Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motif 2.3.4 On The LGPL License

Phoronix: Motif 2.3.4 On The LGPL License

Integrated Computer Solutions released Motif 2.3.4 this week and with the point release comes the availability of the X toolkit under the LGPL v2.1 license...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally. Maybe this means that well-looking desktop environments will have their renaissance.

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
      Finally. Maybe this means that well-looking desktop environments will have their renaissance.
      What? Motif is hideous. Qt (and GTK) are better in every way, the only thing this benefits is legacy apps.

Comment

Qt is ugly. I am not blind enough for these designs. Maybe when I'm over 60 and need large, colorful buttons, I'll come back to it.

Comment

CDE

This is good if you for some reason want to run CDE (Common Desktop Environment) which was popular in the mid-90s.

It was used by Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, IRIX, etc.

Comment

Don't forget OpenCDE.

I actually like it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              This is good if you for some reason want to run CDE (Common Desktop Environment) which was popular in the mid-90s.

It was used by Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, IRIX, etc.
              I've used that. It was hideous. Nobody serious wants to use motif. At the very least they are more than ten years to late to open source it.

Comment

Gnome 3 should switch to Motif now. It would be an improvement.

Comment

Cool, but late.

Cool but some ~10 years late or so. So everyone has gone GTK and Qt and you will have hard time finding any program using this toolkit or persuading someone to use this toolkit in their programs.

Though on secon thought I think MS should rewrite win8 using this toolkit. They're so similar in their awkward ancient and primitive appearance
                  Last edited by 0xBADCODE; 26 October 2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Not as hard as you'd think...

Emacs, Nedit, Vim, the Data Display Debugger, XMPI, snd, IBM OpenDX, Viewmol, xmakemol, Xephem, Xpdf, plan, Open Inventor, GRASS GIS, Grid Engine, the Elk Scheme interpreter (and CMU Common Lisp, as well), and Clustal all have Motif UIs. You may not need many of them on a daily basis, but I wouldn't say that's "a hard time finding any program..."

Cthulhux: try changing the Qt theme, and look at the alternatives: One of them is "CDE"

I've heard of a few things that CDE/Motif did that are similar to the latest "standards"/styles.

Also, for anyone who dislikes the default Motif look, there are a lot of changes you can make (via X resources); my own favorites include
                    Code:
                    *enableThinThickness: true
                    XTerm*background: black
                    XTerm*foreground: white
                    *XmCascadeButton*shadowThickness:       1
                    *XmDrawnButton*shadowThickness: 1
                    *XmPushButton*shadowThickness:  1
                    *XmPushButtonGadget*shadowThickness:    1
                    *DtMenuButton*shadowThickness:   1
                    *XmText*shadowThickness:        1
                    *XmTextField*shadowThickness:   1
                    *enableButtonTab:       True
                    *enableDefaultButton:   True
                    *enableEtchedInMenu:    True
                    *enableMenuInCascade:   True
                    *enableMultiKeyBindings:        True
                    *enableToggleColor:     True
                    *enableToggleVisual:    True
                    *highlightThickness:    1
                    So for me, it probably looks nothing like it looks for you. And there are a whole lot more changes that can be made, too.

Comment

Working...
                    X