Google Works To Sunset SHA-1 In Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    No because https which is insecure lures users with a false sense of insecurity
    Most users have no sense of security anyway, and rubbish like secret questions and answers does far more to cause a false sense of security than SHA-1. A theoretically vulnerable algorithm that thus far has required enormous computing power to come close to a collision is better than requiring nothing more than to sit in between two hosts and collect the traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by opensource View Post
      What about git, is it there still considered ok?
      It's considered unsuited for crypto, but that doesn't mean it's not a perfectly adequate hashing algorithm for other purposes.

Comment

I don't know much about crypto algorithms, but from what I gather SHA1 is weak and unsuitable for signing. Should I be worried then? This, for instance, is Google's gmail: "Signature algorithm SHA1withRSA" https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/anal...74.125.239.117

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
          It's considered unsuited for crypto, but that doesn't mean it's not a perfectly adequate hashing algorithm for other purposes.
          No, I mean git uses sha1 internally (AFAIK).

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
            Originally posted by My8th View Post
            Do any common sites still use SHA-1?
            Healthcare.gov
            *goes to confirm*
            yep it does, however "This change is about SHA-1-signed certificates that don't expire until after 1 January 2017"
            The Healthcare.gov one expires now +1 year and 4 days, which would be in September of 2015

Comment

Git SHA-1 usage isn't really a security-feature, it's just a hash that's very unlikely (virtually impossible) to produce accidental collisions.

Comment

Originally posted by kusma View Post
                Git SHA-1 usage isn't really a security-feature, it's just a hash that's very unlikely (virtually impossible) to produce accidental collisions.
                I guess so too.

Comment

Originally posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
                  *goes to confirm*
                  yep it does
                  *falls on the floor*

I was only kidding! LOLOL But I guess considering that the site was recently hacked, that just goes into the pot as one of the reasons.

Really, I guess I should be laughing because with government controlled healthcare, the joke is on us.

Comment

Yes, that's why I said that. SHA-1 hashing isn't considered good enough for crypto these days, because finding collisions has become relatively computationally cheap, and the ability to deliberately find collisions for hashed passwords is a problem. But that doesn't matter for git, because it's not using SHA-1 for crypto (or for security in general)... it's just using it to generate a kind of identifier from the contents of a commit.

Comment

Originally posted by My8th View Post
                      Do any common sites still use SHA-1?
                      https://www.sha2sslchecker.com/index.php/facebook.com (sha1WithRSAEncryption)

Other popular websites those are using sha1WithRSAEncryption...

NASA.gov brings you the latest news, images and videos from America's space agency, pioneering the future in space exploration, scientific discovery and aeronautics research.

HSBC, one of the largest banking and financial services institutions in the world, serves millions of customers through its three Global Businesses.

淘寶(Taobao)讓您隨心淘超值商品,爲您提供流行服飾、美妝洗護、3C數碼、大小家電、家俬家居、箱包皮具、運動戶外、五金工具、玩具等千萬件熱銷好貨,淘寶支持文字或圖片搜索商品。天貓淘寶海外作爲Taobao面向華人的跨境電商平台,覆蓋200多個國家和地區的消費者,其中核心站點包括:淘寶香港(taobao hk)、淘寶台灣(taobao tw)、淘寶澳門、淘宝新加坡、淘宝马来西亚、淘宝韩国(타오바오 사이트)、淘宝澳洲、淘宝加拿大、taobao world。

Most websites still using SHA1 from this list - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...pular_websites

Comment

Working...
                      X