Comment

Originally posted by The article
                      While systemd is an init system....
                      As a programmer, this looks like a classic mix up of "is-a" and "has-a", i.e. inheritance vs. aggregation.

systemd has an Init system.

Cheers,
                      _

Comment

Working...
                      X