Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiz To Unredirect Fullscreen Windows By Default

Phoronix: Compiz To Unredirect Fullscreen Windows By Default

The Compiz 0.9.8.6 update soon coming to Ubuntu 12.10 will enable "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" by default in an effort to boost the OpenGL gaming performance of the Linux distribution when using the Unity desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really excited about this. With the recent Compiz, Unity, Nux, GTK and driver fixes just released or forthcoming in December, Ubuntu 12.10 performs great. Ubuntu 13.04 will perform even better, and right out of the box.

Comment

How will this work in multi-monitor setups where I put one fullscreen OpenGL window on one screen, with some other windows on the other one - will the OpenGL window still be 'unredirected'?

Comment

Originally posted by Aphax View Post
        How will this work in multi-monitor setups where I put one fullscreen OpenGL window on one screen, with some other windows on the other one - will the OpenGL window still be 'unredirected'?
        From what i herad at UDS, I belive it actually will.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          18% performance improvement? Why did it took them so long to add this?
          While redirection will always have some performance overhead, it shouldn't have that much overhead. Unredirecting Fullscreen Windows is taking the lazy way out of solving a difficult problem. By no means having this option turned on should the issue be considered fixed.

Comment

Even with this option turned on my performance is rather mediocre.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              Even with this option turned on my performance is rather mediocre.
              You probably have vsync turned on. With unredirect option turned on the performance is on pair to kwin with suspended compositions.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                You probably have vsync turned on. With unredirect option turned on the performance is on pair to kwin with suspended compositions.
                Actually, I think I know what my problem is. I have a dual-monitor setup and in some games it's not turning off the second display, even if in fullscreen mode. That's probably causing the issue.

Comment

Finally. I always enabled it anyway, but it will help those using a more out of the box setup.

Is this really not considered a legit fix though? Even MS Windows disabled effects on fullscreen apps didn't it (I know this isn't entirely the same thing)? Or at least I remember when playing games on Win 7 as I launched games like TF2 I'd notice the effects would get disabled.

Comment

I get tearing on fullscreen video when unredirect fullscreen windows is on with ivybridge :/

Comment

Working...
                    X