Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Nice. I updated to 5.0.1 yesterday, and today had a peculiar lack of Plasma crashes. Awesome!

Leave a comment:

• mendieta
    replied
    Originally posted by CTown View Post
    In December a release will contain a mix of Qt4 and Qt5 applications. I don't know if they will call this release 4.15 or not.

Here is a mailing list post from Albert Astals Cid.
    Thank you both (CTown and TheBlackCat). It seems like kdelibs 4 and 5 will coexist from December on, for about 6 months. They might call it 14.12, possibly indicating monthly releases? Sort of like a rolling release of applications based on, but loosely coupled to, KDE Frameworks / Plasma releases. Not a bad idea. I seem to recall some articles from Michael along these lines.

Leave a comment:

• CTown
    replied
    Originally posted by mendieta View Post
    Yes, what I wonder is when are KDE SC or KDE Applications going to catch up. I googled for a 5.0 version of either one and the only thing I found was a 3 year old post by Aaron Seigo. Anyone knows any better?
    In December a release will contain a mix of Qt4 and Qt5 applications. I don't know if they will call this release 4.15 or not.

Here is a mailing list post from Albert Astals Cid.

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Originally posted by mendieta View Post
    Yes, what I wonder is when are KDE SC or KDE Applications going to catch up. I googled for a 5.0 version of either one and the only thing I found was a 3 year old post by Aaron Seigo. Anyone knows any better?
    I don't think there is a plan to have a KDE SC anymore. My understanding is that applications will release on their own schedule from here on.

I know a bunch of applications are currently in the process of porting, but each application developer team is porting at their own pace and on their own schedule. For example, I know Kate/Kwrite is pretty far along, and I think Dolphin is coming along as well. Looking at the openSUSE repos, it seems there are also partially-finished ports of bluedevil, kdevelop, kfind, konqueror, konsole, konversation, okteta, plasmate, rekonq, telepathy, and yakuake (I might have missed a few others). There are probably others that haven't been packaged yet.

Leave a comment:

• mendieta
    replied
    Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
    Only KDE5 Frameworks and Plasma 5 have been released so far. Applications have not been released yet. Also, I assume you installed Plasma 5 from the AUR (or kde-unstable repo).

Leave a comment:

• bakgwailo
    replied
    Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    Glad to see this is getting updates so soon. After a rather unfortunate dd command recently I had to reinstall Arch on my Linux box, and went with KDE5 rather than going for the kde-meta package I had before. I was a bit surprised because the default KDE install before installed loads of stuff, whereas installing KDE5 on a fresh install didn't have much at all, I think I had to install a terminal application IIRC which I didn't have to do last time.

This isn't necessarily a criticism, I was just expecting KDE5 to come with as much stuff as KDE4 which obviously wasn't the case. So I'll be glad to see the functionality of KDE5 catch up to KDE4. Looks like they're making rapid progress.
    Only KDE5 Frameworks and Plasma 5 have been released so far. Applications have not been released yet. Also, I assume you installed Plasma 5 from the AUR (or kde-unstable repo).

Leave a comment:

• kaprikawn
    replied
    Glad to see this is getting updates so soon. After a rather unfortunate dd command recently I had to reinstall Arch on my Linux box, and went with KDE5 rather than going for the kde-meta package I had before. I was a bit surprised because the default KDE install before installed loads of stuff, whereas installing KDE5 on a fresh install didn't have much at all, I think I had to install a terminal application IIRC which I didn't have to do last time.

This isn't necessarily a criticism, I was just expecting KDE5 to come with as much stuff as KDE4 which obviously wasn't the case. So I'll be glad to see the functionality of KDE5 catch up to KDE4. Looks like they're making rapid progress.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic KDE Ships First Update To Frameworks 5

KDE Ships First Update To Frameworks 5

Phoronix: KDE Ships First Update To Frameworks 5

KDE has shipped their first update to KDE Frameworks 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X