Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ribbon

Originally posted by brosis View Post
    Good that its patented. Take this abomination and Metro, add kerosene and burn it.
    WTF "easy to find stuff"? This is buttons on drugs and nothing more.
    So instead of using buttons as shortcuts to most used functions and menu hierarchy for full functionality, it just makes buttons much more complex and menu non-present.

"read the tooltip to find out what they are supposed to do"
    Good for you! You discovered what tooltips are for!

I have yet to meet a person in real life who likes ribbons! They must be small (micro) and stupid (soft).
    The Ribbon was a very necessary upgrade to keep up with constantly new features added. The problem before was missing tools and often an unsorted workspace. It was not very productive. However, I do believe Microsoft could have made it better, but the fundamental idea of Ribbon is nothing but excellent

Autodesk implemented Ribbon in a much better way. A CAD software have hundreds, if not thousands of features, and the Ribbon interface took the software to a completely new level in productivity. All menus and features always available at your fingertips, nicely sorted and direct self explaining.

The current Libreoffice menu do not satisfy us power users. I need more text options than available when writing, I need more graphical options when "drawing", I need more graphical options when producing formulas etc., and Libreoffice heavily outdated interface cannot provide an convenient solution, but I have to navigate through menus/dialogs/buttons etc. each time I change task.

Comment

All this ribbons vs menu fights aside

I want LibreOffice to correctly render what I type. And unfortunately, it doesn't, when I type in my mother tongue Persian.

Comment

multi-threading

No offence, bars, toolbars and UI in general are important, indeed. But I would really love to see multi-threading support! We only need to look at the increasing number cores in modern devices..

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
          Full Qt5 port
          Just get Calligra.

Comment

Originally posted by knegen View Post
            The Ribbon was a very necessary upgrade to keep up with constantly new features added. The problem before was missing tools and often an unsorted workspace. It was not very productive. However, I do believe Microsoft could have made it better, but the fundamental idea of Ribbon is nothing but excellent

Autodesk implemented Ribbon in a much better way. A CAD software have hundreds, if not thousands of features, and the Ribbon interface took the software to a completely new level in productivity. All menus and features always available at your fingertips, nicely sorted and direct self explaining.

The current Libreoffice menu do not satisfy us power users. I need more text options than available when writing, I need more graphical options when "drawing", I need more graphical options when producing formulas etc., and Libreoffice heavily outdated interface cannot provide an convenient solution, but I have to navigate through menus/dialogs/buttons etc. each time I change task.
            Have any examples of exactly what's missing from LibreOffice's interface, because I have a hard time finding anything that it's missing myself. What you are asking for is already provided by the sidebar. If anything, I think it'd be nice to have LibreOffice with the GNOME Header Bar feature rather than a ribbon absorbing a large chunk of real estate at the top of the window.

Comment

Originally posted by knegen View Post

You don't see the overhead of images and visual fsckup in ones face, do you?

In the "ribbon" above, image:
              (Menu: CAM) -> (Submenurill)
              (Menu: CAM) -> (Submenu:2D Miling) -> Dialog to choose type.

The real reason is all this screen estate available and then wiseguys who either:
              * push everything in ones face at once ("ribbon" symptom)
              * hide everything behind one button ("gnome3" symptom)

God, give me enough kerosene!

Comment

GTK+3 please.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
                  GTK+3 please.
                  Reason being its (GTK3) eternal suckage?

I already imagine four buttons instead of whole toolbar, with all menu items hidden inside a nested 40-level deep menu....
                  And hyperugly window min,max,close buttons for those sane people, who don't use gnome3.

Comment

I'd support a ribbon-like interface as well. (Toolbars have a bad reputation these days anyway... The next thing would be adding search engines to LO... )

On the features side, I'd like to see better compatibility with Excel sheets. I mean formatting here, the technical stuff mostly works. However, when it comes to looks, basic stuff like colors and borders appear very differently in Calc and Excel. It wouldn't be a problem if saving in one didn't ruin the appearance in the other, but it does. (On the other hand, Writer and Word can keep basic formatting when one edits the same document in both of them.)

Comment

Now in addition to pro-systemd trolls we also have pro-ribbon trolls. Not really surprising or unexpected but...

/sigh

Our company uses MS Office so I've had to deal with ribbon UI since 2008. And today, after seven years of working with this ugly abomination, I hate it as much as I did on day one. And MSO2013 UI is, if anything, even worse than MSO2007. And performance... I have no words. Yes, we are using SSDs and it still takes 10 seconds for Word 2013 to start with a blank document.

If any LibreOffice developer by any chance is reading this thread: please, don't listen to idiots who praise the ribbon. In the name of all that is holy, for the sake of our sanity (and yours) please, please keep the classic buttons and menus.
                      Last edited by prodigy_; 26 January 2015, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X