Ubuntu Developers Still Thinking What To Do About Adobe Flash Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
    Well, an Arch system with Firefox, FF nightly, gstreamer and all its plugins (both 1.4 and 0.10, just to be sure).
    i meant gpu.

Comment

Does it have a playlist functionality? That's mostly what keeps me using VLC ... also, does livestreamer work with it?
      PLAYLIST:
      Yeah, but it's probably a bit more complicated than VLC.
      You can create a temporary playlist by selecting more than one source of media before hitting "Enter" (or right-click "Open", whatever floats your boat), and it can open .pls (playlist) files with a flag ("mpv --playlist=filename.pls") for a more "permanent" solution. Other than that, I have no idea because I don't use playlists :P

Livestreamer:
      no idea. at all. I dunno what livestreamer even is haha.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        i meant gpu.
        Intel Sandy Bridge with mesa-git drivers.
        As I said, it works on the stable Firefox version installed in parallel, with the same profile
        Last edited by CrystalGamma; 14 November 2014, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
          ...but...but... how will we see banner ads?
          ROTFL
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Intel Sandy Bridge with mesa-git drivers.
            As I said, it works on the stable Firefox version installed in parallel, with the same profile
            I am quite sure H264 HW acceleration works with gstreamer and FF with gstreamer vaapi.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              I am quite sure H264 HW acceleration works with gstreamer and FF with gstreamer vaapi.
              Yeah, but it doesn't gain you much, because Firefox will copy decoded frames back into system memory (resource intensive) and then do colorspace conversion and scaling in software (very resource intensive). No browser currently has a proper HW pipeline for HTML5 video, at least not on Linux, don't know Chrome's situation on Windows.
              Last edited by Gusar; 14 November 2014, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                Yeah, but it doesn't gain you much, because Firefox will copy decoded frames back into system memory (resource intensive) and then do colorspace conversion and scaling in software (*very* resource intensive). No browser currently has a proper HW pipeline for HTML5 video, at least not on Linux, don't know Chrome's situation on Windows.
                Yes i know. First thing i noticed when i was able to use HW accel was the high FF CPU usage.

And it sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                  I suspect that a true EOL on Flash that makes Firefox unable to use Flash without hacks will force all websites that don't want to dump users who won't switch browsers to also dump flash. Even though Google distributes Chrome, they have to allow for users of computers on which they do NOT have admin rights and cannot install Chrome.

A Chrome-only Youtube would probably cause another video streaming site to become the new #1 mainstream video site and I suspect Google knows this. Otherwise they would have already deliberately made Youtube buggy on other browsers or even blocked them and popped up a "firefox not supported, please use Chrome" bubble. If that angered even 5% of users into dumping Youtube, they would go to another site, and the relative change in positions between that site and Youtube would be double that margin or 10%. That would set a "rising vs falling" momentum that could permanently cost Youtube their #1 spot. I sure as hell don't think anyone can afford to have half their Firefox users dump Firefox but the other half dump them.

Thus, for any one major browser to become Flash incompatable by 2017 should be able to kill Flash on all major websites except as a legacy format for old browsers and possibly old videos, for which a download option could be openly offered if sites don't want to make new video files.
                  Wow... you are so far from truth...

#1 : Chrome does not need any admin rights. If you do not have those rights it installs itself in your home directory, transparently, without a warning. You cannot prevent a user to install it. I am working in an environment where Chrome is not installed on machines, and I see 1/2 users using it.

#2 : considering the actual marketsize of Chrome, a Chrome-only Youtube would make much more users use only Chrome. It would be a self circled phenomena. Remember how IE got 95% market a few years ago? Simply because they made others browsers non compatible, causing more users to stick on it, causing webdevs to developp on it, making others browsers non compatible etc.

The day Apple got iPad out, Flash was doomed. In 2017 nobody will care about it as HTML is now rich enough to render all types of contents.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                    Yeah, but it doesn't gain you much, because Firefox will copy decoded frames back into system memory (resource intensive) and then do colorspace conversion and scaling in software (very resource intensive). No browser currently has a proper HW pipeline for HTML5 video, at least not on Linux, don't know Chrome's situation on Windows.
                    Come to the dark side

mplayer has perfect hw pipeline for video.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      Come to the dark side

mplayer has perfect hw pipeline for video.
                      Not for Intel it doesn't (mplayer-vaapi doesn't count, it hasn't been updated in ages and has issues with osd rendering). I do use mpv, which has great vaapi support. But that doesn't help with random websites.

Comment

Working...
                      X