X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please guys, stop answering him.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
      Gnome and GTK are synchronized. Qt does not give a damn about KDE's release schedule.
      And that's a good thing. Nobody wants a toolkit that is synced so directly into the desktop, it's a major failure on GTK's part that no one else is interested in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Emdek View Post
        There is one big issue with Plasma2, forcing QML, so lots of already existing applets simply won't work without porting from QGraphicsView.
        And it won't be easy for more complex stuff...
        I would expect that while short term there's going to be difficulties related to what's available and bindings (I've not used QGraphicsView, although I am familiar with QML) long term there's going to be some rather significant benefits and it should lower the barrier to entry of new plasmoids, and a bad plasmoid not being able to take down or lock the entire Plasma desktop like can happen right now.

Comment

Yes. Qt decided to hate desktop widgets in the Nokia days. That misnormer haven't been fixed yet. Because KDE have no power over the commercial CLAed Qt. Still KDE is so wimpy they don't dare saying it out loud. That is Stockholm syndrome at a blossom.
          actually - who needs those desktop widgets.
          I dont get it. Even when they first appeared on windows vista I did not get the message how to use them in a productive way. Its just playing around 5 minutes and then de-installing all this bloat.

all I work with are programs running fullscreen so all these widgets would lie on the desktop behind and would never be seen.
          Sometimes I tried these yellow notes widgets but then found storing notes in an email draft or a peace of paper or even a txt file in the right folder much more convenient.

So - can anyone tell me a story of how he / she made PRODUCTIVE use of any desktop widget on any desktop?
          Will there be new / shiny / productive widgets in the ffuture?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            actually - who needs those desktop widgets.
            I dont get it. Even when they first appeared on windows vista I did not get the message how to use them in a productive way. Its just playing around 5 minutes and then de-installing all this bloat.

all I work with are programs running fullscreen so all these widgets would lie on the desktop behind and would never be seen.
            Sometimes I tried these yellow notes widgets but then found storing notes in an email draft or a peace of paper or even a txt file in the right folder much more convenient.

So - can anyone tell me a story of how he / she made PRODUCTIVE use of any desktop widget on any desktop?
            Will there be new / shiny / productive widgets in the ffuture?
            This isn't about that kind of "widget" - it's about declarative (QML) vs "classic" aka QWidget + sublasses approach to create applications. QML is said to be for mobile only by people who could not even tell if the application they are using actually is QML or QWidget-based. Like Honton...

Comment

@Luke_Wolf, sure, for simple ones QML means only advantages. ;-)
              More complex will need to wait for more bindings and data engines.

@tomtomme, "desktop widgets" is wrong term in case of KDE, since all of them could be placed both on panels and desktop (some even could be placed in systray), so you need them unless you use Alt+Tab to switch windows, do not use clock, systray etc. ;-)
              Also desktop widgets were known years before Windows Vista, for example (Super)Karamba, started in 2003.

Comment

The 90s are over. Today you do design driven development. When you codevelop the tools and desktop you can do what you want. KDE can't do this.
                yeah maybe. but isn?t the advantage of Qt then, that it can be cross-plattform easily while GTK+ has problems with that because its so tight to GNOME? So everything has an up and a downside... like everytime. Thats life...

Comment

The 90s are over. Today you do design driven development. When you codevelop the tools and desktop you can do what you want. KDE can't do this.
                  What do you mean KDE can't do what they want? They have the entire kdelibs set as their way of "doing what they want" where they don't like the qt version. Hell, they have their own settings storage config engine and their own dialogs.

Qt doesn't influence KDE"s design at all. Look at the myriad of other qt based software out there - from Tizen to Unity 7 to Virtualbox to VLC - and they all do their own thing. Radically different design. Qt doesn't bind you to any workflow with either widgets or qml - in both, you can implement your own from scratch elements.

Comment

Apart from your persistent trolling, you have a very good point here.

GTK+ is designed with GNOME and only GNOME in mind. So, it must sync with GNOME.

Qt is designed to power Sailfish, Autodesk Maya, BlackBerry 10, custom software by a lot of companies, The Foundry, and is the only toolkit designed to work in Windows and MacOS at the same time, while giving a stellar Linux support. So, it simply cannot sync with KDE. It's pretty ironic that your trolling only highlighted how bigger is Qt than the anemic, underused, and progressively abandoned GTK+.

Please, visit http://qt.digia.com/Qt-in-Use/ if you want more info

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                      Apart from your persistent trolling, you have a very good point here.

GTK+ is designed with GNOME and only GNOME in mind. So, it must sync with GNOME.

Qt is designed to power Sailfish, Autodesk Maya, BlackBerry 10, custom software by a lot of companies, The Foundry, and is the only toolkit designed to work in Windows and MacOS at the same time, while giving a stellar Linux support. So, it simply cannot sync with KDE. It's pretty ironic that your trolling only highlighted how bigger is Qt than the anemic, underused, and progressively abandoned GTK+.

Please, visit http://qt.digia.com/Qt-in-Use/ if you want more info
                      Yes, Qt is becoming the new lingua franca toolkit both across Desktop Enviroments, operating systems and platforms too. All the new non-android smartphones uses it. Qt just keep on expanding its domain. And with the new KDE Framework being feed into the Qt loop, KDE core technology will spread to new DE's and platforms too. KDE technology and Qt everywhere on every platform on every OS. Amazing.

Comment

Working...
                      X