Open-Source Blu-Ray Now Works For BD-J / Menu Rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke View Post
    No legal team required. I have no legally reachable income or assets of any kind. As such I would have no incentive to settle and every incentive to fuck with them and just plain get nasty. I could respond to a lawsuit by saying "fuck you, I do not have nor will I ever have any reachable assets and can guarantee you will never collect a penny" then let them have an uncollectable default judgement. In short, if you don't have or want legally reachable assets, you can ignore both civil courts and most fines outright, rather than fighting on their ground using lawyers.
    I don't understand exactly what you mean by "legally reachable", but I have bank accounts, a home, and vehicles, so as far as I am aware I definitely do have assets they can pursue.

The other factor is this: Even if I see a DVD of something I like sold for $3.99 in a discount bin I refuse to buy it as a matter of principle, of not giving money to the pigs who have been suing for filesharing. If you don't want to pirate paid media, then DO WITHOUT IT. I ignore movie content as I do not have the bandwidth to download it and refuse to pay for it, for example. It is people not buying content that is choking the life out of the Hollywood copythugs. Whether people torrent or boycott the content has exactly zero effect on that, and nobody can be sued for refusing to posess copyrighted content.
    Excellent points. I can happily live the rest of my life without seeing another movie made by Disney or Sony. I don't pirate anything - when I say that I oppose DRM, and I get the instant counter "you're just being cheap", I want to respond with a straight face and a clear conscience that the evils of DRM have nothing to do with my desire for pirating media.

But I'm at a loss as to how to get a statistically significant portion of the population to accept the same position. I do buy DRM'ed DVDs and Blu Rays, because I enjoy the entertainment and I just can't see how to convince enough people to switch to consuming only non-DRM'ed content to make a dent in the modern media industry.

Maybe I'm wrong. For writing, Cory Doctorow and Peter Watts have done some amazing science fiction as Creative Commons - and anyone is welcome to write their own take on Greek or Arthurian legend, etc... I've also run into some decent Creative Commons music, though honestly not much that holds up to my favorite artists. But will there really be enough of that to dethrone the DRM content creators?

Comment

Houses cost over 100 years income for me

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
      I don't understand exactly what you mean by "legally reachable", but I have bank accounts, a home, and vehicles, so as far as I am aware I definitely do have assets they can pursue.

Excellent points. I can happily live the rest of my life without seeing another movie made by Disney or Sony. I don't pirate anything - when I say that I oppose DRM, and I get the instant counter "you're just being cheap", I want to respond with a straight face and a clear conscience that the evils of DRM have nothing to do with my desire for pirating media.

But I'm at a loss as to how to get a statistically significant portion of the population to accept the same position. I do buy DRM'ed DVDs and Blu Rays, because I enjoy the entertainment and I just can't see how to convince enough people to switch to consuming only non-DRM'ed content to make a dent in the modern media industry.

Maybe I'm wrong. For writing, Cory Doctorow and Peter Watts have done some amazing science fiction as Creative Commons - and anyone is welcome to write their own take on Greek or Arthurian legend, etc... I've also run into some decent Creative Commons music, though honestly not much that holds up to my favorite artists. But will there really be enough of that to dethrone the DRM content creators?
      I don't own a house and the total value of all I own is surely less than the $3,000 or so that is formally exempt from seizure in any judgement. If you have a bank account and get sued, drain it, tell any judgement creditor you spent all the money on dope and hookers, nobody can disprove that.

Comment

I don't own a house and the total value of all I own is surely less than the $3,000 or so that is formally exempt from seizure in any judgement. If you have a bank account and get sued, drain it, tell any judgement creditor you spent all the money on dope and hookers, nobody can disprove that.
        I like how you think, thanks for the useful information and the laughs.

A house is a bit harder to hide, though.

Comment

Make it an underground bunker with automated turrets, let them seize that

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Make it an underground bunker with automated turrets, let them seize that
            Has the advantage, that you don't have to lie about where all the money from the bank account went

Comment

Working...
            X