GNOME Ended 2013 With 46k Open Bug Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
    Gnome 3 is being designed ignoring the grand scheme of things, as if they were inside a bubble, away from the computing industry.
    Nothing wrong so far, many guys out there think that without any real reason to, but why not...

I think the current best DE is Unity, by far.
    Now, you must be kidding !!!

...And what do you call resolution independence ?
    Last edited by omer666; 11 January 2014, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
      Now, you must be kidding !!!
      Let me guess... Because I have a different opinion than yours (and have shown my reasons, unlike you)?

...And what do you call resolution independence ?
      For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

More info on the first serious plan to achieve this on any current desktop (Linux or not): http://developer.ubuntu.com/api/qml/...-independence/

Comment

Let me guess... Because I have a different opinion than yours (and have shown my reasons, unlike you)?

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

More info on the first serious plan to achieve this on any current desktop (Linux or not): http://developer.ubuntu.com/api/qml/...-independence/
        On the first serious plan?
        I guess that "on the first serious plan that I know" is the correct version.

Comment

I like and use Gnome Shell because
          • need to configure anything after install is minimal
          • one or two windows per virtual desktop works really well with 10" screens up to 24" screens (haven't tested with bigger screens) and this is also the reason why you never need to minimize windows
          • the amount of clutter that distracts from doing work is minimal out of the box

Gnome Shell isn't perfect but it for me it's the best DE available for linux

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
            This is probably going to start a heated debate, but here we go: I would never dream of filing a feature request on free software I have no intention of donating or contributing to, simply being a user does not give me the right to (attempt to) steer the direction of a project. Bug reporting or beta feedback is always good though.

That being said, I'm not perfect and I'll give my opinion on anything if people sit still for long enough...
            I think filing feature requests are fine. Unless of course, you assume that all requested features will be implemented
            Contributing ideas is not "steering" in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post

Trigun, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Princess Mononoke.... I can appreciate, but am not obsessed.
              Just a beginner

Comment

Ahh.. nothing like good old fashioned desktop flamewar every once in a while! Why is it so impossible for people to accept that people in fact have different preferences? Well, at least none of us are suffering from persistent stockholm syndrome like the poor bastards using Windows 8 who can not escape.

I wonder how many invisible, unreported and reported open bugs KDE has, considering I've tried to use it since 4.0 and always something crashes, stops working, hogs 100% of a core or similar stuff. Persistently unusable beta-stage piece of crap has wasted so much time just by trying to see does it work yet it's surreal. KDE is like snakeoil - every release you are promised superpowers if you try it and end up with nauseating diarrhea instead. No wonder city of M?nich with its transition to Linux desktops decided to stick with KDE 3.5. Yeah let that sink in for a while. KDE4 as a usable desktop environment has been one of the largest catastrophies since, I dunno, ever. What little shoddily parsed critical functionality there is which usually doesn't appear to bear any relation to KDE because of apparently missing HIG's usually also works in half-assed way, crashes or simply disappears like a glitchy pirated Donkey Kong game more often than providing that warm feeling of working as excepted without any special fanfares.
                And please spare me from the "oy vey, do try the latest snake-oil" mantra! I've already tried 4.12, KDE is still like that!

There, got to vent my frustration with KDE4 in GNOME3 bug reporting thread! Yay!

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
                  On the first serious plan?
                  I guess that "on the first serious plan that I know" is the correct version.
                  From your link:

"Underlying technology can of course be re-used but you simply can not make a UI which works equally well on a 75 DPI 24" screen with mouse & keyboard, on a 455 dpi touch phone, on a 300 DPI touch tablet and a 64" television with Kinect or something like that..."

WTF??? EVERY book I've read on computer graphics since the eighties (and I've been reading books on CG and UI since then) explains exactly how you do that. The reason it hasn't been done before is a mix of a lack of hardware power and backwards compatibility. It's essentially done how Canonical is tackling it: basing the UI on units that are only indirectly related to pixels and provide appropriate proportions and UI elements for the typical viewing distance. This has been done for years now in websites and is called "responsive design". Canonical is applying those ideas to an OS GUI.

As usual, the KDE guys are fixated on technical issues without actually taking into account the final usability design. It's not surprising that they come up with statements like the one I quote above... God are they lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                    Eh, extensions will always have that problem... it's just not possible to reliably preserve API at that level, when you're changing the functionality. Some extensions keep working just fine (the one I used for sane Alt-Tab behaviour has never been a problem), but e.g the ones that patch the shell dropdown menus broke with 3.10 - unsurprising, given that the dropdown menus in question no longer exist in that form.
                    Strange, then, that other DE's don't have this problem. You don't see plasma widgets breaking everywhere every release, in fact the plasma folks have pretty strict backwards-compatibility guarantees.

In reality, it isn't that hard. You just need to think through the API beforehand. But that is the problem.

Comment

From your link:

"Underlying technology can of course be re-used but you simply can not make a UI which works equally well on a 75 DPI 24" screen with mouse & keyboard, on a 455 dpi touch phone, on a 300 DPI touch tablet and a 64" television with Kinect or something like that..."

WTF??? EVERY book I've read on computer graphics since the eighties (and I've been reading books on CG and UI since then) explains exactly how you do that. The reason it hasn't been done before is a mix of a lack of hardware power and backwards compatibility. It's essentially done how Canonical is tackling it: basing the UI on units that are only indirectly related to pixels and provide appropriate proportions and UI elements for the typical viewing distance. This has been done for years now in websites and is called "responsive design". Canonical is applying those ideas to an OS GUI.

As usual, the KDE guys are fixated on technical issues without actually taking into account the final usability design. It's not surprising that they come up with statements like the one I quote above... God are they lost.
                      No, it isn't.
                      That statement is pretty correct, what that guy means about an UI that works equally well on different screens and input devices is much more than a simple resolution proportion.
                      Devices with different DPI but similar in phisical dimension represent a very different problem than devices with very different phisical dimension even if with similar DPI.
                      A different DPI can be solved by a resolution proportion approach, where the usability of device with very different phisical dimension cannot be solved in the same way.
                      Think about the unity side bar in the ubuntu touch, it takes about 1/5 of the smartphone's width in portrait mode, right?
                      So, in a perfect resolution proprortion UI, when I go on my 29'' tv-monitor, I should see a side bar with a width equal to the 1/5 of the tv's width?
                      A well designed UI makes the best use of the space available, so this statement continues to be true:
                      Underlying technology can of course be re-used but you simply can not make a UI which works equally well on a 75 DPI 24" screen with mouse & keyboard, on a 455 dpi touch phone, on a 300 DPI touch tablet and a 64" television with Kinect or something like that...

Comment

Working...
                      X