Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Year Old KDE Bug Finally Gets Fixed

Phoronix: 10 Year Old KDE Bug Finally Gets Fixed

A bug that has been present in the KDE Libraries for the past decade has finally been fixed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fine, now on to https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=183458 from 2009.

There are several duplicates of this bug and for several of the more recent ones don't seem to remember this. This seems to be a very relevant unresolved bug from 2003 in kde3: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=56871

Comment

The 10 year old bug isn't very bad since apparently it went unnoticed for 10 years

Comment

KDE knows nothing about QA

Really cool, they fixed a bug that probably nobody noticed for 10 years, while there are billions of tickets in the bugtracker, lot of them confirmed and untouched for years. They can keep going releasing "Major" 4.x releases whose biggest feature is "fixing bugs" and "Minor" 4.x.y releases with lot of changes breaking things even more.
        Come on KDE, do some %$%!!#% QA, show that you care at least a little bit for your users. I'd love to go back to KDE...

Did you notice why Thiago fixed this bug ? Not because it was breaking 10k people or was voted the most in bugzilla, but because HE was hit by the bug.

Comment

Better late than never

Comment

Originally posted by orzel View Post
            Did you notice why Thiago fixed this bug ? Not because it was breaking 10k people or was voted the most in bugzilla, but because HE was hit by the bug.
            It seems to me that you're not a hobbyist open source developer. Rather you seem like an entitled user that thinks that 'the community' exists to satisfy them. Stop and think for any piece of software you regularly use "if I was a developer on this project, which bugs would I fix?" Ignoring that some problems can be fixed in a couple hours, and some require extended periods of time and focus, I'm fairly confident that most of the bugs you would fix are ones you yourself or your friends/people you talk to encounter. Luckily there is probably a large overlap between bugs that affect you, and bugs that affect other users, but sometimes there isn't, and nagging is not motivating.

The other aspect of complexity is also important. If a user nags me I might spend a couple hours getting to the bottom of a problem and fixing it, but I probably won't ignore my family for a few weeks to do so unless those users are paying my salary.

Comment

Really cool, they fixed a bug that probably nobody noticed for 10 years, while there are billions of tickets in the bugtracker, lot of them confirmed and untouched for years. They can keep going releasing "Major" 4.x releases whose biggest feature is "fixing bugs" and "Minor" 4.x.y releases with lot of changes breaking things even more.
              Come on KDE, do some %$%!!#% QA, show that you care at least a little bit for your users. I'd love to go back to KDE...

Welcome to open source, man, community doesnt OWE you shit. You scratch your own itches. Thiago fixed this bug because it was an impediment to an itch he wanted to scratch. If your own itch happens to be seeing the most voted bugs on bugzilla finally fixed..then maybe you should roll up your sleeves and start helping. Otherwise sit down, shutup, and just be thankful for what you do already have.

Signed
              A-User-Who-HAS-Submitted-Patches-For-KDE-Bugs
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Welcome to open source, man, community doesnt OWE you shit. You scratch your own itches. Thiago fixed this bug because it was an impediment to an itch he wanted to scratch. If your own itch happens to be seeing the most voted bugs on bugzilla finally fixed..then maybe you should roll up your sleeves and start helping. Otherwise sit down, shutup, and just be thankful for what you do already have.

Signed
                A-User-Who-HAS-Submitted-Patches-For-KDE-Bugs
                Some of us aren't coders. Some of us just want to use this stuff, and forgive me, but I don't see your attitude helping. I may not have submitted patches for software I've used, but I have reported bugs and tested patches that attempted to fix them.
                Speaking of things I'm thankful for, there are projects I use where bugs are fairly efficiently identified and fixed, and where the community is a little more helpful than that. If you want to hang on to users who are just that, "users", then some people might have to adjust their attitudes a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Redshirt001 View Post
                  Some of us aren't coders. Some of us just want to use this stuff, and forgive me, but I don't see your attitude helping. I may not have submitted patches for software I've used, but I have reported bugs and tested patches that attempted to fix them.
                  Speaking of things I'm thankful for, there are projects I use where bugs are fairly efficiently identified and fixed, and where the community is a little more helpful than that. If you want to hang on to users who are just that, "users", then some people might have to adjust their attitudes a little.
                  I'll apologize for my attitude only because i was in a pretty crappy mood when I read his post. And i'll grant you that just even reporting bugs and testing their possible fixes helps tremendously. It was just his attitude about which bugs were getting fixed that really bugged me.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Come on KDE, do some %$%!!#% QA, show that you care at least a little bit for your users.
                    In case of community software even QA has to be done by the community.

Originally posted by Redshirt001 View Post
                    No matter how many bug reports you filed or how many patches you tested, you are still not entitled to anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X