Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Audio Editing Is Better With Ardour 3.0

Phoronix: Linux Audio Editing Is Better With Ardour 3.0

The high-end open-source audio workstation software Ardour is up to version 3.0. Ardour 3.0 features many improvements to this GPLv2+ software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No KLANG support? Lol

Comment

Too late but better than nothing

It has been over a year since development work for 3.0 version started. This version packs many differences and improvements from the 2.x and has been long waited for. The release seems like a premature one (the buglist on the roadmap for 3.0 was %60 or so fixed) to attract more user feedback and possible developer contribution. So we may call it betaish. But I hope all remaining problems will be sorted out and we will have a fully stable ardour 3.x in the coming months. Good work ardour team!
      Last edited by glxextxexlg; 12 March 2013, 06:05 AM.

Comment

I'm currently using Reaper and I'm afraid to use Ardour. What if they decide that VST support is not a good idea and decide to remove it? This will leave people in the cold after they've invested considerable time in their Ardour projects.

Comment

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
          It has been over a year since development work for 3.0 version started. This version packs many differences and improvements from the 2.x and has been long waited for. The release seems like a premature one (the buglist on the roadmap for 3.0 was %60 or so fixed) to attract more user feedback and possible developer contribution. So we may call it betaish. But I hope all remaining problems will be sorted out and we will have a fully stable ardour 3.x in the coming months. Good work ardour team!
          Who is that "we" that may call it betaish, and why are you talking for them?

And btw, "over a year since development started"? You bet! MIDI tracks have been in the works since 2006. So it's safe to say that it's at least 7 years in the works It's also pretty stable.

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          I'm currently using Reaper and I'm afraid to use Ardour. What if they decide that VST support is not a good idea and decide to remove it? This will leave people in the cold after they've invested considerable time in their Ardour projects.
          Which VST support? There's Linux VST support that was added by a developer from linuxDSP who is a good friend of Paul. It's very stable and reliable. And then there's Windows VST support via WINE that's never going to be stable and hence isn't available by default. Make your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
            Which VST support? There's Linux VST support that was added by a developer from linuxDSP who is a good friend of Paul. It's very stable and reliable. And then there's Windows VST support via WINE that's never going to be stable and hence isn't available by default. Make your choice.
            Oh. I didn't know that it can't run Windows VSTs (I didn't even know that VSTs can be Linux-specific at all.) Well, not a choice at all then I guess. Sticking with Reaper.

Comment

Oh. I didn't know that it can't run Windows VSTs...
              You are an amazingly selective reader.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
                You are an amazingly selective reader.
                No I'm not. If it's not official I'm not gonna use it since it's not guaranteed to stay. DAW applications do not support open formats (they don't exist, AFAIK) where I can switch to another software, like from MS Office to OO or LO, or from Photoshop to Gimp. If I produce something in a DAW, the project is locked there. If support for something goes away in the future, you're fucked. And if something is not official, people won't risk using it because, again, you can't switch later to another DAW.

Currently, using a DAW is a vendor lock-in thingy. You stick with it if it looks like it provides long-term support for something you need. With some third-party, unofficial and unstable support for Windows VSTs you get zero long-term support guarantees.
                Last edited by RealNC; 14 March 2013, 02:18 AM.

Comment

No I'm not. If it's not official I'm not gonna use it since it's not guaranteed to stay.
                  And that of course means it doesn't exist? Wow.

DAW applications do not support open formats (they don't exist, AFAIK)
                  There are open formats. Just like there is AATranslator for converting project data between DAWs.

Currently, using a DAW is a vendor lock-in thingy.
                  That, at least, is true to a certain extent.

Comment

btw if this release opens the way to a native reaper release for linux then ardour will fulfill its duty. who cares about paul's monthly income from ardour being hardly enough to keep him developing and mindless zealots that follow him (while the development is soo slow?) development of ardour is slow because paul davis has set up a system that every donation or subscription is paid directly to him and not distributed among developers fairly. as a result no clever developer helps him finish the job only mindless zealots do

Comment

Working...
                    X