No announcement yet.

GNOME Mutter Now Uses GTK+ For Drawing All Window Decorations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose this means the CSS animations will finally work on the window controls in server-side decorations. When all is said and done, this may be the only visible change for users.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
      I agree.

1.) Make it work.
      2.) Make it work fast.

And it seems it works flawless so far.

Do Qt5 and GTK+ apps run natively on F21?
      Or is every window run through XWayland?
      How can I check this?
      Ex.:
      $ GDK_BACKEND=wayland appname

apps witch use clutter, gthumb for example:

$ GDK_BACKEND=wayland CLUTTER_BACKEND=wayland gthumb

In notebooks with intel and amd video cards I see more smoothness on gnome-shell on wayland, the rest has no difference.
      With Fedora 21 updated I had no problems with wayland session.

Comment

Originally posted by marciosr View Post
        Ex.:
        $ GDK_BACKEND=wayland appname

apps witch use clutter, gthumb for example:

$ GDK_BACKEND=wayland CLUTTER_BACKEND=wayland gthumb

In notebooks with intel and amd video cards I see more smoothness on gnome-shell on wayland, the rest has no difference.
        With Fedora 21 updated I had no problems with wayland session.
        I guess you could set those environment variables system-wide if you wanted to?

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
          I agree.

1.) Make it work.
          2.) Make it work fast.

And it seems it works flawless so far.

Do Qt5 and GTK+ apps run natively on F21?
          Or is every window run through XWayland?
          How can I check this?
          if you mean on wayland, i think not, but that is just my guess since i don't run any Qt app. but, at least i could notice the difference when resizing complex windows when on wayland and set environment, resizing was smoother than anything i saw so far in xorg. and my post was not trying to persuade anyone that wayland is the best, but rather fact that in F21 there is no reason to avoid testing.

and again, kudos to developers on providing so good first experience which in Fedora was usually pretty scary. move to gnome2 or pulseaudio... all those had tons of problems. this one with wayland is just... wow. they really deserve all the praise they can get, especially since wayland was only small part of change in Fedora world in 21
          Last edited by justmy2cents; 30 December 2014, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
            i tried F21 with Wayland and it downright floored me how everything worked. the only thing i noticed not working is scrolling on right side of my touchpad whivh works OTB in xorg. hats off for the work being done there.
            Drag and drop is not working either in Gnome 3.14 on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              Slightly off-topic, I might switch to Gnome next year because unlike KDE it has realistic chances of being ready for Wayland next year (not just a preview). I do hate Gnome and Gtk but I really want to use a desktop-ready Wayland server and tinker with it.
              Simply switch the window manager, not the desktop. Unlike Gnome 3 and Unity, which both share the design flaw that the desktop is a plugin for a window manager, Plasma Desktop works with any window manager, including Mutter and AFAIK also Weston.
              Pretty much all Qt5 and KF5-based applications should work natively under Wayland. It's just KWin that does not fully work.

Comment

Working...
              X