Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChrisXY
    replied
    I don't play many games in wine but the few I do play have sound working well: Steam and Portal 2 with steam, Warcraft3, skyrim and when I tested Path of Exile it was ok too.
    In fact I had not a single problem with wine and pulseaudio not working together in the last few years.

Leave a comment:

• AlbertP
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    This. If Wine had support for PulseAudio, then I could finally listen to music outside of Wine that doesn't have popping sounds or horrible quality, since otherwise if I set my PA settings to give me that, Wine starts shrieking like a banshee...
    I have ran MS Train Simulator on Wine - the sound worked perfectly with PA. Don't know why other programs would cause problems - maybe because their sound is not in WAV format?

Leave a comment:

• gilboa
    replied
    Originally posted by oliver View Post
    I think winepluse only exists in git of a developer atm, unless it has been merged with 1.5.6, it's only winealsa for now.

As for winealsa, currently for me does not work in combination with pulseaudio. I can kill pulseaudio, run wine just fine with sound, or have pulseaudio running and silent wine.
    Indeed. It does require manual compile, but in my experience, its well worth the effort.

- Gilboa

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by gilboa View Post
    Have you tried winepulse?

- Gilboa
    No, but I don't want to recompile the thing manually, as it could have problems whenever the issue is fixed and I decide to go back to RPM packages.

On the other hand, I just updated my PulseAudio from 1.1 to 2.0 and so far I don't hear any popping sounds during music playback. So maybe that part of the puzzle is fixed. Meanwhile Wine didn't break, still works good as before.

Leave a comment:

• oliver
    replied
    I think winepluse only exists in git of a developer atm, unless it has been merged with 1.5.6, it's only winealsa for now.

As for winealsa, currently for me does not work in combination with pulseaudio. I can kill pulseaudio, run wine just fine with sound, or have pulseaudio running and silent wine.

Leave a comment:

• gilboa
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Not really. For some odd reason, when I set PulseAudio to use the traditional scheduling with interrupts instead of timers, Wine sound gets completely corrupt and distorted. But then my audio files are played correctly outside of Wine. And if I set it to use timers, Wine works fine but my audio is popping all the time - unless I set PulseAudio to use the trivial resampling method, in which case audio everywhere seems like it's running on a 16K bitrate... So in essence it's a "pick your poison" situation, until Wine incorporates a PA backend.
    Have you tried winepulse?

- Gilboa

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by Thunderbird View Post
    Someone wrote a pulseaudio backend for the new audio subsystem, but it hasn't been added yet. There are some concerns including maintenance. Anyway the new audio subsystem should handle pulseaudio much better than the previous one, so there may not be a big need.
    Not really. For some odd reason, when I set PulseAudio to use the traditional scheduling with interrupts instead of timers, Wine sound gets completely corrupt and distorted. But then my audio files are played correctly outside of Wine. And if I set it to use timers, Wine works fine but my audio is popping all the time - unless I set PulseAudio to use the trivial resampling method, in which case audio everywhere seems like it's running on a 16K bitrate... So in essence it's a "pick your poison" situation, until Wine incorporates a PA backend.

Leave a comment:

• Thunderbird
    replied
    Originally posted by benjamin545 View Post
    is there a plan for a simple pulseaudio backend then, ( i know about the pulse driver from pre wine 1.4, it was determined that it wouldnt be incorperated into wine since they were planning on rewriting the audio stack. dont know much more about it after that.)
    Someone wrote a pulseaudio backend for the new audio subsystem, but it hasn't been added yet. There are some concerns including maintenance. Anyway the new audio subsystem should handle pulseaudio much better than the previous one, so there may not be a big need.

Leave a comment:

• benjamin545
    replied
    is there a plan for a simple pulseaudio backend then, ( i know about the pulse driver from pre wine 1.4, it was determined that it wouldnt be incorperated into wine since they were planning on rewriting the audio stack. dont know much more about it after that.)

Leave a comment:

• Thunderbird
    replied
    Originally posted by benjamin545 View Post
    did they change their plans on basing the audio structure on openAL? i think at one time they were planning on rewriting the audio stack to use linux's openal to output everything and let openal handle all the system audioo hooks.
    The Wine audio stack has been rewritten in Wine 1.4. Internally it works similar to the Vista/Win7 audio service which is a bit like Pulseaudio. Wine has small drivers for relevant audio systems like Alsa, OSS and coreaudio. OpenAL wasn't a good fit for Wine and it wouldn't have been great for latency.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X