Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    VDPAU not there.
    VDPAU has been part of gst-plugins-bad for some time now. It's just that it still isn't good enough

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
      Eh ? RTP is in the application layer; tcp in the transport...
      You are right the name always makes me confuse it with a transport layer... it always sounds like it should be what DCCP is

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        Keep on eye on mpv. It's under heavy development, but I use it as my main player.
        Yeah it might be good, but it is just an mplayer derivative. I want that style of player, but with gstreamer behind it. I don't like Totem very much at all...

Comment

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
          Yeah it might be good, but it is just an mplayer derivative. I want that style of player, but with gstreamer behind it. I don't like Totem very much at all...
          Eh, I count it as much more than "just a derivative".
          First off, it's a fork of MPlayer2 which stopped merging from MPlayer ages ago, not of MPlayer. Second, it has MASSIVE in-house changes over both MPlayer and MPlayer2 (full list here: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/bl...en/changes.rst).

It pulls what it can from the latest MPlayer/2 changes, but it's so much more than it's predecessors

(as a bonus, it runs on Wayland \o/)

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            Eh, I count it as much more than "just a derivative".
            First off, it's a fork of MPlayer2 which stopped merging from MPlayer ages ago, not of MPlayer. Second, it has MASSIVE in-house changes over both MPlayer and MPlayer2 (full list here: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/bl...en/changes.rst).

It pulls what it can from the latest MPlayer/2 changes, but it's so much more than it's predecessors

(as a bonus, it runs on Wayland \o/)
            Ah, fair enough. I didn't realize it had that many changes. Looks like it is in unstable/testing, I should try it. But it still isn't gst based :-P

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
              VDPAU has been part of gst-plugins-bad for some time now. It's just that it still isn't good enough
              What aee the problems?

Comment

I want that style of player, but with gstreamer behind it. I don't like Totem very much at all...
                There is Parole, which has finally moved to GTK 3.x, though it's still lagging behind using gstreamer0.10. If it matters to you, I think you can get gstreamer1.0 if you build git version yourself.

Comment

Ah, fair enough. I didn't realize it had that many changes. Looks like it is in unstable/testing, I should try it. But it still isn't gst based :-P
                  IMHO, it is an advantage of mpv to not be gst based. Gstreamer is nice if you just want to be able to play something in a lot of applications, but forget it if you want to have hardware acceleration. Is there even anyone who could get that to work reasonably? Never did here, not on Ubuntu, Mint or Manjaro (Nvidia and Intel). Mplayer/mpv and VLV are able to use hardware acceleration without big hassle...

Comment

Originally posted by Stebs View Post
                    IMHO, it is an advantage of mpv to not be gst based. Gstreamer is nice if you just want to be able to play something in a lot of applications, but forget it if you want to have hardware acceleration. Is there even anyone who could get that to work reasonably? Never did here, not on Ubuntu, Mint or Manjaro (Nvidia and Intel). Mplayer/mpv and VLV are able to use hardware acceleration without big hassle...
                    Using snappy now, which is gst based. It is pretty similar to VLC in CPU usage (though VLC is more stable in CPU use over time), mpv is rather better. No idea what is accelerated or not, but snappy doesn't have any performance issues here, so I don't care too much (admittedly, this is a quadcore Ivy Bridge...)

Comment

Using snappy now, which is gst based. It is pretty similar to VLC in CPU usage (though VLC is more stable in CPU use over time), mpv is rather better. No idea what is accelerated or not, but snappy doesn't have any performance issues here, so I don't care too much (admittedly, this is a quadcore Ivy Bridge...)
                      Ok, you raised this thread from the dead, so I will leave an update too:
                      Some more tests that I did in the meantime, revealed that modern gstreamer (1.+) does indeed have working hardware accelerated decoding for me (with vaapi on Ivy Bridge) IF I test it on command line.
                      CPU usage is as low as with mpv (and quite lower than with VLC), but acceleration does not work with totem, don't know why (and dont really care anymore), perhaps it uses old gstreamer (0.10)?

Still looking for an application that is able to use gstreamer vaapi encoding and is usable without deep knowledge of command line parameters or special xml files.
                      Latest Transmageddon should be able to use HW encoding, but only by manually editing xml files...
                      Strange that nowadays, with Linux getting more and more interesting for gamers, there is no application for hardware encoded live streaming (to twitch etc.).
                      Theoretically, this should be possible on simple Sandy Bridge+ Noteboooks, using the gstreamer vaapi h.264 encoding capability!?
                      Anyway, all beeing said, I still use mpv as mediaplayer...
                      Last edited by Stebs; 15 April 2014, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X