KDE Devises New Release Plan, Frameworks 5 Ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Porting to Frameworks 5 is one necessary step, but far from the last one required. In fact, it's the 1st step.

So, it makes sense to do what they are doing - port KWin to Frameworks 5 first. Then, after that is accomplished, they can focus back on finishing up the rest of the Wayland port for KWin while the rest of the KDE applications are all porting over to Frameworks 5.
    It is neither the first nor the last step. There is nothing preventing working on the wayland port of kwin at the same time kwin is ported to frameworks 5. And in fact this is exactly what has been happening. I still have not seen any indication they have decided to stop all work on the wayland port until frameworks 5 is released.

Comment

KDE apps will run once ported to Frameworks 5 - (at least most of them, or with minimal further porting).

However, that will not provide KWin (and therefore desktop) support. KWin integrates extremely heavily with X - as you would expect, since the entire app was built around being an X window manager.

All that needs to be ported to use the equivalent Wayland APIs. That isn't part of Frameworks 5. There's no need for the libs to implement an entire Wayland compositor like KWin does, they just implement the client parts of the protocol that the applications need.

Porting to Frameworks 5 is one necessary step, but far from the last one required. In fact, it's the 1st step.

So, it makes sense to do what they are doing - port KWin to Frameworks 5 first. Then, after that is accomplished, they can focus back on finishing up the rest of the Wayland port for KWin while the rest of the KDE applications are all porting over to Frameworks 5.
      "KWin integrates extremely heavily with X" wait what?

Martin Gr??lin
      Just got KWin on Qt 5 running with OpenGL 2 and thought I need to post a screenshot.
      For some reason glx is broken, though egl is working fine. I'm not going to investigate that issue and hope that we will have working egl drivers also in the blobs till our release.
      so is this heavily integrated? looks like it's heavily integrated to OpenGL

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
        It is neither the first nor the last step. There is nothing preventing working on the wayland port of kwin at the same time kwin is ported to frameworks 5. And in fact this is exactly what has been happening. I still have not seen any indication they have decided to stop all work on the wayland port until frameworks 5 is released.
        Nothing except the lack of manpower. Which is actually an extremely important something.

Guys, do some research. I'm not making this stuff up, it's coming straight from the mouth of the kwin maintainer.

Since porting to frameworks 5 is a necessary step along the way of getting wayland support, you can say they are never stopping the wayland work. But that's just sophistry - the truth is that right now they are focused on frameworks 5, and after that is working they will switch their focus back to wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
          "KWin integrates extremely heavily with X" wait what?

Martin Gr??lin

so is this heavily integrated? looks like it's heavily integrated to OpenGL
          You don't know what you're talking about.

The OpenGL support is just part of the compositing portion of the code, which is rather minor compared to the rest of KWin.

Try finding all the places that use the xlib or xcb APIs.

Comment

I have to admit I find this discussion highly amusing.

Comment

waah!

Visual impression of phoronix forums:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

You don't know what you're talking about.

The OpenGL support is just part of the compositing portion of the code, which is rather minor compared to the rest of KWin.

Try finding all the places that use the xlib or xcb APIs.
                but you know what glx is Dead!!

Comment

Nothing except the lack of manpower. Which is actually an extremely important something.
                  Except for the fact that the developers have been constantly working on Wayland while doing the Frameworks 5 port at the same time.

Guys, do some research. I'm not making this stuff up, it's coming straight from the mouth of the kwin maintainer.
                  Then it shouldn't be that hard to provide a source, which you have been asked for already.

Since porting to frameworks 5 is a necessary step along the way of getting wayland support, you can say they are never stopping the wayland work. But that's just sophistry - the truth is that right now they are focused on frameworks 5, and after that is working they will switch their focus back to wayland.
                  There is nothing regarding Wayland that depends on Frameworks 5, in fact there is experimental Wayland support in Kwin for 4.11. The thing that Wayland support requires is Qt 5, but that is not the same thing. They can't release the Wayland port before the Frameworks 5 port because of the Qt 5 dependency, but they can certainly include a working Wayland port in the initial Frameworks 5 release.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                    Except for the fact that the developers have been constantly working on Wayland while doing the Frameworks 5 port at the same time. Then it shouldn't be that hard to provide a source, which you have been asked for already.
                    How about this: http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...-frameworks-5/

Originally posted by TheFrickinKWinMaintainerJustLikeISaid
                    With Akademy behind me and the situation about ?what is master? in kde-workspace resolved I decided to switch my work away from Wayland towards getting KWin on top of Qt 5 and KDE Frameworks 5.
                    Originally posted by more
                    But of course at the moment KWin does not work yet when compiled against KF5 as the event filter is not yet ported to xcb. This is what I will focus on next so that we can soon start testing a KWin on 5
                    Originally posted by StillMore
                    Let?s rock to get KWin working on Qt 5 as fast as possible to get an awesome next release.
                    Last week I reported that KWin compiles and links against Qt 5 and KF 5. This week I’m glad to report that I got KWin also to run. The biggest issue was a PEBKAC – if you try to run any…

Since my last blog post there has been lots of progress on the KWin on 5 effort. First of all a big thank you to everybody who has picked up some of the tasks on the trello board. Thanks to that th…

Organize anything, together. Trello is a collaboration tool that organizes your projects into boards. In one glance, know what's being worked on, who's working on what, and where something is in a process.

Now where's your source? Perhaps you can point out the commits, since they are all done in the open. Should be easy.

There is nothing regarding Wayland that depends on Frameworks 5, in fact there is experimental Wayland support in Kwin for 4.11.
                    /sigh
                    That's like saying Ubuntu 3.10 has experimental Mir support. I guess technically that's correct, but it's incredibly stupid. XMir is not Mir, and KWin outputting X to a wayland display is not wayland. It's still X, just like XMir is still X.

The thing that Wayland support requires is Qt 5, but that is not the same thing.
                    /sigh
                    /sigh
                    Qt5 support comes with Frameworks 5. I thought that was understood.

I give up. There's no point continuing this.

Comment

I give up. There's no point continuing this.
                      I think that's a very good idea. It doesn't make sense to say what I am supposed to have said. Both sides in this discussion. As I already wrote: I find this thread highly amusing.

It would be so simple, like just asking me for a statement instead you try to interpret google plus postings on completely unrelated topics and try to interpret them in a way I would not even have imagined in my wildest dreams.

Comment

Working...
                      X