Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWin In KDE 4.11 Moves Along With Using XCB

Phoronix: KWin In KDE 4.11 Moves Along With Using XCB

KWin, KDE's window manager, in version 4.11 is moving along with being ported to using XCB rather than Xlib...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

DEAD

Who cares? It is dead anyway

Comment

Good work KDE

Using XCB is a great step forward and since XCB is closer in nature to how Wayland works, these changes will also make the port to Wayland easier to pull off. Great work!

Oh and P.S. --> Funkstar makes Quaridium look like an intelligent and rational poster. Larabel: If you want more people to turn off that hated Ad-block or pay for Phoronix, do a little housekeeping and get the goat to kick the troll off the bridge, mkay?

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
        Who cares? It is dead anyway
        Judging by the number of posts you write on every KDE and Qt topic that comes up, you care.

Comment

funkstar boots opensuse just so he can jack off to kde

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
            Using XCB is a great step forward and since XCB is closer in nature to how Wayland works, these changes will also make the port to Wayland easier to pull off. Great work!
            ?? Could you elaborate? I don't see how XCB is closer in nature to how Wayland works..
            I'm not saying that you're wrong but I'd like to understand what you mean.

Comment

Not many use window managers use Xcb

Cool, now KWin is one of few window managers who use XCB.
              Not many window managers use XCB, most still use old legacy Xlib.

Comment

Originally posted by renox View Post
                ?? Could you elaborate? I don't see how XCB is closer in nature to how Wayland works..
                I'm not saying that you're wrong but I'd like to understand what you mean.
                I'm not saying that the XCB API == Wayland API (far from it). However, both XCB and Wayland are highly asynchronous in nature, while the traditional Xlibs are synchronous (e.g. blocking waits, poor multi-threading, etc.). Getting large parts of Kwin and other KDE components written so that they work properly with an asynchronous model will make interfacing with Wayland easier to do.

Comment

Ah OK, thanks for your answer.

Comment

Color management? OMG finally
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X