KDE's Nepomuk Doesn't Seem To Have A Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carewolf View Post
    The emails and other akonadi data is stored in .local/share/akonadi btw.
    Not unless you've configured that as a storage location for a maildir or mbox resource.

The default path for the first maildir resource is $XDG_DATA_HOME/local-mail.

Migrated older setups can have KMail's storage "mounted" via a special KMail resource. The path can vary depending on the KMail version that originally created the directory, e.g. $HOME/Mail, $HOME/.Mail, $KDEHOME/share/apps/kmail/mail, etc.

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
    unlike old Kmail, akonadi can not store tree subdirs in maildir format
    Yes it can. Both the maildir as well as the kmail compatibilty resource (mixedmaildir) support folder trees..

Cheers,
    _

Comment

• Originally posted by justinzane View Post
      One of the things that I love about Linux (and other *NIX) is the convenience and power of `grep`, `find`, `locate` and other related tools. For most purposes, those are easier for me and more effective than GUI substitutes.
      There are a couple of commandline interfaces for Nepomuk, e.g. nepomuksearch.

A project for a commandline interface to Akonadi exists in early stages:

There is a Google Summer of Code proposal/idea to extend on that http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2014/I...ting_Interface

Cheers,
      _

Comment

• Originally posted by justinzane View Post
        I've never seen someone recommending using Nepomuk for finding a particular bit of code in the way that one would use grep or find on the console.
        Yeah, I am sure most users would love to spend an hour waiting for grep to scan through gigabytes of files. And how, exactly, do you expect to use grep on a binary word processor document or image metadata? The point of modern search programs is that they use a index so you don't need to scan each file line-by-line one-at-a-time.

Comment

• KDE is a community. Plasma workspaces is a desktop environment implemented by KDE, but it is not the same thing as KDE.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
            KDE is a community.

Since when KDE doesn't mean K Desktop Environment ? <__<

Comment

• Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
              Since about 5 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by liam View Post
                So you're saying you aren't able to define it?
                Quite the opposite. I'm saying it was defined in the 80s, and hasn't changed. Again, my analogies are perfect, and you continue to reinforce them. Trains, planes, and automobiles. Three distinct modes of transportation that will never replace each other. Each with it's own use, purpose, and user interface. If MS were to make a train or aircraft, it would have a steering wheel, accelerator pedal, turn signal, and break pedal, and release it under the guise of UI convergence. Pilots and engineers would be infuriated and bewildered in the same manner as Metro Desktop users.

We're in the 'post rail' era, yet trains aren't going anywhere and continue to evolve independently of the other options. We're in the 'Post Automobile' era because we have taken flight, yet automobiles continue to evolve independently of aircraft. We're in the 'post PC' era, but that doesn't mean that the PC is done, and that there needs to be some convergence for the sake of convergence.

I'm loving the trolling BTW. Pretty awesome. I love how you argue my point for me, feign ignorance, and pretend to not know what a PC is. That's pretty cool. Alternatively, you might just be a UI developer at MS/Canonical and have imbibed from the kool-aid fountain of incompetence.

Comment

• Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                  Since ~2-3 years, they changed the naming because I got no idea why. From then "KDE" means the people behind KDE Community, and the desktop is called "KDE SC" (software compilation). Though I have yet to find anyone who doesn't call the desktop just "KDE" like in the old days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                    Since ~2-3 years, they changed the naming because I got no idea why.
                    As far as I understand mostly because they realised that it didn't make any sense anymore to refer to every single product of their portfolio with the same name.
                    Much like Adobe is now the name of the company, its products being Photoshop, etc. and them having a "bundle" called Creative Suite.

In both cases the name of the original product has now become the name of the vendor, each product usually being referred to by a combination of vendor name and product name, e.g. Adobe Photoshop, KDE Kontact.

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                    From then "KDE" means the people behind KDE Community, and the desktop is called "KDE SC" (software compilation).
                    No, KDE Software Compilation refers to the "bundle", the combination of a large portion of the KDE product portfolio. Like on the example of Adobe the Adobe Creative Suite.
                    The desktop is called "Plasma Desktop" or with the vendor name prefixed as "KDE Plasma Desktop".

Actually pretty easy and consistent once one realises that the same concept is widely used by basically all vendors with a wide product range.

Cheers,
                    _

Comment

• Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                      Trains have been supplanted in some regions, for some uses, which is far from disappearing.
                      Actually there might be more trains today in most region than during when the train had the biggest market share among transportation means. The fact that cars and truck have become ubiquitous and gained most of the market share does not mean that the train in itself is any less used.
                      I worded my responses carefully so as to avoid people inferring just what you did.
                      In large metro areas trains are still heavily used (well, in the northeast at any rate) but pretty much everywhere else cars have just utterly supplanted trains as the primary people mover.

Comment

Working...
                      X