Digia Buys Out Qt From Nokia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
    These companies have been around for years and I can tell you KDAB has been expanding recently and ICS has been around since before Qt. First they did a lot of work with the Motif toolkit, but not so much anymore. It is mainly Qt now. Motif is only ever used in big Unix systems like AIX and HP-UX. Motif is an old tollkit that has not been updated in many many years. Only updates are via community open motif, which I think is reverse engineered.
    ICS has been doing Qt business for years and they are sustainable.

Do you really think companies list every penny ever moved through them and release it to the public? Thats like if store says they have sold $5000 dollars worth of bread and you call them a liar and ask for every receipt!
    For the most part, very good.
    However:
    OpenMotif is the semi-open-source (~EPL+"Open source kernel only") distribution of the official Motif; last update was 2010. ICS is the official maintainer for OpenMotif.
    Lesstif is the reverse-engineered version.

Comment

@Ibidem

You know that they're large. (Unless you just crawled out from a basement you'd been living in for the past 30 years, but I assume that's not the case).
      Qt isn't essential to their core business, but see http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/tags/qt and remember that Meego and Tizen are both Qt-based...
      I think intel cares more about Qt due to their subsidary, Wind River, which has Vxworks and an Wind River Embedded Linux, both Vxworks and linux are supported by Qt. That looks more important then App up.
      Also Tizen uses HTML5 and EFL. Only meego and moblin used Qt.

As for my errors about motif, I think I may have been confused on the recent open sourcing of CDE. CDE uses motif and motif is about to be open sourced as well but they need to work out some legal things. CDE sources on the other hand. compile and work fine with open motif so they have released that. Article in question: http://www.osnews.com/story/26247/CD...as_open_source

Comment

Your english is bad. You have mistaken the word "consumer" for "customer". "Consumer" in this sense refers to the average person on the street. Average person are nt knowledge able about computers and only pay for "Consumer" software. Software like MS office, video games, Antivirus, Video/photo software, ect. Qt is not for these people. Qt sells licenses for software engineer and companies. Most of Qt software are technical applications. An example of one of the few technical applications that an average user like you can use is Wolfram Mathematica. This is a very powerful application done using Qt, and is targeted at engineers and scientists, like many Qt applications. Mathematica costs $295 for the Home Edition. I think that is the cheapest one. Here is a link to the page: http://www.wolfram.com/mathematica/
        Home Edition: http://www.wolfram.com/mathematica/h.../hobbyist.html
        Well well you are just naive because its not my english because I know the difference between a "customer" and a "consumer" it was just intentional to equate both. And your reaction is even more funny because you claim there is a difference and then you try to prove the absence of Wolfram Mathematica in the consumer market with a "Home Edition" LOL I explain it just for you to make sure you get the joke inside of your message: A Home Edition is the edition for the consumer instead of the professional or enterprise edition which are designed for professional "customers".
        Be sure I did not make a mistake I just show the joke in your babbling.

There is no market-force to use Qt stuff and in serious business there is no freedom to choose at all there is only "force". And this show us your next point in a way it really is :

Qt does not make money from paid software. The software using it can be free of charge or cost thousands and Qt makes the same money. Qt makes money from, support, consulting, pre made widgets, and most important: commercial license. Qt is normally free under LGPL, but if you want to do something the LGPL will not let you, you need to pay several thousands of dollars for a license, and as far as I know this is per developer. Thousands per developer. And people pay for this. Lots of people pay.
        If you are use Open-Source and you are fine with Open-Source then there is no need to pay any dollar but if you want to abuse open-source in the closed source way then you need to pay and they only pay because they try to use closed-source to force there customers and consumers into a dependency.
        And this prove there is no freedom to choose at all there is only "force".

God your an Idiot.
        [...]
        You are dumb.
        [...]
        How dumb are you?
        [...]
        you are stupid
        ~Best of Phoronix~
        Other people get a ban for insults like this but you get the nerd bonus they don't ban you because they laugh at you.

Do you even know what a "nerd" is? You are calling other people nerds when you are doing something "nerdy" and on a "nerd" website.
        Question: Who is a bigger nerd the one who try to be a serious nerd doing serious nerdy stuff on a website he claims is a serious nerd platform or the one who just make fun to have fun ?

They are not too big to fail. They are too succesful to fail!
        Yes yes world domination I can feel the market force (NOT)

Also VLC has been downloaded 1billion times, and KDE is used by a few million people. KDE is 2nd largest open source project in the world! I am showing you relevance with KDE and VLC.
        Useless nerd argumentation because: downloads,userbase and the size of the code do not have any relevance because only turnover and profit matters.

HP will not die, they will get weak. They are only going down in their PC business. They have a lot of other business and products besides PCs. Such as their servers and HP-UX. It is these products that use Qt!
        RIM can still survive if they do it right. They will have small market but they are still selling millions. They will shrink and continue, but they will still be around. They also have QNX operating system as well which is widely deployed in over 200 cars as well as other embedded systems. QNX can run Qt too.
        Sony failing? Really? I hear the company is doing fine in terms of profits and money. Their customer service and products are bad, but not finances.
        First they get weak and then they die because there are only 2 valid statuses in a capitalism market "grow or die" get weak is just another word for pass away/out of business.
        And I hope you are a share holder of RIM because the rule "grow or die" makes sure you lose a lot of money on your share value.
        Also HP-UX do not have any relevance anymore because of "Linux" in the server market.
        And Sony compared to the Xbox the PS3 was a big failure and mistakes like this turn them into a loser company.

Comment

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
          And so one and so one nerd-life is pissed if someone shows him the reality and the reality shows clear that Qt do not have any relevance on any market-share in the business.
          The mainstream is were the big money goes and Qt do not have any place in the mainstream. Just compare the market-share of Ubuntu (unity) to Kubuntu (Qt) o well nerd paradise do not like to compare the relevancy with real numbers they prefer to calculate with dream numbers instead.

Well how do you measure the "most-popular" ? DistroWatch.com? LOL only nerds use that website real man calculate in euro or dollar turnover and profit. And no Linux desktop distro with QT technique make any turnover or profit. And your popular software "VLC" worth nothing because the people don't spend any money on it and again the lie is revealed just by the turnover and profit numbers. Thy to fool another one not me. Show me any Qt relevance turnover and profit numbers.

Out of business is the second name of Qt. Inside of the business they do not have any place.
          I said "one of the" most popular, not "THE" most popular. Work on you're reading comprehension, you imbecile. Its common knowledge that KDE and Gnome are the two most popular DE's. I'm not trying to get into which one is the "most" popular, nor do I want to.

Comment

So...necro-lover, what can someone with the extensive financial expertise that you currently hold, tell me where I can best invest my hard-earned dollars?

Comment

Nope, I didn't get mad (although some did seem to get just a little upset, to be honest...) :P I was just trying to guide you to the right direction in case you were not trolling.

LOL only nerds use that website real man calculate in euro or dollar turnover and profit.
              You made me smile.

Comment

And so one and so one nerd-life is pissed if someone shows him the reality and the reality shows clear that Qt do not have any relevance on any market-share in the business.
                The mainstream is were the big money goes and Qt do not have any place in the mainstream. Just compare the market-share of Ubuntu (unity) to Kubuntu (Qt) o well nerd paradise do not like to compare the relevancy with real numbers they prefer to calculate with dream numbers instead.
                Don't forget that Kubuntu is the base for the world's largest linux employment. See here. It's also a red herring to judge framework by virtue of distro -- and if we go that route, Qt definitely wins over Unity by several orders of magnitude.

By your reasoning on relevance only Apple, Microsoft, IBM, Wal-Mart and oil companies really warrant existence. Pardon the strawman, but extending it into other areas only the countries with the most money floating around are worthy of consideration, and all the others can just happily dream of electric sheep while they flounder into pestilence, war, famine and death. Or is it the countries with the highest Human Development Index, or the ones with the most people? The biggest guns? It's a bit narrow-minded, not to mention insulting flamebait.

I don't know to which extent you're just trolling; you're either very successful at it, or you let fallacy rule reason.

Comment

Well well you are just naive because its not my english because I know the difference between a "customer" and a "consumer" it was just intentional to equate both. And your reaction is even more funny because you claim there is a difference and then you try to prove the absence of Wolfram Mathematica in the consumer market with a "Home Edition" LOL I explain it just for you to make sure you get the joke inside of your message: A Home Edition is the edition for the consumer instead of the professional or enterprise edition which are designed for professional "customers".
                  Be sure I did not make a mistake I just show the joke in your babbling.

There is no market-force to use Qt stuff and in serious business there is no freedom to choose at all there is only "force". And this show us your next point in a way it really is :
                  You have not made a single statement that has any real sense.
                  You equated consumer with customer. Are you so thick skulled not to realize consumers are not customers of Qt? Consumers do not spend thousands of dollars on a Qt license.
                  Yes Mathematica is absent in the consumer market. Look:
                  Almost any workflow involves computing results, and that's what Mathematica does—from building a hedge fund trading website or publishing interactive engineering textbooks to developing embedded image recognition algorithms or teaching calculus
                  A consumer doesn't know anything about engineering.
                  Do you know why it is called home edition? See for yourself on the "How to Buy" page. There are 3 big options. Industry, Government, and Education on the purchase page. To get the home edition you have to read some tiny text at the bottom that says "Hobbyist licensing". A hobbyist. Not an average consumer. Somebody interested in engineering and calculus, but that person is not an engineer by profession. This is not for an average consumer.
                  The average consumer in many cases doesn't even have University degree, let alone interested in Calculus and engineering in their free time.

http://www.wolfram.com/mathematica/how-to-buy/?a=1 See that page? At first glance you wouldn't even know there was a home edition until you click the small link under hobbyist licensing. Why so small link? Wolfram gets 90% of their business from Government, Education, and Industry. They are not in the consumer market. They are a _technical_ application. Like most Qt applications. Another example of a technical application: http://www.realflow.com/
                  Wolfram is one of the few of these technical applications available for general purchase. Most are never sold and only ever used in-house as custom software.
                  No freedom to choose? Only force? I don't understand what you are trying to say, it doesn't make sense!

If you are use Open-Source and you are fine with Open-Source then there is no need to pay any dollar but if you want to abuse open-source in the closed source way then you need to pay and they only pay because they try to use closed-source to force there customers and consumers into a dependency.
                  And this prove there is no freedom to choose at all there is only "force".
                  LOL!
                  You can make closed source software with the LGPL open source version. No need to pay!
                  Only thing you can't do if you make closed source software with Qt LGPL:
                  -Statically Link
                  -If you change source code of Qt libraries themselves you must release those changes

Most companies using Qt are totally fine with those restricitons. They do not pay to close the source, they pay so they can get consulting, training and support. They also pay for some widgets for technical applications! Like Qt charts. Which is designed for technical business applications.
                  If you think this abusive, you are the only one. Richard Stallman himself likes this business model! Red Hat uses this model, Suse uses this model, so many companies do this! It is 20 years old? What is abusive? You are not forced to pay, there is nothing signicant you can't do if you are writing closed soruce software with Qt.

How are you trying to close source their customers into a dependency? They are not selling you software!
                  No freedom to choose? Developers are never forced to used Qt. Ever. Why do they use it? It is an amazing C++ framework.
                  You can fork Qt, this is not microsoft, there is no vendor lock in.
                  Also Microsoft is abusive and forces their customers. So is Apple. That is a bad thing these companies do. Are the irrelavant? No, they are some of the largest and most powerful corporations on the planet. You still have not explained why Qt is irrelevant. You only make pure false statements that Qt forces you in to lock you down. No evidence. You say they force you because they charge you money. You must be a communist and against the existence of money or companies if you think this model is oppresive.

~Best of Phoronix~
                  Other people get a ban for insults like this but you get the nerd bonus they don't ban you because they laugh at you.
                  I don't see anyone disputing my claims, but several people disputing yours. Who is laughing at who?
                  Also you must be new to phoronix. People say things like "Fuck off" all the time. There are some posts that consist of only those words.

Question: Who is a bigger nerd the one who try to be a serious nerd doing serious nerdy stuff on a website he claims is a serious nerd platform or the one who just make fun to have fun ?
                  [QUOTE]Yes yes world domination I can feel the market force (NOT)
                  [/QUOTE
                  If some of the biggest companies in the planet pay you and you are both profitable and have been doign this for 20years, if this is not market demand, then every company in the world bus have no market.

Useless nerd argumentation because: downloads,userbase and the size of the code do not have any relevance because only turnover and profit matters.
                  Does Apple make one penny from Xcode? From Cocoa? Does MS make money from their free version of visual studio? Do they make money when they pay people to document APIS like win32? NO. They get developer to strengthen their platform. If there are a lot of developers that use Qt. Having lots of developers shows relevance.
                  Qt is profitable anyways, so if all you are concerned about is money, you have no worries.
                  If downloads, userbase and size of code do not matter. Linux is irrelevant. It is the most useless software in the world. Nobody cares if it goes away forever.
                  The Linux Foundation is a not for profit company and makes no turnover or profit. Linux is developed by people working freely without pay. As for companies like Redhat, Suse, IBM, who develop linux with paid developers. They do not have to do this, they only do this because Linux is an important platform and they develop linux so it stays around. They could continue their business without submitting code upstream. Look at companies like intel who use Qt heavily, they hire many Qt devs to continue to work on it. Why? They want to keep it around.

First they get weak and then they die because there are only 2 valid statuses in a capitalism market "grow or die" get weak is just another word for pass away/out of business.
                  And I hope you are a share holder of RIM because the rule "grow or die" makes sure you lose a lot of money on your share value.
                  Also HP-UX do not have any relevance anymore because of "Linux" in the server market.
                  And Sony compared to the Xbox the PS3 was a big failure and mistakes like this turn them into a loser company.
                  Lol?
                  Sony PS3 has sold 64 million units as of march 2012. The Xbox 360 has sold 67million units of the same time span. The xbox is also cheaper then the PS3.
                  If you say only turnover and profit matters, sony is the winner here. But no, you simply do not like the PS3 product. That is why you call it a failure. It is just your opinion. No facts.
                  I give numbers and you give opinions.

HP is failing because of HP-UX?
                  They make the following in terms of hardware alone:
                  Home PCs (their weak part)
                  Server Hardware
                  Thin Clients
                  PCs for businesses
                  Cameras
                  Scanners
                  Printers
                  Fax
                  Monitors
                  Calculators
                  Point of Sale
                  They have a lot of things. They are not on life support. They still made a net profit of $7billion in 2011.
                  Yeah grow or die. I only made $7billion dollars this year when I made $9billion the year before. I am on my death bed!
                  Hp and Sony are not dieing companies.
                  RIM is the only one in _real_ danger. They however can survive as a smalle company. It is not as simple as get bigger or die. If I maintain constant profits year over year, for decades, am I dieing?
                  Also:

I did not read the whole link, but it seems not everyone agrees with you opnion grow or die is a rule.

As for RIM dieing.

Apple in the 90s was far worse off. They now are one of the biggest companies in the world.

RIM in all likelihood will not die, there is still a chance though, and If they do go bankrupt it won't be a huge shock. But they still have thier loyal business market for Blackberry, even if they loose the consumer because consumers want shiny iphones.
                  If I had to guess what are the chances of RIM still being around in 10 years, I would put it at 70%.
                  I won't invest in RIM because it is risky. This is the only company were your statement has some truth.

If you want a truly dieing company look at Nokia. They have year over year Losses of 1billion+ and are shrinking. They sold of Qt because they purchased it for Symbian. Now that they have thrown out symbian and meego, and now use Windows Phone, they have no use for Qt. And they need money, fast.
                  The common belief is when Nokia gets weak enough, MS will swoop in and buy this dead company.
                  For the patents of course.

Anyways, regardless of your basless opinion, which have shown no Numbers or fact, only guessing, Qt has a good future and is an amazing framework. I will continue to develop software using Qt. I am still in school so I don't get paid for any development I do, but I don't think you have developed software ever. How else could you make such false statements other then by being misinformed?
                  Last edited by n3wu53r; 11 August 2012, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I'm wondering who the bigger retard is: Totally obvious troll necro-lover or the people actually responding to him?

Comment

Just compare the market-share of Ubuntu (unity) to Kubuntu (Qt) o well nerd paradise do not like to compare the relevancy with real numbers they prefer to calculate with dream numbers instead.
                      Ubuntu uses Qt in Unity2D, so i don't think your point makes any sense at all there. Further, Ubuntu has been a money pit that's been bleeding millions for YEARS, and you seem to think that profit means something. In that case, Ubuntu should be considered a negative. Maybe they'd actually show a profit if they tried using Qt more.

Comment

Working...
                      X