Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.11.2 Has Many Changes

Phoronix: GNOME 3.11.2 Has Many Changes

The GNOME 3.11.2 development release made it out a few days ago and with it comes many new features as developers work towards the stable GNOME 3.12 release in March...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Honton View Post
    The best feature is the side effect of the upower improvements. It shows how slow and untrustworthy the non-systemd stacks are moving. If the systemd alternatives don't get their act together very soon it is time for Gnome to ditch compatibility entirely instead of waiting.
    B..b..but systemd bloat and Lennart Poettering.

Comment

The best feature is the side effect of the upower improvements. It shows how slow and untrustworthy the non-systemd stacks are moving. If the systemd alternatives don't get their act together very soon it is time for Gnome to ditch compatibility entirely instead of waiting.
      They won't, there's nothing that they could drastically change that would make the system fully dependant on systemd.
      Look at the OpenBSD crew, they managed to port 3.10 over before most distros offered it in their repositories, and without logind support.

So we'll be seeing Gnome on non-Linux for a while yet

Comment

Looks good, on paper, but considering the piss poor state of the 3.10 branch in Debian I expect GNOME 3.12 to hit experimental broken into a half-usable installation for about 6 months after its release, like very other 3.x GNOME release.

Integrate Facebook photos in GNOME Photos

Description

Currently GNOME Online Accounts supports Facebook to access photos, also a GNOME Online Miner for Facebook photos has been developed using the GFBGraph library, which is a GObject library to access the Facebook Graph API. We should allow the user to view his Facebook photos from Photos.
        How about first letting people build a .plist/xml list of pathways stored in a shared preferences locally that allows one to reference their own workflow of photos to be visible as Desktop wallpapers? That would seem obvious.
        Last edited by Marc Driftmeyer; 27 November 2013, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
          Looks good, on paper, but considering the piss poor state of the 3.10 branch in Debian I expect GNOME 3.12 to hit experimental broken into a half-usable installation for about 6 months after its release, like very other 3.x GNOME release.
          It is not clear whether you're laying the blame on Gnome or on Debian. If you mean Gnome, 3.10 has been working fine in Arch since release.

Comment

The OpenBSD crowd does a good job for now. But 3.12 is another beast than 3.10.
            Cat and mouse my friend, they won't give up easily.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
              Cat and mouse my friend, they won't give up easily.
              They should. Gnome has made it quite obvious they like Systemd and what it provides. Gnome has no love for anything outside of Linux, apparently...
              I have nothing against Systemd as an "init", but I hate their bully-methods to get it on every system.

Also, learn to ignore Honton. He's worse than BO$$, and that's saying something. If you try to ask him a direct question, he'll try to answer it with either unsupported data from his head (AKA opinions), or deflect it with a "Gnome > KDE" post (yes, on threads that have nothing to do with KDE) *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                They won't, there's nothing that they could drastically change that would make the system fully dependant on systemd.
                Look at the OpenBSD crew, they managed to port 3.10 over before most distros offered it in their repositories, and without logind support.

So we'll be seeing Gnome on non-Linux for a while yet
                But you'll probably loose some functionality.

Comment

It is free software. You can always ask for a refund. Systemd is developed the same way as the Linux kernel. One monolithic source code blob, reluctance to publish new interfaces etc. Hating systemd is like hating Linux. And you are free to do what you want. You are free to walk away from the two most community based projects.
                  Did I say anything about hating Systemd or the way it was developed? No.
                  I said I hated their methods to force people to use it. There's a difference. I suggest you learn to read.

Also, I love how you slipped "Hating Systemd is like hating Linux" in there, like they have anything to do with one another, like the Linux kernel cares which init system you use. I've got a friend who uses an init system they wrote themselves in BASH. They recently had to switch to eudev though, since udev (DESPITE RUNNING JUST FINE) required Systemd to be installed on their computer.
                  Odd how a piece of software requires another piece of software that it doesn't seem to call to in any way...

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    They should. Gnome has made it quite obvious they like Systemd and what it provides. Gnome has no love for anything outside of Linux, apparently...
                    I have nothing against Systemd as an "init", but I hate their bully-methods to get it on every system.
                    The OpenBSD developers have already given up on that, because they know that Gnome's alleged aiming for portability is nothing like a blatant lie:
                    On OpenBSD we just dropped the features that need systemd for now. There was some talk about porting some
                    systemd interfaces but the path GNOME is currently taking made us stop for now since it seems clearer each
                    day that systemd will be a hard requirement at some point (not just 'some' interfaces). Even if they do not
                    call it a hard requirement, you will loose 1/2 of what makes GNOME interesting which would render it
                    useless to us.
                    So for now it works ok enough I would say, but in the middle term, I don't see any future for !linux+systemd in
                    GNOME. While some people are really opened about keeping fallback code for ConsoleKit or portability
                    patches, some don't care at all or are even getting in our way on purpose.
                    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux....9/focus=187553

Don't get me wrong, Gnome can be dependent on what they want, I don't care. But they should just stop with the obvious lies about portability and how they are not dependent on systemd. If they don't have the balls to do that they should at least bring those developers back in the line that are actively going into the way of Gnome's self declared goals. They can't have the cake and it eat, but in their case it seems that the cake is a lie.

Comment

Working...
                    X