Budgie: A Lightweight, Chrome OS Inspired, GNOME-Aligned Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustinZ View Post
    It is made by Ikey but he wasn't "hired" to make it, he created Evolve OS and Budgie DE in his own free time.
    Ah, my bad. I thought I remembered reading that he was hired to design it, but I guess the job he got was separate.

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
    I wish Linux "designers" stopped photocopying designs and become a little more imaginative. Besides Shell, Unity and to some extent, Pantheon, everything is a bad copy of the Windows world (or a copy of the copy, like in this case, being Chrome a boring copy of the Windows design).

The designer is full of himself and won't even allow criticism like this in his blog.

Oh, and before the classic excuse chimes in: be inspired by a design is one thing, blatantly copying it is another.

The most boring side of Linux, by far.
    AFAICT, you're just an arse and a troll. I wish people like you would find something better to do with their time.

Comment

wow, really suprised.

So after first reading this article, i decided to go give this desktop environment a try.

I'm on arch and installed the budgie-desktop-git package (there is also budgie-desktop)

The only issue i happened across on my laptop was an xrandr scaling issue where it would scale the screen up for some reason. That was easily fixed.

I'm very surprised at this desktop environment, looking on github the first commit was a year ago (dec 7, 2013).

Has only a few issues from what i can see, just a few unimplemented things here and there.
      It has working workspaces, two different panel plug-ins for the menu (gnome 2 style, and then a almost cinnamon like one).
      Window snapping is also implemented, one of the better Linux implementations of the features i have found so far.

Some stuff i would like to see though, minimize window buttons? Maximize isn't really needed since double clicking works, and the snap features.

I've tried playing planetary annihilation in it, and everything seems to work as it does in other places.

Seems really fast so far!

It even works mostly properly on my 3 monitor desktop. The only issue there is that i cant find any way of changing the monitor that the panel is shown on(even if changing the primary via xrandr).

Honestly its almost good enough at this point to use in day to day stuff :P

Comment

I read the comment: https://evolve-os.com/2014/11/16/cou...ent-1697315682

It never cease to amaze me the amount of energy one need to waste to keep things on track whenever crooked people shows up.
        Call me a dictator or anything worse, don't really care, but I seriously believe they deserve two things: a) get their teeth blown with a good punch, b) block them in the comments, forums, ML, wherever they appear.
        If they have issues with life or unresolved personal stuff better go visit a shrink instead spreading their sh*t everywhere.
        And I agree. Trolls who think elementary OS or Ubuntu or GNOME Shell is a blatant copy of OS X or KDE or XFCE is a blatant copy of Windows just like Budgie desktop is a blatant copy of Chrome OS and is a blatant copy of Windows--which both OS X and Windows are a blatant copy of the WIMP paradigm should just be ignored, so please! LET'S ALL MOVE ON WITH OUR LIVES!!!

And find me a desktop environment that does not look like Windows or OS X. Oh... Maybe we should all go with a tiling window manager? I don't know... At least imagination does not come very easy. How can we shy away from the WIMP paradigm? Millions upon hundreds-- hundreds of million people are used to the WIMP paradigm, be it Windows or OS X.

Whew... I'm about to go watch a football game that I'm recording in my MythTV DVR.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
          I read the comment: https://evolve-os.com/2014/11/16/cou...ent-1697315682

And I agree. Trolls who think elementary OS or Ubuntu or GNOME Shell is a blatant copy of OS X or KDE or XFCE is a blatant copy of Windows just like Budgie desktop is a blatant copy of Chrome OS and is a blatant copy of Windows--which both OS X and Windows are a blatant copy of the WIMP paradigm should just be ignored, so please! LET'S ALL MOVE ON WITH OUR LIVES!!!

And find me a desktop environment that does not look like Windows or OS X. Oh... Maybe we should all go with a tiling window manager? I don't know... At least imagination does not come very easy. How can we shy away from the WIMP paradigm? Millions upon hundreds-- hundreds of million people are used to the WIMP paradigm, be it Windows or OS X.

Whew... I'm about to go watch a football game that I'm recording in my MythTV DVR.
          1. I think you have an issue with the word "blatant" and even the word "copy".
          2. While Windows and OS X are inspired by the works on GUIs at Xerox, they took clearly very different ways from each other and the original Xerox implementations itself.
          3. The WIMP paradigm is just that: a paradigm. Mixing implementations of a paradigm with the paradigm itself is a logical misstep. EVERY GUI since Xerox is derived from the WIMP paradigm. Each is a different implementation of it.
          4. Besides Windows and OS X, there have been ideas for many years that were inspired on both (Amiga OS comes to mind, and some others). Let me insist: they were inspired by, not just cop?ed.
          5. Now if you've followed me so far, you're prepared to know that Chrome doesn't really add anything new to Windows and Budgie doesnt' bring anything new to Chrome. In that sense they are COPIES. I as a Linux desktop lover, loathe every lack of imagination our enemies use to show how poor our desktops are (and they're right when it comes to things like Budgie, precisely). That's not the case with Gnome2, Gnome Shell, Unity or Pantheon (both being inspired by OS X mostly, but not exlusively). It doesn't matter if you like Gnome products, Unity or Pantheon or not. They at least show the will and effort to do something new that tries to improve the user experience. Whether they succeed at that or not is outside the scope of this discussion.

I know it's much easier to think in black and white and mix concepts, whether they're mixable or not (paradigms and implementations, for instance). Actually the leader of the Budgie desktop has zero imagination and can't stand people telling him the obvious. So he resorts to the most childish of the attitudes: ban critics. Without critics, he's got the impression he's doing something right. He's not.
          Last edited by Aleve Sicofante; 06 December 2014, 10:04 PM.

Comment

About creativity:
            All modern DE (OSX,Windows,GNOME,KDE) is copy of some combination of KDE3+compiz+tons of plugins or gnome2+compiz+tons of plugins

Comment

You might agree with me, that it's amazing what some people haved created, based on just a simple window manager, fvwm2:

Comment

Working...
              X