Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New KDE Plasma NM Sees Its First Release

Phoronix: New KDE Plasma NM Sees Its First Release

Plasma NM 0.9.3.0 is a new KDE Plasma applet for NetworkManager in managing network connections and is written in QML/C++. This new version replaces the older widget-based NetworkManagement applet for the KDE desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm this looks nice. I liked the old one just fine but this looks a little more efficient to use, and seems more responsive.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      [b]Plasma NM 0.9.3.0 is a new KDE Plasma applet
      Dear KDE developers,

for the umpteenth time: PLEASE STOP REPLACING BROKEN FEATURES WITH MORE BROKEN FEATURES. KDE 4 was released five years ago and the original NetworkManager applet is so broken that I always just disabled it and used the GNOME nm-applet instead. Instead of just fixing the old stuff now we have a reimplementation atop of bleeding-edge technology and it just looks even more horrible than the old applet.

This is just another iteration of the same pattern: KDE Bluetooth support (kbluetooth) was broken for years, then they reimplemented it (KDEBluetooth), then that was broken, then they reimplemented it (bluedevil), and now we have three implementations, neither of which offers full functionality. For KDE 4.11 they reimplemented the Task Manager applet (I have NO idea why this was even necessary), and it was released a couple of days ago in a broken state: It would show the open windows, but if you clicked on an entry, the window manager would not switch to the selected window. I mean: who breaks an essential feature like the Task Manager and doesn't even check before releasing?

The KDE bugzilla is overflowing with bugs, many things have been broken for years and all the developers seem to care about is creating new frameworks and porting things over to new frameworks with no visible benefit. I have stopped reporting bugs, I do not have the power to fix all those bugs myself, and yesterday I got so fed up that I took the time to ditch KDE for XFCE on all my machines.

Comment

Wow, can't wait to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by sturmflut View Post
          This is just another iteration of the same pattern: KDE Bluetooth support (kbluetooth) was broken for years, then they reimplemented it (KDEBluetooth), then that was broken, then they reimplemented it (bluedevil), and now we have three implementations, neither of which offers full functionality.
          While I do agree to some degree on what you're saying, the API break between Bluez 3 and Bluez 4 was mostly a rewrite, so it was easier to write a new stack from scratch.
          And I find myself comfortable with BlueDevil.

Comment

I hope this don't applys to Bluez5

Comment

Dear KDE developers,

for the umpteenth time: PLEASE STOP REPLACING BROKEN FEATURES WITH MORE BROKEN FEATURES. KDE 4 was released five years ago and the original NetworkManager applet is so broken that I always just disabled it and used the GNOME nm-applet instead. Instead of just fixing the old stuff now we have a reimplementation atop of bleeding-edge technology and it just looks even more horrible than the old applet.

This is just another iteration of the same pattern: KDE Bluetooth support (kbluetooth) was broken for years, then they reimplemented it (KDEBluetooth), then that was broken, then they reimplemented it (bluedevil), and now we have three implementations, neither of which offers full functionality. For KDE 4.11 they reimplemented the Task Manager applet (I have NO idea why this was even necessary), and it was released a couple of days ago in a broken state: It would show the open windows, but if you clicked on an entry, the window manager would not switch to the selected window. I mean: who breaks an essential feature like the Task Manager and doesn't even check before releasing?

The KDE bugzilla is overflowing with bugs, many things have been broken for years and all the developers seem to care about is creating new frameworks and porting things over to new frameworks with no visible benefit. I have stopped reporting bugs, I do not have the power to fix all those bugs myself, and yesterday I got so fed up that I took the time to ditch KDE for XFCE on all my machines.
              KDE 4.11.1 Arch Linux here and the taskbar works perfectly fine and blutooth work really fine too with my phone and tablet, which distro you use? and kde version?

Comment

For KDE 4.11 they reimplemented the Task Manager applet (I have NO idea why this was even necessary)
                Because its part of the push to QML / Qt5 / KF5? The entire thing is being ported over to QML for efficient usage of resources. It also had the added side effect of fixing one bug that no one could figure out related to overlapping items.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
                  KDE's bigger brother
                  KDE existed first. You're a really BAD fanboy when you can't even get history right

Originally posted by Honton View Post
                  Say thanks to Gnome just like you need to say thanks for doing Wayland first.
                  Gnome had a head start, but Martin's been doing more SERIOUS and more low level work in Kwin for YEARS, long before Gnome started to get serious about porting over. You can think him for being the testbed for porting from Xlib to XCB, as well as replacing X-dependent work with X-independent code in window managers.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                    I hope this don't applys to Bluez5
                    Ignore him, he trolls-- a lot. Bluetooth is working just fine here on Fedora 19, Fedora 20 implements bluez5 (which ill be install the fedora 20 alpha test candidate tonight so ill report back on that)

Comment

Working...
                    X