No announcement yet.

GNOME Is Still A Ways Off From 10% Goal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I honestly can't see any of current Linux desktops ever reaching 10% market share. They had their chances when KDE3 was stable, when GNOME2 was stable. Those had all the bases covered, GNOME2 in particular was that retarded "open file" dialogue aside the best, stablest, simplest and most functional desktop around. Now with GNOME3 (aka tablet for desktops) and KDE4 (aka clusterfuck insanity full power) it has all gone downhill big time. Keyword is stability. Both GNOME3 devs and KDE4 devs apparently think that change for sake of change is a good idea. Especially the latter. None of KDE4 promises have materialised.

After so many years as Linux user/contributor I've grown tired of this. I stopped contributing, now I'm considering to go FreeBSD for ports and stability. The 10% free desktop market share will come when some group actually has a clear vision, code quality and consistence. Thus, I assume Haiku OS will take the crown in 2-3 years in a totally unexpected surge in usage because Windows 8 is tablet oriented, GNOME3 is tablet oriented, KDE4 doesn't know what it is and OS X has started to resemble iOS. Others? No chance. Unless a wild BSD variant appears with in-house desktop enviroment that they also plan to support for years with consistent UI (Microsoft & Apple recipe to success).

Hell, I'd go as far as pronounce the bazaar model dead and cathedral won after all.

Comment

Originally posted by korpenkraxar View Post
      Yes, Gnome 3 is far from perfect but many things are nice and interesting. The performance of the Clutter/Mutter/Metacity/Gnome Shell UI blows Kwin/Plasma out of the water. KDE often feels unbelievably sluggish in comparison. The Javascript extensions in Gnome 3 are awesome and remind me of the good old dockapps more than the plasmoids ever did. Bluetooth, Wifi management and Volume controls are much more convenient than any implementation I have seen in KDE. KDE sure has other strenghts, such as KIO slaves, a much better file dialog and Dolphin is far better than Nautilus in all respects that I can think of.
      In my 13 years of using Linux on the desktop I never found Gnome to be as fast or Stable as KDE, from my 166mhz Pentium1 with 32mb ram to my current 6 core Phenom2 with 8gb ram. I always liked Gnome over KDE as a Desktop and look and feel until the around KDE 3.4 and Gnome dumbing down everything. But for me KDE was always the faster and more stable DE compared to Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by daedaluz View Post
        After so many years as Linux user/contributor I've grown tired of this. I stopped contributing, now I'm considering to go FreeBSD for ports and stability.
        I see nothing wrong with going FreeBSD, but doing so because of GNOME/KDE??? Linux has nothing to do with Gnome or KDE other than that these environments run on Linux (AND on the BSD's). It's not as if FreeBSD has a native desktop environment. Your logic escapes me. Also, from what I gather XFCE seems very stable in the way it operates, maybe you should give it a try.

Thus, I assume Haiku OS will take the crown in 2-3 years in a totally unexpected surge in usage because Windows 8 is tablet oriented, GNOME3 is tablet oriented, KDE4 doesn't know what it is and OS X has started to resemble iOS.
        As a huge Haiku fan I would love this but reality is a different thing, Haiku has an awful hard time attracting developers both for the OS and even more so for applications. I was hoping that we'd see more developers start flocking around Haiku after the R1 alpha or through the 'Google Summer of Code' participations. Sadly it seems more and more long time developers are finding less time to work on Haiku while hardly no new developers join the ranks. One positive thing though is the successful drive to hire a full-time programmer on a longer basis as done with mmlr, if this can be done continously and perhaps even on a broader level (as in more than one programmer working full-time) then it will help Haiku immensily. Unfortunatley that doesn't help the near non-existant interest in developing applications for Haiku, pretty much all we have now are ports and even those are few and generally old versions.

Hell, I'd go as far as pronounce the bazaar model dead and cathedral won after all.
        Lolwut? Based upon desktop penetration? An area where A) Microsoft holds a massive monopoly fueled by Windows being pre-installed since forever. B) There's no money to be made due to 'A' and also that selling support in this area is very difficult. Even Apple seems to have given up the desktop and is now focusing on it's devices.

Comment

After so many years as Linux user/contributor I've grown tired of this.
          If you were concerned about 'stability' then why are you bothering to compare FreeBSD with anything other then Redhat (and clones)? Those are the closest functional equivalents.
          I don't know what exactly is the deal with people on these forums.. but this stuff should be very obvious: If you are upset by things changing all the time then don't change things all the time.
          I know where I work we just finished migrating the last of the AS4 systems and we do not have any AS6 systems deployed yet.

The only people self-delusional enough to promote very new versions of software as 'stable' and 'production ready' are Canonical. I also think that most people here bitching, especially the KDE fanboys, couldn't tell the difference between Gnome 3 and Unity.. but that is a different subject.

If you decided to ignore the hype and follow good senses then you would be on CentOS right now and you will continue to receive security updates for Gnome 2.x desktop well into 2017. Long after FreeBSD would of switched away from Gnome 2.x completely..

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
            I see nothing wrong with going FreeBSD, but doing so because of GNOME/KDE???

As a huge Haiku fan I would love this but reality is a different thing, Haiku has an awful hard time attracting developers both for the OS and even more so for applications.

Lolwut? Based upon desktop penetration?
            I've grown irritated with the way whole GNU bullshit operates. Everything is done in hackish solutions.

Not many people know that project exists, neither do many people that NetBSD beats FreeBSD in performance in some instances and FreeBSD beats Linux in many. Number of developers doesn't collerate with quality.

It's a good example what happens when focus doesn't exist and improvements are hacks.

Comment

Working...
            X