Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consort Desktop: A New Fork Of GNOME Classic

Phoronix: Consort Desktop: A New Fork Of GNOME Classic

The Debian-powered SolusOS Linux distribution has forked GNOME Classic into the Consort Desktop Environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    [Why another fork?] Mainly to protect the users of our desktop components. Pinning patched packages higher than underlying packages proves far too tricky. The amount of patches in each mentioned component qualifies fork-status anyway, so it was time to admit it.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI3NzM
    Really? I don't see a reason not to collaborate with Mate or Cinnamon. Or am I missing something here? What are the Mate and Cinnamon projects doing which is not liked by SolusOS?

EDIT: I figured it out from the comments made in the blogpost annoucing this decision.

Mate is based on 'dead technology' and a 'complete fork of GNOME2' yet 'incompatible with GNOME itself(!)'. Consort only forks the fallback parts.

Cinnamon is 'is still a fallback session for a fork of a 3D environment using software rendering'. What is that supposed to mean?

EDIT2: After reading all of this, why not go with XFCE already? lol
    Last edited by Rexilion; 17 January 2013, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
      Really? I don't see a reason not to collaborate with Mate or Cinnamon. Or am I missing something here? What are the Mate and Cinnamon projects doing which is not liked by SolusOS?

EDIT: I figured it out from the comments made in the blogpost annoucing this decision.

Mate is based on 'dead technology' and a 'complete fork of GNOME2' yet 'incompatible with GNOME itself(!)'. Consort only forks the fallback parts.

Cinnamon is 'is still a fallback session for a fork of a 3D environment using software rendering'. What is that supposed to mean?

EDIT2: After reading all of this, why not go with XFCE already? lol
      Because not everyone likes or wants XFCE. I mean, it misses features that I'd miss. IMO, Gnome's fallback session is probably the best desktop environment I have ever used.

Comment

So another clown squad decided to grow neckbeards and humiliate themselves. Did they contact upstream to ask for maintainership or how to proceed forward? No. They say upstream is dead that is not quite true. Increasingly inactive yes but the infrastructure is working and a lot of people keeps an eye on the code.

Forking is taking over complete responsibility which these havent shown at upstream. This is just a bunch of lame ass forksters having a few minutes of fame.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
          So another clown squad decided to grow neckbeards and humiliate themselves. Did they contact upstream to ask for maintainership or how to proceed forward? No. They say upstream is dead that is not quite true. Increasingly inactive yes but the infrastructure is working and a lot of people keeps an eye on the code.

Forking is taking over complete responsibility which these havent shown at upstream. This is just a bunch of lame ass forksters having a few minutes of fame.
          Funky, how many versions do you GNOMErs have? It's hard to keep count: GNOME Shell, Unity, Mate, Cinamon, Consort.

Wouldn't it make more sense to simply return the few options people want and need (2d desktop, classic shell...) to the official version instead of having this mess? People fork because users are being ignored, and the official version is already a minority compared to the forks.

Comment

I'm reading between the lines, that they'll port gnome-panel to GTK+3, or am I mistaken? That would justify a fork.

Edit:
            Removed comment about Mate
            Last edited by oleid; 17 January 2013, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
              I'm reading between the lines, that they'll port gnome-panel to GTK+3, or am I mistaken? That would justify a fork.
              If I understand correctly, they are a fork of GNOME3 which looks like GNOME2, but without needing OpenGL like Cinamon.

So:

GNOME Shell = new default
              Unity = diseased clusterfuck
              Mate = GNOME 2
              Cinamon = GNOME 3 with a GNOME 2 theme, requires OpenGL
              Consort = GNOME 3 with a GNOME 2 theme, does not require OpenGL

To me, it seems like allowing a fallback path without OpenGL, and maintaining a fallback shell which mimics GNOME 2 would have made all of these forks unnecessary. Except Unity.

I guess that some people in charge thought that the current situation would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                If I understand correctly, they are a fork of GNOME3 which looks like GNOME2, but without needing OpenGL like Cinamon.
                You're right! And I need more tea That makes even more sense^^

Comment

I see it as a natural reaction to GNOME specialization towards a certain group, the ones who share their "vision". The forks are just filling the vacuum left. Evolution at work. :P

Comment

Difference of MATE

What is the difference between Consort Desktop and MATE?

Comment

Working...
                    X