Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment's EFL Gets Its Own Physics Library

Phoronix: Enlightenment's EFL Gets Its Own Physics Library

The Enlightenment Foundation Libraries (EFL) that power the Enlightenment window manager now has a physics component...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by asdx
    Cool. Does it work with Wayland?

Comment

The EFL already had a physics component called ephys or something, but I guess this is deprecated now

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        What is the point of having bullet physics in a window manager?? Eating more cpu cycles??
        It's part of the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries not the Enlightenment widow manager.

Comment

What is the point of having bullet physics in a window manager?? Eating more cpu cycles??
          Angry birds DIRECTLY in your DE !!!

You can grab a window and knock around other windows with it and they will react in a physically correct manner and even the window contents will react accordingly (hey! that actually sounds fun, gimme!)

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
            You can grab a window and knock around other windows with it and they will react in a physically correct manner and even the window contents will react accordingly (hey! that actually sounds fun, gimme!)
            I thought the same thing - this would be an excellent addition to compiz. While it may be a little gimmicky, if implemented properly it could actually add functionality to the UI.

Comment

Because why should we fix the bugs that already exist when we can add some cool features like a doom 4 engine right into your desktop! Because why the fuck would you want to open a folder in the open dialog when you can play a Left 4 Dead campaign and if you win then you get the menu!
              What the fuck are talking about? EFL is meant for building different kinds of applications including games. This has nothing to do with your desktop even if it's based on EFL.

Comment

Because why should we fix the bugs that already exist when we can add some cool features like a doom 4 engine right into your desktop! Because why the fuck would you want to open a folder in the open dialog when you can play a Left 4 Dead campaign and if you win then you get the menu!

Yeah good idea! Everything should be fun! Including pressing the shutdown button! Add some cool physics mini game there! Those idiots there have just fade in and out effects with water and other shit! We can be cooler! Lets add a first person shooter right after login!

Sometimes i fell that these idiots running these projects just try to show of their shitty programming skills so instead fixing stupid bugs and listening to their users they add pile upon pile of useless halfworking shit that nobody needs, but hell! It looks cool!

I feel like sometimes programmers actually need managers no matter how bad they hate them. It's just better for them to be told what to do then to be left at their own devices. At least then we might get something that works and maybe some coherency.
                ....you're either trolling, or have no idea what the purpose of EFL is. Given the tone of your words, my guess is trolling, but just in case it's not: EFL offers a wide range of support libraries for anything you can use on your desktop basically. That means gui widgets, media players, system control interfaces, the whole works. This includes desktop games, transition effects, splash screens, etc, all of which can use physics for various effects. Now considering who the "users" are here (the people paying money for these features) - this is what they want. They want fancy effects, and eye-catching gimmick goodies. And the EFL people generally like to have a nice, clean interface that's well coded - there's a reason Tizen is using EFL instead of gtk based windowing systems.

Comment

I am wondering why they picked a full 3d physics engine. They could have used Box2D for the job, much more compact and much cleaner/nicer code base.

Comment

log0: And what if I wanted to write a native 3D application with box physics? Nevermind that the difference between 2D physics and 3D is one addition vector coordinate and some extra rules, making the difference moot.

Comment

Working...
                    X