No announcement yet.

GNOME Foundation To Finally Challenge Groupon Over Trademarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand why the GNOME Foundation is asking for legal money. If Groupon is aware of the conflict and wants to take it to court, then they're a bunch of dumbasses.
    If the GF wants a huge team of lawyers to fight this and hasn't sought a a simple out-of-court agreement with Groupon (like sending a "cease and desist" type letter), then they're just trying to milk it for all it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      I don't understand why the GNOME Foundation is asking for legal money. If Groupon is aware of the conflict and wants to take it to court, then they're a bunch of dumbasses.
      If the GF wants a huge team of lawyers to fight this and hasn't sought a a simple out-of-court agreement with Groupon (like sending a "cease and desist" type letter), then they're just trying to milk it for all it's worth.
      It might be wrong, but I read in the media coverage of the dispute between Stoic (developers of the game Banner Saga) and King (developers of the game Candy Crush Saga) about the trademark "Saga", that if the holder of a trademark doesn't take legal action when the trademark is infringed, the trademark is effectively lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-L View Post
        I'll leave this, right here.

Hopefully this means that GroupON will simply seek to change their product name.
        They updated their blog post again.

TL;DR

Originally posted by https://engineering.groupon.com/2014/misc/gnome-foundation-and-groupon-product-names/
        UPDATE: After additional conversations with the open source community and the Gnome Foundation, we have decided to abandon our pending trademark applications for ?Gnome.? We will choose a new name for our product going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by skx7 View Post
          Unbelievable! Groupon, known since their IPO for fraudulent accounting practices, is now blatantly violating the Gnome Foundation trademark. I really hope all opensource foundations will support them in this battle! And finally, who on earth is buying from this company??
          Originally posted by mufasa72 View Post
          is just bull shit if it had to come to legal action to stop Groupon from infringing GNOME's right to the name.
          You big babies. If GNOME is to win the suit, more money to them.

What are you crying for?

E: Apparently, it was already decided on the GNOME side as well: http://www.gnome.org/groupon/
          Last edited by ArchLinux; 14 November 2014, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X