No announcement yet.

Cross-Desktop Collaboration During FreeDesktop Summit 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure, but my point is that putting all GNOME contributors into the uncooperative camp is quite unfair, as the very summit participation shows that they are individuals who care.

I think their efforts should be applauded, not ridiculed, especially given the rather cooperation hostile environment they seem to be in.

Our reactions as users of the wider Free Software deskop community should be positive towards such cooperative efforts, to encourage further actions from those already involved and maybe even get more contributors to "switch sides" and become cooperative partners as well.

Cheers,
    _

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
      Sure, but my point is that putting all GNOME contributors into the uncooperative camp is quite unfair, as the very summit participation shows that they are individuals who care.

I think their efforts should be applauded, not ridiculed, especially given the rather cooperation hostile environment they seem to be in.
      Let me get this straight: Apparently you could not correct me. Apparently StatusNotifier Items are still out and headerbars everywhere are still in.

And now let me give you another history lesson. Here's a (likely incomplete) list of projects that forked away from Gnome because they all could not cooperate: Cinnamon, Elementary/Pantheon, Flashback, and Mate. The latter two basically do the same thing as Xfce but instead of joining that, they rather did their own fork.
      OTOH: LXDE realizes that GTK is a bad toolkit and decides to switch to Qt. Razor sees that and LXDE and Razor merge to form LXQt. KDE reaches out to LXQt, tells LXQt about its plans to make the KDE code base even more modular and asks LXQt for input.
      Result: LXQt will likely use a stripped down KWin 5 as window manager.
      Now THAT's cooperation!

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        Let me get this straight: Apparently you could not correct me.
        Yes, I didn't attempt to correct you. What would be the point in correcting you on something you are correct about?
        And it was emphasising the point I was making, see my previous comment.

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        OTOH: LXDE realizes that GTK is a bad toolkit and decides to switch to Qt. Razor sees that and LXDE and Razor merge to form LXQt. KDE reaches out to LXQt, tells LXQt about its plans to make the KDE code base even more modular and asks LXQt for input.
        Result: LXQt will likely use a stripped down KWin 5 as window manager.
        Now THAT's cooperation!
        Did I claim anywhere that the summit was an example of the best cooperation possible?
        I think I did not.

I did, however, point out that it is pretty counter productive to hold other peoples uncooperativeness over the head of people who provably are cooperating.

Cheers,
        _

Comment

Working...
        X