GNOME 3.13.2 Temporarily Depends On Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Exactly. Which is a great lifespan for an OS. However by that point the RHEL 6 kernel will be so old that it will not support newer hardware.
    This is where Oracle's repackage of RHEL might work really well. By keeping the kernel much more up to date but leaving the rest of the userland intact.

From what I can see, the kernel that comes with Oracle's version of RHEL 6 is even newer than RedHat's RHEL 7.
    RH do backport hardware support for the kernal. That's written on the webpage about the lifecycle of RHEL. And I think that upgrading the kernel may produce a weird mix in some specific corner case , especially if userspace is depending on the kernel space interface ( example, I am not exactly sure that iptables is fine with being used on a newer kernel, or what about stuff like btrfs-progs, etc ). However, while this may exist, maybe I am also totally wrong. But it just feel safer to backport smaller piece and test rather than redo the integration from start ( because for one, the approach of backporting everything may just break proprietary hardware that is already installed ).

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      Could someone please explain to me where this meme of it "being like microsoft" or "windowsizing linux" came from?
      Red Hat is behind systemd and Red Hat is very much like Microsoft - a heartless power hungry corporation. Their current intentions are obvious - they want a steel grip on the Linux userland and by now they pretty much have it. What their next step will be is less clear. They may take conservative approach and simply ask for a license fee but then again they could also come up with something more "creative". My bet is on the latter. Every systemd fanboy who is cheering today will cry tomorrow. Except the paid shills that is.

And "windowisation" means Linux - again thanks to systemd - becomes less and less of a *NIX and more and more of a crappy Windows-wannabe. Dbus and journald are classic examples of how we're losing control over the OS, of how things that made UNIX (and, by extension, Linux) great are thrown out of the window for no reason.
      Last edited by prodigy_; 02 June 2014, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
        Red Hat is behind systemd and Red Hat is very much like Microsoft - a heartless power hungry corporation. Their current intentions are obvious - they want a steel grip on the Linux userland and by now they pretty much have it. What their next step will be is less clear. They may take conservative approach and simply ask for a license fee but then again they could also come up with something more "creative". My bet is on the latter. Every systemd fanboy who is cheering today will cry tomorrow. Except the paid shills that is.

And "windowisation" means Linux - again thanks to systemd - becomes less and less of a *NIX and more and more of a crappy Windows-wannabe. Dbus and journald are classic examples of how we're losing control over the OS, of how things that made UNIX (and, by extension, Linux) great are thrown out of the window for no reason.
        Oh boo hoo, poor baby shat himself on the internet again. One day he'll grow up and learn to control his bowels.

Comment

Oh yeah, a license fee on free software, that worked so well for ... well, no one. Cause you seems to forgot one small detail, that's just free software. IE, it is not because you are too dumb to read and understand C ( and o "losing control" ) that everybody is lacking skill, so as distribution did switch to systemd, they could switch out as fast, especially if people do spend time to maintain upstart or sysvinit ( which doesn't seems to be the case, because people prefer to complain on forum rather than doing works, either because that's easier to complain or because they do not have skills to do so, cause if they have the time to complain, they have time to work ).

Because you d not know C doesn't mean no one is knowin it, so the point about losing control is more about "not doing stuff the way i want, and I have no desire to learn or understand, and I prefer to go in a world of fantasy". I was made clear that journald can still be complemented by rsyslog to get all the text files you want. Dbus is not more losing control than any RPC such as the one pushed by Sun for nfs. The only difference is that when sun did it, there was no people complaining to them about "not being unix", because this didn't made sense, and it still don't. DBus permit to split the work into smaller daemons that communicate over a common protocol. If your only complain is that the protocol is not unstructured text, then i guess you may have missed the recent advancement about engineering and the push for higher abstraction of the last 50 years.

Comment

So, Luke_Wolf, does that answer your question? It comes from paranioa, ignorance, and an irrational fear of change.

Comment

So... The people who are constantly talking about technical merits of systemd and how systemd actually works are "fanboys". The rational people, the "voice of truth and reason", what they have is... conspiracy theories.

And "windowisation" means Linux - again thanks to systemd - becomes less and less of a *NIX and more and more of a crappy Windows-wannabe.
              Please elaborate on this one. Really, please explain how exactly the equation "linux kernel + systemd + gnu userspace + X or Wayland + Gnome/KDE/XFCE/LxQt/lightweight WM of your choice = Windows" makes any kind of sense.

Dbus and journald are classic examples of how we're losing control over the OS, of how things that made UNIX (and, by extension, Linux) great are thrown out of the window for no reason.
              All of systemd's dbus interfaces are well documented. The journal's binary format (which isn't a secret) allows for querying logs beyond what grepping can provide, plus you can still use a classic logger if you really want text logs.

To recap: Technical arguments are fanboyism, conspiracy theories are a voice of reason, replacing a script-based init system with a service supervisor turns Linux precisely into Windows, documented interfaces are loss of control, advanced log querying has no reason to exist. Did I get everything right? It must be so, the "voice of truth and reason" said it.

Comment

At least systemd threads are good for one thing - identifying paid Red Hat trolls and adding them to ignore list.

Comment

At least systemd threads are good for one thing - identifying paid Red Hat trolls and adding them to ignore list.
                  To recap: don't feed the troll or it'll just continue to smear its shit all over the internet.

Comment

Thank you for again demonstrating you paranoia.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                      If I was developing a large project over a 10 year period, I would certainly think twice about using Linux (and I did. Thats why we are using FreeBSD).
                      Your statement has no credibility, an average FreeBSD release is supported for only 1 year on average and half a year for OpenBSD. This isn't helped by the fact that PCBSD's upgrade process does not work http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=21956 and that OpenBSD's upgrade process is still manual and time consulting. Net and Dragonfly BSD use src to update which on a 2GB 2GHz Doul core takes 2 days to finish (not to mention complications).

Comment

Working...
                      X