X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theora also supports it

Comment

Originally posted by GreekGeek View Post
      To all those with ATI cards, I pass on my deep sympathies. ATI/AMD are woeful indeed, in there driver efforts. The guys from ATI/AMD are excellent at astroturfing this site. I do wish, they would put in the same amount of effort, into there drivers....
      Why the off-topic swipe? And why is the fact that people from AMD post on this website supposed to be a problem?

Especially since most of them that do are from the free driver team.

Comment

ATI/AMD Kat drivers are woeful for blu-ray.

Hi Yall & Hamish,

who asks "Why the off-topic swipe? And why is the fact that people from AMD post on this website supposed to be a problem?"

You seem not to have actually read this thread closely? What is being discussed, is blu-ray playback and I am somewhat baffled you would why are video drivers off-topic. FYI, video drivers help put the images on the screen.... :-p

Ergo Hamish, my comment was a bulls eye!

Also, in the thread, was discussion about upscaling to 4K! Go on, have a wee re-read if you do not believe me. See?! Ok....

Now, back to the crappy ATI/AMD drivers. Which drivers, I hear you ask?

Have a read of this article: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...k_gpus&num=14k seiki

I quote " The only issue to report on the AMD side with the Catalyst Linux driver was small white artifacts appearing on the screen quite often when running at the 4K resolution on Ubuntu.... (and further on), The Radeon R9 290 with its current Linux driver performance issues was at 12 FPS, just 2 FPS ahead of the GTX 770."

I would say, that would effect blu-ray playback alot and is not a tell-tale of a good driver.

The Open-sauce drivers, do no yet support 4K. Those guys do a great job, with limited data. But the fact that the ATI Kat drivers have issues, that is just crap. Anyone wanna see snow, while watching the movie Dune, on blu-ray, on Linux?

No snow on nVida drivers, just desert.

May I suggest Hamish, that too many suggest there is no issue with the ATI drivers, simply ignore the facts. There are a million articles on this site about issues with the drivers, going back years.... I started using ATI kit in about 2000 & stopped a couple of years ago. Great hardware, poor drivers. Similar in Windows, but at least they put a few more devs into the mix. If you can be bothered, you will see me popping up, asking ATI to pick up there game, on this site and around.

By all means, give them some rope if you like. I do not. But I check in once in a while, just in case they have smelt the coffee.... In spite of myself, I still hope. See? That is enough sand-blasting. LOL.

Now, back to keeping an eye on CES & hoping that Seiki, release a 4K monitor, that does 60hz, either via display port or HDMI 2.0.

*BFN*

GreekGeek :-)

Comment

Working...
        X