GNOME & Mono Made Love At Microsoft Last Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Yeah, his *huge* influence on projects adopting Open Source development models makes him a fruitloop and means nothing. Sure.
    Whilst you dismiss a quote which calls you out personally from the guy behind the single most important Open Source project on the planet.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone actually involved in Free Software who wouldn't call ESR a fruitloop.

Comment

• Originally posted by directhex View Post
      Whilst you dismiss a quote which calls you out personally from the guy behind the single most important Open Source project on the planet.
      I didn't feel like being "called out" in the quote, since I'm not a Free Software fanatic. I have defended stuff like Flash and binary driver blobs time and time again.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone actually involved in Free Software who wouldn't call ESR a fruitloop.
      That doesn't negate his contributions. "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" really had a big impact.

It just means he's a bit crazy. I don't mind that.

Comment

It just means he's a bit crazy. I don't mind that.
        You just mind people contributing to things you personally don't like. Where "things" is "Free Software". Where "things" is "helping to get more games on Linux". Where "things" is "helping to get more people (like Bulldog) off Microsoft and onto Linux".

You crusaders do more to support Microsoft's monopoly than anyone working on Mono does.

Comment

• "If you can't beat them, join them" huh? I don't believe that joining MS will work out (see "embrace and extinguish.") Also, if you wanted to bring more games to Linux, you would be contributing to SDL, not .NET.

Comment

"If you can't beat them, join them" huh? I don't believe that joining MS will work out (see "embrace and extinguish.") Also, if you wanted to bring more games to Linux, you would be contributing to SDL, not .NET.
            SDL is already fine at what it does.

What it does not do is attract developers working with frameworks like XNA. Not on its own, anyway.

There are three games which have formed part of Humble Indie Bundles which are only available outside Windows because of Mono. Are you saying you'd rather those games weren't available on Linux?

Comment

SDL is already fine at what it does.

What it does not do is attract developers working with frameworks like XNA. Not on its own, anyway.

There are three games which have formed part of Humble Indie Bundles which are only available outside Windows because of Mono. Are you saying you'd rather those games weren't available on Linux?
              I'm saying that a few bouncing balls on my screen aren't worth getting in bed with MS.

Comment

I'm saying that a few bouncing balls on my screen aren't worth getting in bed with MS.
                How does one "get in bed" with a corporation with 90,000 employees, exactly?

And how does one do it by "running Free Software not written by anyone at that corporation"?

Comment

• Ah, now I see what you're doing. Tricked me there for a moment.

Yeah, you guys aren't exactly Wine, you know. You aren't trying to provide a tool to run .NET software on Linux. If that was the case, that would be fine and worthy of support. No. You're trying to adopt .NET for Linux applications. That's what's wrong with you people.

Comment

How does one "get in bed" with a corporation with 90,000 employees, exactly?
                    I'm sure Google will help you in finding out what the phrase "getting in bed" means and that's it's not always used with its literal meaning.

And how does one do it by "running Free Software not written by anyone at that corporation"?
                    Like you.

Comment

Like you.
                      I'm helping hundreds of thousands of people to play games on Linux, via HIB.

I'm helping folk like Bulldog migrate away from Microsoft software, bit by bit.

How about you? What's your contribution that makes you the saviour of Freedom, and me "in bed with Microsoft"?

Comment

Working...
                      X