Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Unity Existed Before The GNOME Shell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Unity Existed Before The GNOME Shell?

Phoronix: Ubuntu Unity Existed Before The GNOME Shell?

Mark Shuttleworth has irritated some open-source developers by his latest claim: Ubuntu's Unity existed before the GNOME Shell...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Shark Muddleworth is CLA-loving liar.

Comment

This man's lies go on and on...

I don't know what is the sadest part: That a "humanity-to-others" leader is showing his true colors and is attacking those he leeches from, or the armies of idiots who will take his side?

Comment

He really shouldn't try and get into the mud the Linux community likes to spread about everywhere.

Comment

RedHat for rescue

I really wish RedHat would invest a little bit more into the Desktop, to fight Ubuntus dominance on the desktop avoiding a vendor-lock-in of the desktop user-space.
          However, when looking at Fedora-18 this won't probably happen overnight :/

Comment

staahp! I'm out of popcorn!
            Redhat's primary interest isn't in the desktop. The best way to change the course of all this is to pick a DE/project, and help out in ANY way you can/want. bugtesting/reporting, translations, uasbility surveys and, if you're up to it, patching and coding.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
              I really wish RedHat would invest a little bit more into the Desktop, to fight Ubuntus dominance on the desktop avoiding a vendor-lock-in of the desktop user-space.
              You mean the like this?

Comment

Well they already offer the least CLA-dependent desktop and they are not struggling on a financial level. Gnome 3.8 is out in a few weeks so it is just the matter of the community accepting the sofftware.

Comment

Taking credit or blame?

If Mark Shuttleworth's claims are true, that just means Unity is to blame for GNOME shell, and also Ubuntu is to blame for the system of churning out releases every 6 months.

Comment

MORE? Do you even have the slightest clue what RH does for desktops? RH is the biggest contributor to GNOME (incl. GTK), does much low-level plumbing work for KDE (Dan Vr?til for example works on screen management and Telepathy-KDE), works on LibreOffice, and so on.

Fedora 18's install routine was bad, according to reviewers. So what. Doesn't change RH's commitment to desktops.

Comment

Working...
                    X