Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State Of PackageKit, AppStream, & Listaller

Phoronix: The State Of PackageKit, AppStream, & Listaller

Matthias Klumpp has written about the current state of PackageKit, AppStream, and Listaller for cross-Linux distribution package management and installation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Given that even Gentoo (*gasp*) supports PK, what's Ubuntu's excuse not to?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Given that even Gentoo (*gasp*) supports PK, what's Ubuntu's excuse not to?
      They're a special little snowflake?
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

PackageKit is used in almost all major Linux distributions, except for Ubuntu. But even Ubuntu has written some compatibility layer, so most calls to PackageKit will work.
        Well, it doesn't seem to be completely inoperational. I wonder what was their reason for doing this - I haven't gotten the dev meeting notes when they were deciding this.

Comment

Am hoping ubuntu adopts linstaller, 0install or Nix...

Comment

Woot, appstore for Linux .

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
              Am hoping ubuntu adopts linstaller, 0install or Nix...
              Ubuntu is creating their own solution as usual so that's unlikely!

"I find it very sad that so many parties currently start reinventing the basic ideas of Listaller, instead of helping the Listaller project to improve, and kill the remaining flaws," Matthias Klumpp, creator of the Listaller package-management system, wrote in reply to Watson.
              Last edited by nej_simon; 13 May 2013, 04:43 AM.

Comment

When was appstream created and discussed Ubuntu devs where there and they liked the idea.As far as i can tell Ubuntu's collaboration was critical in some way.
                Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So,
                1st they were collaborative.
                2nd PackageKit was broken and bad frontend for a very long time and a lot of effort when't to fix that on Canonical (not directly to project) end so that we have sensible App management (search/installation/removal) .

To have a better picture of the situation here is in Michael words :

Ubuntu's Software Center will serve as the front-end user-interface after it's been ported to utilize PackageKit. Xapian (already used by Ubuntu ) servers will then power the search and utilize the Open Collaboration Service (OCS) for some of the social aspects like user ratings and reviews. The AppStream interface will just be a front-end to PackageKit so that each distribution can then continue rely upon their existing package management systems, but the complexities are hidden from the user.
                Last edited by kUrb1a; 13 May 2013, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                  Woot, appstore for Linux .
                  I like my package managers just fine, thank you very much.

Comment

+1

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    I like my package managers just fine, thank you very much.
                    I approve this comment.

Comment

Working...
                    X