Enlightenment E18 Alpha Release Is Imminent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gens View Post
    compositing under X requires copying things around in memory, so it's cpu consuming and makes delays

compositing under wayland from what i understand is done direct thru DRI
    so it should be really fast, maybe even faster then no compositing under X (as X does final drawing on the cpu)
    I just misunderstood your post. You don't have a problem with compositing (which is what I got) but with how X handles it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
      I just misunderstood your post. You don't have a problem with compositing (which is what I got) but with how X handles it.
      yes
      i went on a bit on how its done since many people misunderstand it
      hope you dont mind

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        They said that e19 (that can use pure wayland) will take less time but knowing E devs this might mean 40 years
        I think the fact that E17 took a dozen years to ship is due to the project being independent. Now E18 has taken 1 year to reach alpha and that is due to Samsung sponsoring Rastermann AFAIR on another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
          I think the fact that E17 took a dozen years to ship is due to the project being independent. Now E18 has taken 1 year to reach alpha and that is due to Samsung sponsoring Rastermann AFAIR on another thread.
          Its true that Samsung pays most of the E devs but they don't pay them to do enlightenment AFAIK. They get payed to develop EFL (for tizen). Its something they do on the side. And it shows in a way.

Plus they are too few people involved in E and no big desktop distro uses it as default in order to get more devs.

Comment

Its true that Samsung pays most of the E devs but they don't pay them to do enlightenment AFAIK. They get payed to develop EFL (for tizen). Its something they do on the side. And it shows in a way.

Plus they are too few people involved in E and no big desktop distro uses it as default in order to get more devs.
            Well, but E becomes indirectly part of their paid job, as it serves as a tool to test the toolkit they get paid to develop. Also, getting paid to do this ground work still helps the desktop itself, although it keeps the desktop side independent from the company's needs.

Comment

wayland is different in that its clients always render directly (over DRI)
              the real task of "compositing" is done by gpu drivers, wayland compositor just tells them where to put things
              Not necessarily GPU drivers, a software rendering backend can also be used. Wayland assumes very little about how things should be done... which is good for the future, means it won't need to be replaced very fast.

Comment

@ Ericg

wayland is different in that its clients always render directly (over DRI)
                the real task of "compositing" is done by gpu drivers, wayland compositor just tells them where to put things

under X e18 fullscreen uses DRI
                just like other compositing DE's

i also thought wayland will be bad 'cuz todays compositing is bad
                I was actually thinking YOU were one the of "Waylands bad because it composites" people lol so we're both a little 'off' on this conversation. And I know that Wayland compositing is going to be infinitely better than X, I just couldn't remember if compositing is -forced- or only assumed.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                  Well, but E becomes indirectly part of their paid job, as it serves as a tool to test the toolkit they get paid to develop. Also, getting paid to do this ground work still helps the desktop itself, although it keeps the desktop side independent from the company's needs.
                  I don't disagree with that (that the E desktop gets the benefits of their paid work). Its just that its not a priority to turn it in a full featured desktop that anyone can use. It's more of a dev tool. Ie. it has an awesome terminal and a really basic File manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    I was actually thinking YOU were one the of "Waylands bad because it composites" people lol so we're both a little 'off' on this conversation. And I know that Wayland compositing is going to be infinitely better than X, I just couldn't remember if compositing is -forced- or only assumed.
                    yes
                    i noted it forces compositing as i doubt many will use it under wayland

am not sure if e18 can even run under wayland

@dee

funny how pixman is used for that
                    just like X uses it

Comment

I don't disagree with that (that the E desktop gets the benefits of their paid work). Its just that its not a priority to turn it in a full featured desktop that anyone can use. It's more of a dev tool. Ie. it has an awesome terminal and a really basic File manager.
                      afaik they found a victim to improve the file manager

i use it as a full DE for a while now
                      it has its bugs, but not more then any other DE

Comment

Working...
                      X