Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need compatability with my viewer's hardware

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
    And switching 3 discs sucks. BTW, a BD holds 50 gigs, which is about 10x more than a DVD, so to get true compatibly quality you would need about 11 DVDs. Honestly, the LOTR EE is already 2 blurays each, I can't imagine having to switch 20 disks to watch the movie. While 720p stereo maybe OK for you news, there is a huge difference in high quality cinematography between that and uncompressed 1080p with true 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround sound.
    Most of the folks I distribute video to on disc do not have Blu-ray players, and I've never even seen a Blu-ray drive for a computer outside a computer store. What works for me is to forget set-top boxes and distribute data discs only. 1080P at 12000K will max out what my camera can deliver, I can barely make out a difference at 1080p/6000K, and that's on a 22 inch 1080p monitor less than a yard from my face.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
      Most of the folks I distribute video to on disc do not have Blu-ray players, and I've never even seen a Blu-ray drive for a computer outside a computer store. What works for me is to forget set-top boxes and distribute data discs only. 1080P at 12000K will max out what my camera can deliver, I can barely make out a difference at 1080p/6000K, and that's on a 22 inch 1080p monitor less than a yard from my face.
      OK, thats great that you max out your camera. Do you shot on 35mm (~6k) film? 4k/8k digital? IMAX 65mm (~18k)? No, then its moot. Professionally shot movies and cinema are distributed on Blurays, not what you are doing. What you are doing apparently works fine for you, but doesn't work on a detailed well shot film on a 55-65" well calibrated plasma, or even a home projector at 100"+ screen. Like I said, Bluray is currently the best medium to distribute film/media for picture and audio quality, there really is no argument you can make against this that makes sense. And even as high quality as Bluray is, it still can't do things like 4k or even 3D 1080P @48fps.

Comment

BitTorrent is currently the best medium to distribute film/media for picture and audio quality, there really is no argument you can make against this that makes sense.
        Fixed.
        And even as high quality as Bluray is, it still can't do things like 4k or even 3D 1080P @48fps.
        Actually 1080p@48 fps is upsopported too, even without Stereoscopic Video. 720p@60fps can be done, but not 1080p.
        Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 03 January 2014, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          Fixed.
          Lol, well, I don't condone pirating. Also, again, the uncompressed Bluray video/audio is about 40-50 gigs. Most 720p/1080p rips come in around 1-5gigs. There is quality loss. Unless you are torrenting raw 50 gig files, of course.

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          Actually 1080p@48 fps is upsopported too, even without Stereoscopic Video. 720p@60fps can be done, but not 1080p.
          Point taken, although it is more an issue/limitation with HDMI.

Comment

1 gig for a 2 hour HD movie is WAY too compressed

Lol, well, I don't condone pirating. Also, again, the uncompressed Bluray video/audio is about 40-50 gigs. Most 720p/1080p rips come in around 1-5gigs. There is quality loss. Unless you are torrenting raw 50 gig files, of course.

That's nowhere near enough bitrate for high quality video! 1 GB for two ours is only 180MB for 20 minutes. My 20 min year and video required just under 1 gig for 20 minutes to get almost all the camera's quality. I would recommend these rips be at 720p instead, as quality will be higher at such bitrates. I can compress 1080p to 1000K easily enough but it will look barely better than a 360p at the same bitrate. At 5G for a 2 hour movie, you would still be looking at 2.5G/hour or about 850GB for that same 20 minutes. That should be close enough-but not if the movie is a 3 or 4 hour marathon it isn't.

In fact, I regard 1080p is simply impractical for online distribution because the necessary filesize is too much. If Hollywood really doesn't like "piracy" here's a thought: Get their customers hooked on 4K video or on 1080p/3d, and so few people will have the bandwidth to torrent it that their sales will soar. On the other hand, if they have to deliver it on a hard drive because Blu-ray can't handle it, it will be the actual movie theater people have to rely on to se it in full resolution. At that point they can call 360p rips advertisements for the "real thing" and be done with it. The ultimate "DRM" is a file that won't fit through "pirate pipes" and isn't worth shit if compressed until it can.

Comment

HDMI 2.0 can take care of that as can DisplayPort.

Comment

This means Blu-ray fits neither or our needs

OK, thats great that you max out your camera. Do you shot on 35mm (~6k) film? 4k/8k digital? IMAX 65mm (~18k)? No, then its moot. Professionally shot movies and cinema are distributed on Blurays, not what you are doing. What you are doing apparently works fine for you, but doesn't work on a detailed well shot film on a 55-65" well calibrated plasma, or even a home projector at 100"+ screen. Like I said, Bluray is currently the best medium to distribute film/media for picture and audio quality, there really is no argument you can make against this that makes sense. And even as high quality as Bluray is, it still can't do things like 4k or even 3D 1080P @48fps.
                Blu-ray is too expensive for what I do and bigger than it needs to be. I HAVE had some of my works projected, but that was on the road plugging into my netbook that can't play anything bigger than 720P, and screen res limited to 800x600 when a second monitor is used. I don't think that projector went bigger than DVD resolution (720x480) anyway, so the netbook was not the bottleneck.

Remember, my stuff is NOT monetized, meaning it also cannot require $1,000 cameras that can and do get destroyed when the action gets rained on or erupts into a battle between protesters and cops. Also, pro movie cameras are too heavy, too bulky, and too easily damaged for me to take into protests that can erupt into building stormings and street battles. More than once I've had to resort to escape and evasion routines just to get video out. Try being chased over the state line on your bike for filming cops violating protesters rights while lugging a heavy camera that's bigger than your backpack. Certainly you won't be able to ride and film at the same time, a favorite technique of mine. With the camera I use, I can drop it into the neck harness if I have to shoot and scoot or hit traffic/potholes while shooting from the bike. That camera is maxed out at 1080p, and I've never made a video longer than 21 minutes.

On the other hand, for the pro movie type work you do Blu-ray discs can't handle the filesize or the data rate. In other words, we both need different solutions, Blu-ray satisfies neither my cost needs nor your quality needs. I would recommend either large flash drives or small hard drives (whichever is cheaper) if you need to move a 50GB file. Deliver the file, keep the disk. Not sure what movie theaters do, but my guess for digital theaters would be 4K or better delivered by hard drive due to screen size.

Comment

Blue-Ray-Love

Hi guys,

little bit of context first. My Dell 30" died last September and rather than pay a couple of hundred less than I originally paid for another, I jumped onto a 4K 39" Seiki unit. Linux is my main OS, but I do love a round or three of Civ-V :-)

On this thread, I have seen some comment, who do not have a 4K unit but comment freely about upscaling from 1080p/Blu-ray to 4K. I do wonder if they have any experience of the aforesaid setup or simply strongly held convictions?

With a GTX-680 and a blu-ray drive, the upscaling is drop-dead gorgeous. If you have not seen in, feel free to check it out and until then, laters. My sympathies for those who are visually impaired as it is a site to behold. Re-watching some "old" movies, is a bit like seeing them for the first time. Also, you can easily spot poorly done transfers and blue/green-screen work, if done on the cheap, is easier to spot. Case in point, the Superman movie, from 1977. I eagerly await a freshly transfer.

Conversely, upscaling from DVD, does suffer. On those, if you CBF, they turn the monitor down to a 1080p res and watch then.

As others have said, I chose to support the guys who makes the movies and I do not care so much for the DRM. For those who do not want to support these guys, that is up to you....

With the release of libbdplus, I can open a Blu-Ray+ disk, Star Wars-A New Hope. This is progress. But, I can not actually watch it thru, to much visual corruption (DRM-BS). The guys writing the code are making excellent progress and I am very grateful for there efforts! :-) :-)

If you are interested in trying 4K with a Seiki unit, I recommend waiting until after CES, where the generation 2 kit is maybe due for release. What I am hoping for, is 60hz at 4k. If that happens, I will buy a 50" unit. Note, the 4K units out now, do 4K at 30hz and 1080p at 60hz.

To all those with ATI cards, I pass on my deep sympathies. ATI/AMD are woeful indeed, in there driver efforts. The guys from ATI/AMD are excellent at astroturfing this site. I do wish, they would put in the same amount of effort, into there drivers.... :-p

*BFN*

Greekgeek :-)

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Hmm, but wouldn't YouTube just transcode it to 4:2:2 in any case?
                    I wouldn't know, I don't use Youtube. At least it would ensure videos you personally distribute are clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                      On the other hand, for the pro movie type work you do Blu-ray discs can't handle the filesize or the data rate. In other words, we both need different solutions, Blu-ray satisfies neither my cost needs nor your quality needs. I would recommend either large flash drives or small hard drives (whichever is cheaper) if you need to move a 50GB file. Deliver the file, keep the disk. Not sure what movie theaters do, but my guess for digital theaters would be 4K or better delivered by hard drive due to screen size.
                      How about flash cards, as it's done in Lib-Ray.

The whole situation is problematic mostly due to there not being good standards, really. DVDs are much more capable than they appear, just because DVD-Video standards are bad and outdated. Blu-ray standards are updated, so they allow H.264, but soon enough it will be outdated as well. If the video encoding standard was not tied to the physical media, then we could use the same media with higher efficiency as time goes. DRM could also not be tied to the physical media, and thus it would be optional, allowing content creators to choose whether they want DRM or to get more money. And that would also mean that physical media could be swapped at will, so using flash cards etc. instead of discs would also be an option.

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      I wouldn't know, I don't use Youtube. At least it would ensure videos you personally distribute are clear.
                      And I don't distribute videos personally. But I guess this would be a nice thing to test. Interestingly enough, it looks like VP8 doesn't support 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, so I have to use either H.264 or VP9 Profile 1 (which something in my setup apparently doesn't support yet) for that... It's also interesting the ffmpeg by default already records in H.264 yuv444p.

Comment

Working...
                      X