Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.9.3 November Update Fixes 86 Bugs

Phoronix: KDE 4.9.3 November Update Fixes 86 Bugs

KDE 4.9.3 is the latest monthly point release for the Linux desktop environment that was recently tested by Linus Torvalds...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All the bugs are still there. They've been there for a long time now, so my hopes weren't particularly high. Huge lack of manpower, I guess. KDE is now too big to be maintained. The bugs keep accumulating.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      The bugs keep accumulating.
      Yeps, they are. bugs.kde.org has been exploding since kde 4 was out, and they never managed to reduce the flow. For each bug they "fix", hundreds are added, and thousand of already present reports are ignored.
      KDE used to be so good ;-((

Comment

Nobody is forcing you two trolls to use it. I experience only few bugs.

Comment

Like everything else "Works fine for me, YMMV".

Comment

Many of those hundreds of newly reported bugs have been fixed or are duplicates but worded differently. The problem KDE is having is distros like Debian keep using ancient releases when nearly every release of KDE is a cluster of bug fixes and nothing else. Also I've found KDE tends to break config files rather easily, which emulate a bug. you can reduce the amount of bugs if you delete your KDE settings, which is inconvenient considering e level of customization KDE has to offer. If you don't use the entire KDE suite I'm sure you can reduce bug encounters by using other programs.

I agree that KDE has more than they can really handle. There are whole sections they could cut out that a DE doesn't need such as koffice (while it does have its perks, its better to just make libraries to libreoffice to add integration), konqueror, nepomuk, kopete, and so on. I've found many KDE programs to be very sub-par, I'd rather just use DE-neutral programs with KDE plugins for integration. as I've said before, linux is getting too much competition within itself. software isn't getting the dedicated attention it used to because everyone wants to do their own thing.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              There are whole sections they could cut out that a DE doesn't need such as koffice (while it does have its perks, its better to just make libraries to libreoffice to add integration), konqueror, nepomuk, kopete, and so on. I've found many KDE programs to be very sub-par, I'd rather just use DE-neutral programs with KDE plugins for integration. as I've said before, linux is getting too much competition within itself. software isn't getting the dedicated attention it used to because everyone wants to do their own thing.
              The problem here is that the dev(s) working on for example koffice choose to do that for a reason. This means if they would stop developing koffice they don't just tart doing libreoffice, libreoffice integration or something else in the KDE suite, but most likely stop developing for KDE at all. So you not only lose koffice but also developers.

Comment

There are whole sections they could cut out that a DE doesn't need such as koffice (while it does have its perks, its better to just make libraries to libreoffice to add integration), konqueror, nepomuk, kopete, and so on.
                Except Nepomuk is neither of the mentioned applications even part of the DE (and Nepomuk is optional). KOffice is dead since quite some time ? it has been replaced by Calligra which in many cases is already better that the monolithic POS LibreOffice. Kopete is in the process of being replaced by a Telepathy-based solution which is shaping up rather nicely.
                Konqueror has always been just a shell for various KParts. The file browsing KPart is simply an embedded Dolphin and web browsing is KDEWebKit embedded (the same that rekonq also uses).

Comment

@droste
                  I'm sure you're right about that in many situations, although the people who all under this category probably also are the kinds of people who never finish anything they start and/or likely have priority issues.

@awesomeness
                  Last time i checked, nepomuk isn't optional. You can turn it off and disable everything related to it but you can't get rid of it, not even on arch. I know you used to be able to. I keep forgetting about calligra, and I remember having a convo before about how it is better than libreoffice. I'll have to try it out for myself again since i haven't tried it since the old koffice name but back then i found it to be very lacking and glitchy. but good or not, it doesn't change my point that having a DE specific program is not a good idea because it distracts from core features that really need attention and it likely won't be ideal for other DEs.
                  You can argue over what programs are good and why they were made but it doesn't change the fact that if the core KDE devs keep dividing their attention like that, nothing will turn out good enough. I have no problem about their motives or intentions, the problem is their priorities and timing.

Comment

Last time i checked, nepomuk isn't optional. You can turn it off and disable everything related to it but you can't get rid of it, not even on arch.
                    You can get rid of it. I don't have it installed on my system and KDE is built without it.

Comment

Working...
                    X