Xine Now Supports VA-API, GL 2.0 Output, EAC3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Hmm, good to know. Thanks for the info. Hopefully if Arch updated xine-lib today, I can try Kaffeine again and see if it surround works; not going to keep my hopes up though.
    You should find xine-config file what kaffeine uses in directory: ~/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine. You could try to configure it with text editor to use surround you want(i.e. add the line what deanjo said).

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
      Krhm that's ubuntu's fault. Kaffeine 1.2.2 can be compiled againts xine-lib 1.2, and it will work just fine with it.
      Why should they? They ship 1.2 and Xine-UI is linked against it...

Ok, they only have Xine-UI compiled with 1.2, all other xine depending progs are done with 1.1. Just too lazy? Dammit.

Anyway, no development in kaffeine for two years (at least no releases) doesn't sound overly promising to me.

But, erm, I think I'm a leeeeeetle OT here :-/

Comment

Hey guys, other than "The freedom to choose" ...is there any reason to still support VLC (the standalone library, not the app), Xine AND Gstreamer? I'm looking especially at KDE phonon where you can switch around backends. If its just an issue of "Freedom to choose" then okay I guess, but just as a user.. It seems like Gstreamer is the best choice if for no better reason than the plugin system-- Something that (as far as I know) neither Library-VLC or Xine have.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          Hey guys, other than "The freedom to choose" ...is there any reason to still support VLC (the standalone library, not the app), Xine AND Gstreamer? I'm looking especially at KDE phonon where you can switch around backends. If its just an issue of "Freedom to choose" then okay I guess, but just as a user.. It seems like Gstreamer is the best choice if for no better reason than the plugin system-- Something that (as far as I know) neither Library-VLC or Xine have.
          Vlc is on more platform as I understands it. I get the impression the phonon dev recommend gstreamer on linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
            Vlc is on more platform as I understands it. I get the impression the phonon dev recommend gstreamer on linux?
            Yeah gstreamer is the recommended-- partially because Xine and VLC both had longstanding bugs that would corrupt the audio under KDE if they were the selected backend, just from Phonon hitting untested codepaths.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by edgar_wibeau View Post
              Why should they? They ship 1.2 and Xine-UI is linked against it...

Ok, they only have Xine-UI compiled with 1.2, all other xine depending progs are done with 1.1. Just too lazy? Dammit.

Anyway, no development in kaffeine for two years (at least no releases) doesn't sound overly promising to me.

But, erm, I think I'm a leeeeeetle OT here :-/
              Yeah well just browsing my bash history. This is what I did to rebuild it from package repos(might need something more...):
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install build-essential fakeroot
              sudo apt-get build-dep kaffeine
              sudo apt-get install libxine2-bin libxine2-console libxine2-dbg libxine2-dev libxine2-doc libxine2-ffmpeg libxine2 libxine2-x 
              mkdir build_kaff
              cd build_kaff
              apt-get source kaffeine
              cd kaffeine-1.2.2/
              fakeroot debian/rules build
              fakeroot debian/rules binary
              cd ..
              sudo dpkg -i kaffeine_1.2.2*.deb
              The most important package was that libxine2-dev(xine-lib 1.2), it should uninstall libxine-dev(xine-lib 1.1) and build kaffeine by using xine-lib 1.2 development files. It should say what xine-lib are in use while doing fakeroot debian/rules build.

Comment

Excellent news!

Comment

Edit: i'm speaking of phonon only.

Xine was the original choice by KDE devs when KDE4 was first coming out. After a while, it became clear that there were some major deficiencies using it as a lib, and most of those devs left for VLC instead. I don't think anyone is really supporting the Xine backend anymore.

The GStreamer backend was more of a separate downstream effort, led by Kubuntu i think, (and maybe other distros) to leverage the fact that their distros were already heavily supporting gstreamer and not vlc.
                  Last edited by smitty3268; 29 May 2013, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Edit: i'm speaking of phonon only.

Xine was the original choice by KDE devs when KDE4 was first coming out. After a while, it became clear that there were some major deficiencies using it as a lib, and most of those devs left for VLC instead. I don't think anyone is really supporting the Xine backend anymore.

The GStreamer backend was more of a separate downstream effort, led by Kubuntu i think, (and maybe other distros) to leverage the fact that their distros were already heavily supporting gstreamer and not vlc.
                    And then there are licensing issues with shipping VLC by default.

Comment

I am (was...) happy, that there was the vlc phonon-backend, when phonon-gstreamer-devs said they won't support non-pulseaudio-setups in the future (which most probably won't happen as it looks now). And AFAIK the different backends are developed by different devs.
                      And vlc is of course driven by plugins! It just does not split them over many packages but bundles them in one single source tarball. Even xine-lib splits out functionality into plugins...

Comment

Working...
                      X