Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinnamon 2.4 Released In Beta Form

Phoronix: Cinnamon 2.4 Released In Beta Form

The Cinnamon 2.4 Desktop Environment is now out ahead of its official debut with Linux Mint 17.1 later this month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I look forward to seeing DE benchmarks in the future
    It sounds like they really spent some time polishing and cleaning up Cinnamon. IIRC, Cinnamon performed pretty well when compared to other DEs.

From what I understand, some parts of GNOME were polished a little bit for 3.14. I'd also be interested to see some early KF5/Plasma5 benchmarks.

Of course, I'm not trying to pressure for benchmarks. Whenever you have time and there's packages available to test.

Comment

Considering that most files in https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/tree/master/src have not been touched since years, I find the amount of improvements in this release not believable.

Comment

Im excited about this feature:
        Compositing in full-screen mode is now configurable and does not require to restart Cinnamon. This means less screen-tearing by default for most users and the option to undirect windows for gamers and users requiring an application to run at full speed without being impacted by the composition manager.

So in the next gaming benchmark of Desktop Environments, include cinnamon to see how it behaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          Considering that most files in https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/tree/master/src have not been touched since years, I find the amount of improvements in this release not believable.
          C'mon there's like one c file changed what more do you want?!

Comment

Wow, it's almost like you have no idea how their files are laid out!! (sarcasm, obviously)
            If you looked through their commits at all, you'd see that much (maybe even most) of Cinnamon is in the /js and /files directories, not /src

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              Wow, it's almost like you have no idea how their files are laid out!! (sarcasm, obviously)
              If you looked through their commits at all, you'd see that much (maybe even most) of Cinnamon is in the /js and /files directories, not /src
              Most stuff in "js" has also not been touched in years and the files that have been modified less than 2 years ago are UI files. Awesome!

Comment

Cinnamon needs to get more responsive.
                I haven't used it in a very long time, but when I evaluated it, I discarded it due to being unresponsive.
                There was too much latency.

Comment

I find the amount of improvements in this release not believable.
                  So... you're suggesting the developers are just blatantly lying about the features of their latest release?

Comment

I was considering Cinnamon about a year ago when I found (for n-th time) that Unity still isn't usable for me (I am giving Unity a chance every time I do a new Ubuntu install. 14.04's Unity had me for the longest time so far, I'm still using it). Unfortunately, I found out that it is impossible to do "drag and drop" between programs on different workspaces, or between two fullscreen programs on the same workspace (I really need that for my workflow). Something that could be easily done in many other DEs I tried. Also, multimonitor support wasn't great. I will check 2.4 version to see if there are any improvements in those regards.

Comment

Working...
                    X