No announcement yet.

Calligra 2.6 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my understanding is that the wordprocessor is the youngest part of the suite. It's one of the few parts that date after the KOffice split. I have been doing a bit of editing with it and so far I am happy. Krita 2.6 is awesome and well worth the update

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
      ability to save in legacy (.doc, .docx) formats (+ improve LO .odt compatibility, especially presentations can look very different)
      Save support for both formats is not needed. RTF is the superior legacy format: Not only is it fully documented and there is probably not a single application out there that understands .doc but not RTF.

Originally posted by kayosiii View Post
      my understanding is that the wordprocessor is the youngest part of the suite. It's one of the few parts that date after the KOffice split. I have been doing a bit of editing with it and so far I am happy. Krita 2.6 is awesome and well worth the update
      Yes, Calligra Words is a new project. Some pieces were ported from KWord but the majority is new which is also the reason why Words has no RTF export (which KWord had ? the internal architecture is too different for a simple port).

Comment

Spell checker

Where is it?

Last time I used Calligra it had some option for autocheck.

It's like Microsoft/Apple trying to sell you Maps when Googles are far superior.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
          Where is it?

Last time I used Calligra it had some option for autocheck.

It's like Microsoft/Apple trying to sell you Maps when Googles are far superior.
          setting/spell check/auto spell check

I think it use aspell so you probably need to install that.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
            Krita is a great painting program! Can't wait till Arch gets 2.6 so I can play with all the improvements
            Yes. In my experience it's the most advanced digital drawing/painting software in existence, there's simply no better alternative, either proprietary or free. But they should really advertise it better because almost no one seems to know about it.

As for the rest of Calligra, I've no idea, LibreOffice has always worked fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              Yes. In my experience it's the most advanced digital drawing/painting software in existence, there's simply no better alternative, either proprietary or free. But they should really advertise it better because almost no one seems to know about it.

As for the rest of Calligra, I've no idea, LibreOffice has always worked fine for me.
              Try painter x.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                Try painter x.
                What's that, some kind of windows program? Nope, I'll stick with the best, thank you.

I just got Krita updated to 2.6, everything looks great so far - no huge changes in the interface but lots of improvements under the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  What's that, some kind of windows program?
                  Painter is also an OSX program and Painter is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    Painter is also an OSX program and Painter is the best.
                    I've used Painter and Photoshop in the past and honestly, short of a few bugs, Krita takes the cake for painting. There ARE a few brushes and filters the others have that Krita lacks, but Krita's brush system has a wider range of possibilities than even Painter (NOTICE: last version I used was Painter 11, not 12). Painter and Photoshop both run much slower as well (Painter 11/CS5 vs Krita 2.6), at least in my experience. I would compare with newer version of Photoshop and Painter, but I'm on Linux and I don't care much. Krita, MyPaint, Inkscape, Gimp, and Blender are more than enough for my artistic abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
                      Krita, MyPaint, Inkscape, Gimp, and Blender are more than enough for my artistic abilities.
                      Yessss. I don't use Mypaint or Blender though, I find that anything I could do in Mypaint I can just as easily do in Krita, and I'm not really into 3d that much.

But really, I don't see any need for photoshop, except for a very few niche applications that still can't be done with free software (I think there was some stuff having to do with photography and raw processing, but I'm not sure). Krita also saves in PSD now, so that's one less roadblock for linux artists.

Krita's brush system really is awesome, there just isn't anything comparable. I only wish they'd remove that damn sketch brush, because it keeps me from doing anything productive, wasting all my time just playing with the endless possibilities of it....

Comment

Working...
                      X