PulseAudio 5.0 Supports BlueZ 5, Native Log Target For Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
    Yeah, that's true. I wonder who use Bluetooth devices with their computers? Desktop computers?
    Many people use bluetooth devices with their desktop computers.

You just have a "i am not using it, so it is useless to everybody" syndrome...

Grow up...

Comment

Pusaudio is rubbish and I curse those distributions for using it. I had to disable it (not only the sound server, but you also have to give a directive to stop it from auto spawning), and change my apps over to use the plain jane ALSA device.

Not only that, it causes stupid, stupid dependencies (sometimes inherited by things that have nothing to do with audio). Pulse is preventing me from (easily) using an old game, even though I'm not using pulse. I had to install the 32 bit SDL packages from my distro, which pulled in the 32 bit pulseaudio libraries, that have a dependency on a module that I don't get because I haven't actually got the i386 pulseaudio system installed. So I've either got to compile myself a 32 bit SDL stack without pulse present, install the entire i386 pulseaudio and deal with that to prevent it from starting, or just forget the old game. I chose to just forget the old game, after screwing around, and installing dependencies I didn't otherwise need. What's stupid about this is that it's got nothing to do with the game, that knows nothing about pulseaudio. (if it wasn't patched, it wouldn't have been ALSA aware either).

It was implemented stupidly. I wouldn't care about it if it was something I could just yank out if I don't want it.

I wish I had a dime for every fanboy that denies this, but pulseaudio is extra gyration that I (and many others) don't want, that causes audio stuttering and problems with some of my games. My game performance in Serious Sam 3 improved after killing pulse, for example.

We seem to have one of those brow beating pricks here in this thread insulting people over this. Fun fact: You cannot impress or convince me with your condescending bullshit for I have real world observations... mine. I wasn't born yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Grogan View Post
        Pusaudio is rubbish and I curse those distributions for using it. I had to disable it (not only the sound server, but you also have to give a directive to stop it from auto spawning), and change my apps over to use the plain jane ALSA device.

Not only that, it causes stupid, stupid dependencies (sometimes inherited by things that have nothing to do with audio). Pulse is preventing me from (easily) using an old game, even though I'm not using pulse. I had to install the 32 bit SDL packages from my distro, which pulled in the 32 bit pulseaudio libraries, that have a dependency on a module that I don't get because I haven't actually got the i386 pulseaudio system installed. So I've either got to compile myself a 32 bit SDL stack without pulse present, install the entire i386 pulseaudio and deal with that to prevent it from starting, or just forget the old game. I chose to just forget the old game, after screwing around, and installing dependencies I didn't otherwise need. What's stupid about this is that it's got nothing to do with the game, that knows nothing about pulseaudio. (if it wasn't patched, it wouldn't have been ALSA aware either).

It was implemented stupidly. I wouldn't care about it if it was something I could just yank out if I don't want it.

I wish I had a dime for every fanboy that denies this, but pulseaudio is extra gyration that I (and many others) don't want, that causes audio stuttering and problems with some of my games. My game performance in Serious Sam 3 improved after killing pulse, for example.

We seem to have one of those brow beating pricks here in this thread insulting people over this. Fun fact: You cannot impress or convince me with your condescending bullshit for I have real world observations... mine. I wasn't born yesterday.
        But really how does that contradict that pulseaudio answers the requirements of other people?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          Many people use bluetooth devices with their desktop computers.

You just have a "i am not using it, so it is useless to everybody" syndrome...

Grow up...
          You are taking my comment too seriously. I'm just having a little friendly conversation in this thread and I do not have the kind of syndrome you are talking about. With that said, I apologize if I am being labeled as a troll. I have learned my lesson that I will not write such a comment in the future and I apologize for that.

Comment

Yeah, that's true. I wonder who use Bluetooth devices with their computers? Desktop computers?
            Are you joking? With laptops it's not uncommon for people to use wireless mice, in general, and a keyboard when connected to external monitors. When traveling, you can use your phone as a modem though making it a hotspot makes more sense until bluez gets 3.0 HS support.
            Personally I make use of bt headphones.

Comment

I do on my desktop everyday. I have my phone stream audio through a2dp and then it comes out my headphones on my computer, that way I get all the audio from my computer and my phone while I work.

Comment

I really don't have a need for PulseAudio. All I have is JACK and an ALSA Loopback interface for ALSA-applications that connects through JACK and through my sound card.

The problem with PulseAudio is it takes up CPU resources that it does not need.
                I used to have this very same setup. And you know what? Pulseaudio does a much better job redirecting audio to jack than alsa does. Fiddling with asound.conf and having to deal with buggy alsa-utils isn't fun. As a bonus, pulseaudio alsa emulation seems to be more compatible than just plain alsa, and you get to chose a high quality re-sampler instead of the passable one in alsa's dmix.

Aside from all this, there are now a bunch of applications that either work better with pulseaudio, like wine (even tough it uses alsa!), or only work with pulseaudio, like valve games.

Comment

Think Bluetooth headsets, for use with Skype and other voice apps. Very useful, compared to the alternative - tethering yourself to the computer via a wire attached to your headset.

Comment

While the systemd journal is now supported by PulseAudio
                    Wait, what? I thought journald was supposed to be a drop in replacement for syslog. Now they're saying apps have to be ported to the new logging system?

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
                      Wait, what? I thought journald was supposed to be a drop in replacement for syslog. Now they're saying apps have to be ported to the new logging system?
                      It is and they don't have to be but you can pass more information if you use the native APIs.

Comment

Working...
                      X