Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Looking At Office For Linux In 2014

Phoronix: Microsoft Looking At Office For Linux In 2014

It seems thanks to the increasing market-share of Android devices and the rise of Linux on the desktop thanks to the many commercial Linux gaming initiatives that have been shared in recent months, Microsoft is being forced to take a serious look at Linux and a meaningful look at releasing their popular Office software for Linux in 2014...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess this is good, but I'll stick to LibreOffice, thank you.

Comment

If there isn't going to be one major fuckup in the near future (like the transition to Wayland etc.), I think Linux desktop *will* finally breakthrough. For real this time.

Just wanted to get that out before the upcoming "oh no! Microsoft is killing Linux!" posts.

Comment

This has got to be an April fools. Just thinking about it causes a headache.

Comment

People run from Microsoft. Microsoft old strategy - lock up everything and shit on every other platform. That failed. Microsoft new strategy - pursue the people to their new platforms.

I am more than sure that new "solutions" will be feature reduced on non-microsoft systems, will work with non-microsoft documents very badly and will do everything to advertize microsoft platform.

I am not expecting wonders from the shit company of this scale.

Comment

Thorvalds once said...

Thorvalds once said something like "when Microsoft starts writing software for Linux, I have won". I think he basically meant that he was not very interested in market shares etc, but that this would be a recognition that the platform had become important. Unfortunately I do not remember the context of the above standing quote.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              Just wanted to get that out before the upcoming "oh no! Microsoft is killing Linux!" posts.
              It's rather opposite. They know they can't win in the long run, so they have to change their strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
                Thorvalds once said something like "when Microsoft starts writing software for Linux, I have won". I think he basically meant that he was not very interested in market shares etc, but that this would be a recognition that the platform had become important. Unfortunately I do not remember the context of the above standing quote.
                "When Microsoft writes an application for Linux, I've Won." - Linus Torvalds
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                  I guess this is good, but I'll stick to LibreOffice, thank you.
                  MS Office on Linux will push the LibreOffice developers to get their act in gear. Competition works both ways. Yay!

Office is already running on BSD (OSX) so the Linux port should not be too hard. It's already running in two different GUI environments, adding a third would not be a stretch.

Who knows they could be maintaining an internal port to linux all along without releasing it, just preparing for the inevitable. They can just whip back the curtain at the appropriate moment. It would not be the first time for such a thing. Apple maintained an Intel port for years before they made their public announcement. Sun had a port of Solaris running on intel since '386 days but it went internal for many years after the "Sun 386i" debacle.

Comment

Microsoft's real moneymaker has always been office. If they see linux become viable for the desktop then I could see them doing this, to make sure they lock as many people as possible into their office ecosystem.

Comment

Working...
                    X