No announcement yet.

MPlayer2 Gone Dark, MPV Is Still Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally don't bother merging external subtitle files most of the time. I'm going to guess many people don't bother doing this either. From my anecdotal perusing of the internet, I see more people trying to get the external subtitle file to be read by the player than trying to figure out how to merge them.

The only time I do merge them is when I transcode my videos for my phone to take up less space on the phone or make it easier to stream from my home PC to my phone over the internet.

So, anybody compare CPU usage among mplayer, mplayer2, mpv and VLC using software decoding?

Comment

Originally posted by guido12 View Post
      So, anybody compare CPU usage among mplayer, mplayer2, mpv and VLC using software decoding?
      I've not done any formal testing, but I have a load of Hi10P videos which only playback smoothly without dropped frames or garbling in mpv. AMD E2-1800, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by aphirst View Post
        I've not done any formal testing, but I have a load of Hi10P videos which only playback smoothly without dropped frames or garbling in mpv. AMD E2-1800, btw.
        Thanks! Hmm, maybe I'll go check mpv out then. I'm using Xubuntu 12.04.3 so I'd probably need to compile it. I hope it's easy. I'm not exactly a Linux expert. Probably not even an average Linux user either in terms of skill. Anyway, less CPU usage means longer battery life for my notebook!

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
          It doesn't take very long to do with the mkvmerge GUI. I don't have to be a normal person to tell you that it's easy to do for normal people. Personally, I carry my own tools for this kind of stuff so I can mux an infinite number of videos automatically ( https://github.com/mmstick/ubuntu-10bit-encoding-tools ) since I have over 13,000 episodes.
          Wow, I'll check out what you have there over the weekend. I've been waiting for a h.264 + opus mkv

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
            Wow, I'll check out what you have there over the weekend. I've been waiting for a h.264 + opus mkv
            The only problem is that most media players do not support playing MKVs with Opus audio. I've reported the bugs to developers like VLC but it has gone 3 weeks without a fix. MPV, however, works perfectly. I would recommend using Ubuntu 14.04 and this PPA as it is built with ffmpeg compiled into mpv and thus bypasses the crappy libav in Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
              YES! I just found this PPA as a Mint 16 user and it's awesome. Freaking libs in Ubuntu/Mint aren't compiled with Opus support for god knows what reason and I finally got past that

The maintainer uploaded version 3.1 a little while ago but for some reason it isn't available on 13.10 based distros yet... (But I see it in the list?)

Comment

All I need is vp9 with hardware decoding with opus. Mmmm

Comment

Still using mplayer2, even if it's dead. I really want to use MPV, but SMPlayer doesn't work with it. (CMPlayer is no substitute; it doesn't even come close to SMPlayer.)

Comment

Currently I use mplayer2 with smplayer. Can't ask for more. Have VLC as a backup. Guess I will change if the mplayer guys keep up with their shenanigans.

Comment

I've spent almost a whole day with mpv, and I've got to say... I'm impressed, and it really is cross platform! I really like it's interface and keyboard shortcuts.

Oh! And I played a 1080p@60fps mkv (h264) and it was the only player that did not have trouble keeping in sync. All the other players would eventually be unable to drop enough frames.
                      Last edited by profoundWHALE; 05 January 2014, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X