Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightworks Linux Beta Is Finally Public

Phoronix: Lightworks Linux Beta Is Finally Public

After years of waiting, there is finally a publicly available beta of the Lightworks high-end non-linear video editing software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No thanks

filling out the short form and agreeing to the Terms and Conditions...
    Thanks, but no thanks.
    Free software means you should be able to use things without have to agree to anything.
    Freedom 0: The freedom to run the program for any purpose.

This Beta version contains the new EditShare Licensing Service (ELS) which will allow users to sign in to the application using their Lightworks Username and Password (an internet connection MUST be present on the system) When signing in each new user will be automatically given a complimentary seven day Pro license to test the Pro version of Lightworks, this is renewable at the end of the seven days by simply signing back in to the application."
    Do not want licensing service, do not want an account, do not want to sign in, do not want forced DRM Internet connection, and do not want a seven-day trial pro license.

Fuck this shit.

Comment

Yeah.... call me again when there's an actual open source release =/

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Thanks, but no thanks.
        Free software means you should be able to use things without have to agree to anything.
        It's not open source software (although, future plans entail opencore, afaik) and is not GPL'd software, therefore there is no real reason to apply the 4 freedoms here. - it is well-established that lightworks is proprietary - if you don't like it - go use something else.

Do not want licensing service, do not want an account, do not want to sign in, do not want forced DRM Internet connection, and do not want a seven-day trial pro license.

Fuck this shit.
        lol.

Lightworks is just coming out of (closed) Alpha program into (public) Beta. I'm sure at this point, EditShare would prefer people who are _actually_ interested participating in making the software better through bug reporting (any bug tracker requires an account), forum participation (requires account), etc. - since you are unwilling to do something as simple as creating an account (in order to participate) and agreeing to their terms of service (which you do all the time for other services, im sure) - You would be USELESS to the beta program anyway.

Would you like some cheese to go with your w(h)ine? The spilled milk factory may be hiring too - if you are interested, you seem like a likely candidate for the job

personally, i think their strategy/methodology is good here, it makes sure people who aren't going to actually participate, don't bother to sign up. (like you).

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
          ILightworks is just coming out of (closed) Alpha program into (public) Beta. I'm sure at this point, EditShare would prefer people who are _actually_ interested participating in making the software better through bug reporting (any bug tracker requires an account), forum participation (requires account), etc. - since you are unwilling to do something as simple as creating an account (in order to participate) and agreeing to their terms of service (which you do all the time for other services, im sure) - You would be USELESS to the beta program anyway.

Would you like some cheese to go with your w(h)ine? The spilled milk factory may be hiring too - if you are interested, you seem like a likely candidate for the job

personally, i think their strategy/methodology is good here, it makes sure people who aren't going to actually participate, don't bother to sign up. (like you).
          Ubuntu doesn't requrire you to have an account.
          I use Ubuntu alphas and betas.
          I got myself an Launchpad account, and have reported several bugs and even helped fix them by providing debug backtraces.

Comment

Thanks, but no thanks.

Fuck this shit.
            What part of FREEWARE do you not understand? Lightworks isn't F/OSS it's no different then TeamFortress2 you get it for free, you have to agree to the terms of Steam and you don't get the source to the game. Same goes for Avast! antivirus for Linux, it's free, requires free regestration, you don't get the source, but it is free and very useful if you need to sanitize things for Windows boxes or to clean windows boxes since the F/OSS ClamAV isn't all that great so you should hit it with both.

So, go fuck yourself.

Comment

Ubuntu doesn't requrire you to have an account.
              I use Ubuntu alphas and betas.
              I got myself an Launchpad account, and have reported several bugs and even helped fix them by providing debug backtraces.
              wow, you can cut and paste from a terminal - you deserve a metal!

This should've been obvious to anyone (except apparently not you), but Ubuntu is not a *proprietary* non-linear video editor, being ported to Linux, now is it? - if your answer is no, then why are you acting as if they are the same?

...and you do agree to Canonical's terms when you are running Ubuntu (whether you realize it or not) and there is such a thing called the "Canonical License Agreement" - which some feel is quite dubious in some ways (and frowned upon by some, since it allows them to lockup subsequent changes to your contributed code via re-licensing, if you agree to the CLA terms), when contributing to Ubuntu - Combine that on top of the fact that Canonical sells your keystrokes/searches by default in Ubuntu to amazon and all i have to say is that you come off like a total hypocrite whining about Lightworks, when you then praise Ubuntu - when they install spyware by default and have consciously made a license that allows them to screw their own contributors/developers....

So Ubuntu;

1). you agree to terms of service
              2). uses CLA to exploit contributors/developers
              3). requiring an account at launchpad
              4). require account for forums
              5). including malware enabled by default

= GOOD

...and EditShare

1). you agree to terms of service
              2). porting hi-end/Professional *proprietary* Non-linear editor to Linux (the only pro-quality video editor for linux)
              3). with plans of having opensource-core in future / re-license (open) code
              4). require account to participate in forums and bug tracker
              5). has DRM / license (a license which is conveniently managed via your account).

= EVIL

they both have terms of service, they both require accounts. Ubuntu is based on open-source software, yet is shady with their CLA (which allows them to close-up your code), Lightworks is proprietary software, with long-term goals of being/having an Open-core (ironic isn't it? - you defending Canonical, when they actually could take advantage of your contributions)... Ubuntu includes malware/spyware *enabled by default* and sell your personal information. EditShare has DRM to protect their proprietary application...

i'm not sure you really have me convinced Canonical/Ubuntu are any better, at all. (if that's how you're trying to paint it). Canonical is shady, craps all over other FOSS projects (Wayland, as newer example), generally they exaggerate and/or lie about their own contributions (like claiming invention of 6 month cycle, for example) and can abuse their contributors/developers via CLA.
              Last edited by ninez; 30 April 2013, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                What part of FREEWARE do you not understand? Lightworks isn't F/OSS it's no different then TeamFortress2 you get it for free, you have to agree to the terms of Steam and you don't get the source to the game. Same goes for Avast! antivirus for Linux, it's free, requires free regestration, you don't get the source, but it is free and very useful if you need to sanitize things for Windows boxes or to clean windows boxes since the F/OSS ClamAV isn't all that great so you should hit it with both.

So, go fuck yourself.
                I did the mistake of assuming that Lightworks was open source, since I've earlier read about it becoming open source. But apparently its all been talk so far.

Fuck freeware. Fuck this shit. Source or gtfo!

Comment

I did the mistake of assuming that Lightworks was open source, since I've earlier read about it becoming open source. But apparently its all been talk so far.

Fuck freeware. Fuck this shit. Source or gtfo!
                  OSS video editing tried and failed several times, to the point that almost all ofthe projects that where looking to make anything beyond the most basic functions was abandoned. Some of us needed a reason to finally leave OS X or Windows for video editing and this is it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                    OSS video editing tried and failed several times, to the point that almost all ofthe projects that where looking to make anything beyond the most basic functions was abandoned. Some of us needed a reason to finally leave OS X or Windows for video editing and this is it.
                    I think the people using OS X and Windows can stay there.
                    Maybe they like OS X and Windows, then thats great for them.

Don't need them.

Comment

Working...
                    X