Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Switches Back To GNOME As Its Default Desktop

Phoronix: Debian Switches Back To GNOME As Its Default Desktop

While Debian defaulted to the Xfce desktop in the past after switching from GNOME, the default Debian desktop is back to being with GNOME...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish Debian switched to Unity as its default desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Allard View Post
      You have Ubuntu for that.

(And you probably are a troll anyway)

Comment

like unity will even run on Debian

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-L View Post
          (And you probably are a troll anyway)
          I don't know why you are saying that, I'm definitely not a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
            like unity will even run on Debian
            If you patch it enough it will. Guess how they make it run on Arch?

I wonder why for some packages the package in Debian Sid is newer than what upstream offers.

Comment

@Allard: I hope this was a (terrible) joke, or a trolling attempt... Unity might be very user friendly, but its current implementation is a code monster, which requires significant changes to various system libraries, which are not supported upstream. The added amount of maintanance work just to ship unity for a distribution is significant, not even talking about bugfixing.

Back to topic: What surprises me, that resource usage isn't mentioned at all. Gnome requires much more RAM than Xfce, what can lead to serious issues on computers with less than 4 GB of memory (swapping hell). While I'm fully aware that installing Debian with a different Desktop is as easy as to choose it on the boot screen of the installation medium, wouldn't it be worth considering keeping the default installation slim, in order to have low system requirements?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Debian Switches Back To GNOME As Its Default Desktopthe default Debian desktop is back to being with GNOME...

Comment

I don't know why you are saying that, I'm definitely not a troll.
                  Again, because you already have Ubuntu for that. Nobody else seems to use Unity, and nobody wants to.

Since Ubuntu it's largely based on Debian, you already have your Debian using Unity.

Comment

I am not sure about GNOME as a default, vs XFCE, since I don't use either (I used GNOME in 2000-2004 or so). I tend to like software written with Qt, it just seems nice to use, modern and consistent. I have used KDE actually for many many years, but started moving away in my different machines, mostly because of performance issues when they introduced akonadi and nepomuk, and overall a very complicated initialization system that is slow, and when it refuses to load the desktop, is extremely hard to revert to a vanilla desktop.

My main desktop was moved to Unity. It boots to a full desktop almost twice as fast as KDE (10s vs 18s), looks great and works just fine. Not as fancy as Plasma, but hey. I am looking forward to the Qt based UnityNext. The older laptop I use at home was moved to lxQt (works just fine, super fast and light). A couple laptops are still running KDE, but will be eventually moved to something else, it's just too much trouble to keep KDE running, and i care little about the destop environment. I do use Konsole and Dolphin in all systems

Comment

Working...
                    X