No announcement yet.

Say Hello To The "KDE Leaks" Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mistakes or no, its a great site that has a good feed of things we are interested in that we can look more into if we want. This beats out most other "geek" news such as slashdot etc because anytime someone posts something specific or technical people freakout that "this is slashdot not Linux Kernel central".

I love phoronix in that its not afraid to get into technical news items and yeah mistakes are bad blah blah blah, but even so it provides a fantastic feed of events that do deserve attention & don't make it into mainstream news.

Keep up the work! I know its hard in our witchhunt & internet justice mob era.

Comment

Well, if anything, this article reminded me that I needed to subscribe to planet.kde.org and planet.opensuse.org to get news from direct sources.

Comment

LOL. Those are KDE developers? I would love to see a fight against the gnomes

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
          They'll steal his trousers.

Comment

I've really appreciated Michael's insight to the Linux world. A lot of sites benchmarking Windows don't even bother to explain what's going on most of the time. Sure, there's the 5% that would, but I'm generally not that person. This site is actually what got me into Linux in the first place when I had only just heard of it.

Comment

Well, Phoronix is a bit of a mix between blogging and journalism, so don't expect BBC quality in here. It's good as it is. I would rather have 5 articles with few mistakes than 1 accurate article.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuchs View Post
                Well, to me it is not really their responsibility to do so, it is rather yours to get things correctly in the first place. I think that this is part of the job for someone who wants to write about Linux stuff in a journalistic manner. If you prefer quantity over quality and think that people should inform you and correct misinformation you spread, then phoronix gets down to the level of a gossip site, and can hardly be considered serious news.

Now if this would happen rarely or every now and then: okay, people do make mistakes. But it seems to me that a G+ or forum entry points at a phoronix mistake at least twice a month. And as an external person not using phoronix that often, this certainly doesn't give me a good impression. So you might want to work on that.

Kind regards,

Fuchs
                You've seen mistakes twice a month?? The New York Times, with a huge editorial army of hundreds of staff totally devoted to avoiding mistakes would be thrilled to only have 2 mistakes per DAY.

In fact, Michael is doing great at keeping the community informed, and the community has a responsibility through the forum to discuss the material and suggest any corrections.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  You've seen mistakes twice a month??
                  No, read again. I am being notified about phoronix mistakes in other places twice a month. If I actually read through the front page of phoronix, it has been already two this week. And two rather major ones.

The New York Times, with a huge editorial army of hundreds of staff totally devoted to avoiding mistakes would be thrilled to only have 2 mistakes per DAY.
                  I doubt that media such as The New York Times really has that amount of mistakes. Note: I am not talking about spelling or grammar mistakes here, if these would count then it would be a couple per article. I am talking about information that is simply wrong, and that could have been written correctly with a few minutes of research.

In fact, Michael is doing great at keeping the community informed
                  I disagree on that. If you manage to spread quite wrong information you are doing the exact opposite of doing great. You are actually doing terrible, because no information at all would be better than spreading wrong information.

and the community has a responsibility through the forum to discuss the material and suggest any corrections.
                  Well, if that indeed is the case, then Phoronix has lost any credibility for me and should, in my opinion, not be quoted or linked by any serious news pages. Because if it is like that, then it is on the same level as either a personal blog or a gossip site. The problem with spreading wrong information in a couple of articles is: if I am aware of the errors because either I do know that topic or because other people point me to it: what about the other articles? I can't trust these as well, because maybe the wrong information has just not been reported yet. So with that amount of (rather grave) mistakes, I can simply not trust any of the articles at all, even those that aren't corrected/updated (yet).

Well, Debian and KDE already, lets see what else this week might bring.

Comment

War with the GNOMES?

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                    If KDE devs intend to fight "gnomes" they need to think first of their opponent's strengths and capabilities. I don't know a whole lot
                    about "gnomes," but let's assume they are similar to "dwarves," who are heavily armored, stout melee fighters who stand their ground.
                    Who are the lightweight, fast/ranged "elves" in this one?

Comment

Die aaron

Aaron seigo always pisses me off some how with 99% of the stupid decisions he makes.. He always has an attitude that like since he is one of the lead developers for KDE that he thinks he is some how the boss over every thing, and that what ever decisions he makes are paramount to every one else's..

Like he wanted to start some weird insider group that one time of developers where not just any one is invited, only him and who ever he deems acceptable could join, although I think that idea fell-through (I forget the details about it now actually)..
                      So yes, it doesn't surprise me if aaron wants to still name nepomuk "nepomuk" instead of "baloo", even though the developer person of baloo doesn't want it to be named after that nepomuk disaster..
                      If would be like: Imagine if you created wayland, and when it was finally 100% completed, aaron comes in and tells you "We are going to name it 'X'"......wouldn't that piss you off?..
                      Of what if you worked really hard to created systemd.......and then when you get done, aaron comes in and tells you "Good job, but we are going to still call it "sysV"..
                      Or what if you bore a new child, and you wanted to name him "Bob", but then aaron comes in to the hospital and tells you "NO..You have to name him rumplestilskin", like wtf, wouldn't that piss you off?!?.. grrrrrrr Like, go away! You didn't create this child, *I* did......god......seriously....

I still don't forgive one of aaron's most stupid decisions that still pisses me off every day: His decision to keep that damned cashew thing on the KDE desktop!.. NO ONE else wanted that stupid thing......every one hated it and every one still hates it...........But aaron alone decided to close that bug report as "won't fix" just because he loves the cashew, and him alone.. It is constantly on every KDE desktop all the time.......If some one takes a screen-shot of a KDE desktop, you instantly know they are using KDE because of that stupid useless cashew that is permanently stuck to your desktop wallpaper.. And no way to get rid of it that I know of (There used to be a plasma widget add-on that would get rid of it, but it stopped working because plasma changed some thing I think)..

Comment

Working...
                      X