A Look At The New Gedit GUI In GNOME 3.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychoticmeow View Post
    Ah, right, VRAM. How do you measure that?
    NVIDIA's little control panel thing displays VRAM usage.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Lately GNOME software is getting less useful, and more like tablet toys.

We're living in idiocracy.
      Now everything is idiot-compliant and idiot-certified.
      I'd have to disagree. We live in a time when the overabundance of information forces people to become experts at some things at the expense of everything else. Being computer literate is an important tool but also being able to diagnose your own sickness symptoms and being able to change the brake fluid of your car and be your own lawyer in case your boss is suing for something are also important life skills but it is just not feasible to master all of them at once. I bet the same way your mechanic thinks about you as you think about the Gnome team.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        "Elegant and minimalistic" ... i.e., yet another trainwreck.
        doesn't trainwreck.... sound like praise when you look at gedit in 3.12? it's fscking cataclysm

i was avid gedit user, but can't even start imagining using this crap

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
          I'd have to disagree. We live in a time when the overabundance of information forces people to become experts at some things at the expense of everything else. Being computer literate is an important tool but also being able to diagnose your own sickness symptoms and being able to change the brake fluid of your car and be your own lawyer in case your boss is suing for something are also important life skills but it is just not feasible to master all of them at once. I bet the same way your mechanic thinks about you as you think about the Gnome team.
          When my mechanic takes away the option to shut down my car then maybe I would agree.

But as it is, my experience is that mechanics don't look nearly as down on me as the GNOME folks do.

Comment

I'd rather have a global menu.
            Just install this extension (could also be available in your distro package repository or available by default in Gnome Tweak Tool): https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...ications-menu/

I still prefer gnome 2 application menu, but hey it work.

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
              Just install this extension (could also be available in your distro package repository or available by default in Gnome Tweak Tool): https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...ications-menu/

I still prefer gnome 2 application menu, but hey it work.
              That's not a global menu I can see why you're confused though. By app menu, I meant the new menu GNOME introduced for the currently focused application, and by global menu, I meant OSX style.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                Is there anything we can do to keep our thread more professional and constructive, even if everyone does have their own opinion? What is wrong with GNOME applications, including GEdit and why are any of the applications a trainwreck? What, if any changes can be made to suit your likes and personality? What about aesthetics?

For me, what I like is Unity and GNOME 3. I like what I'm seeing for GNOME applications. I like the fact that GNOME is making their applications touch-friendly even though I am using my desktop computer. I do like the ambiance/radiance theme for GNOME applications. I like the fact that the UI controls are fully integrated into a title bar like Mac OS X, which I also like but then some Linux freaks might boo me down for that--heh). One of my favorite feature that I miss in GNOME 3 is the HUD. You hit the Alt key, type a command you're looking for, and hit Enter once you use the up-down arrow keys to select it. HUD is not about searching through files, but through menus of applications -- even complex menus.

Of course, I cannot have it both ways, but if we could share our experience with each other, being that just about everyone have different tastes and workflows, like one prefers Unity (like me but I like GNOME 3), some prefer KDE, XFCE, or whatever desktop environment, we could improve things for the better. Maybe we could fork GNOME 3 and Unity and combine things and mix things up. Make it look unique! Make the desktop look beautiful by having some transparency in titlebars and task bars. What about roll-down notification tray with volume control, networking, mail notification, and social networking combined all in one panel? I'm sure some Windows or Mac users might flock over to Linux. Sure, you can say "my post sucks" but let me ask you this: what is wrong with my post? I mean, why do you not want to see a fork of Unity and GNOME 3 combined and mixed things up? You see what I'm going here?

Of course, there's no need to be a troll unless you want to get your account banned for being a loudmouth but name-calling is completely unnecessary and this thread could get heated. My only advice is to not feed a troll and let it be. No need for bickering.
                I second this. How well said.

Really, can anybody just say what is wrong the new GUI that he hates so much? It would also be much more beneficial to know that than just hearing it's a trainwreck or a piece of crap. Hell, I don't even know what a trainwreck application looks like. Aestethically it looks much better than its Gnome 2 predecessor. Also when using a text editor you still very much use keyboard shortcuts on desktop so why would someone mind that the menu is under an icon? I don't use Gnome either but I like the fact that we have more DE that look substantially different so we can really choose the one that suits us the best.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  When my mechanic takes away the option to shut down my car then maybe I would agree.

But as it is, my experience is that mechanics don't look nearly as down on me as the GNOME folks do.
                  You're just as bad as the people complain about youtube and facebook layout changes.

*ahem*
                  IF YOU DON'T PAY, YOU DON'T GET A SAY

That is a practical mindset to have before you open your mouth to complain about something. Think, did I contribute to it? In the whole scheme of things did I contribute enough to be influential in making decisions?

If you want things to change, then start changing them.

Also, well said GraysonPeddie, well said.
                  Last edited by profoundWHALE; 20 February 2014, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Except that there are GNOME users who were eagerly waiting for GNOME 3, you accuse them of not listening to their users, well, for the most part they've been listening to what people like myself want.

I'm not at all a simple user, I write software for a living and spend a fair chunk of time using the terminal, inkscape or the gimp. What I need is a simple UI that gets out of the way of using the keyboard, I don't need a file manager that does everything, a music player with more panes than I have patience.

That's not to say I love everything about GNOME, the app menu and gear menu are frustrating, I'd rather have a global menu. The removal of transparency from the terminal also cramps my style.

400MB out of 8GB of ram is nothing, poor animation speed and poor graphics drivers on the other hand...
                    so, you
                    - want dialogs having buttons on top? that makes one really consistent desktop when you need more than note taker. to make it worse, gnome people made it as default in Gtk.
                    - search only based desktop where developers have no brains to notice that their solution can't work in multilingual setup
                    - removing application groups while providing dumbest ever solution?
                    - want to have desktop less functional than your phone?
                    - Appmenus you said you don't like, but they are still dumbest solution ever that needs extra mentioning. they fragmented menu in 2 hidden clusterfucks which are on opposite sides of screen to make it worse

misfortune of gnome being default desktop on many distros is single-handedly destroying any chance linux ever had to reach there. if every distro is complete clusterfuck of HIG designs, how does that makes it viable?

i really think that only positive thing gnome could do is die with a little dignity in order to save linux desktop. but, i guess gnome is working towards new 10x10 anyway. last 10 active users in next 10 months

Comment

/yawn

Gnome going downhill, tell me something new.

Comment

Working...
                      X