Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Linux Kernel Patches To Mimic Windows

Phoronix: More Linux Kernel Patches To Mimic Windows

A day after Red Hat's Matthew Garrett published a Linux kernel patch to solve the ASPM power regression by more closely mimicking the Active State Power Management behavior of Microsoft Windows, he's published more Linux patches to mimic the Windows power management...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I imagine it took time to figure out that copying what windows does was the right course of action

I also imagine it took longer to figure out about the information in the INF files - if it had been so easy I'm sure you'd have written about it before now

Comment

Heaven forbid these hardware manufs. actually step up to the plate and get their hardware working properly on anything other than Windows...
      At the very least, it gave us a pretty good idea of which hardware manufs. have been naughty or nice...

A lot of users are so far downstream, they're not aware of things the hardware manufs. do compared to the things people in the open source community have to do because the hardware manufs. won't do it themselves..

It's important to not give those naughty companies any more money by buying their products, since they're just taking your money and spending it to make their products run better on just Windows..

This is 2011, not the early 1990s.. There's no real reason the manufs. can't support Linux and Windows.. The only reason they don't support Linux is because every penny saved is a penny earned in their eyes..
      Last edited by Sidicas; 11 November 2011, 02:00 PM.

Comment

There's indeed hardware out there that does not fully comply with the PCIe specs of which ASPM is a part, so blacklisting them is a start. Likewise hardware that does play nice with ASPM but doesn't advertise supporting it should be able to work with ASPM

Shame HW makers toe the Microsoft line when designing their devices. Why can't they make hardware that will work with ALL OS's not just Windows?

Better yet why not provide documentation to the Linux developers who'll then gladly write a driver for the device and maintain it.

Comment

A somewhat tangential remark: I at least would greatly appreciate gmane over lkml.org for links to mailing list posts.

Comment

Is there some central list with hardware known to work reliably on Linux, so when some basic user wants to buy a laptop/VC/mouse/etc. he can look up and pick one of the choices.
            I really wish some small company to buy mainboards from GB for example, put Coreboot on it, and sell them(online) with small premium of course. I think this model will work, and will be profitable for a small company.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
              Iput Coreboot on it, and sell them(online) with small premium of course. I think this model will work, and will be profitable for a small company.
              Yea.... Give Microsoft some evidence to use so they can keep claiming that Linux costs more than Windows..

I don't like that idea...

But I do like the idea of keeping a list of manufs. that have been naughty or nice.. Just about everything works under Linux whether the manuf. supports it or not, the real question is about how well it works...

Everything can be fine and dandy for months and then a company comes up with a stupid idea like nVidia Optimus, and then it just doesn't work right and probably won't for years and people need to know before they go buying hardware.. I've been using Linux for almost a decade now and I *almost* made the mistake of buying an nVidia Optimus laptop, one of the ones without the hardware switch... Simply because I wasn't following laptop hardware that closely at the time..
              Last edited by Sidicas; 11 November 2011, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                Yea.... Give Microsoft some evidence to use so they can keep claiming that Linux costs more than Windows..

I don't like that idea...
                You know that there are servers being sold with Coreboot, right? I have never heard of somebody complaining Linux costs more than windows.
                My proposal is for enthusiasts, like me, who are tired of bullshit.
                Two example, for my new laptop ThinkPad x120e, the hardware is fine, but BIOS causes Linux to hang at boot. This only happens if I entered the BIOS setup, or booting windows, and then restart to Linux. I have to turn it off, and then back on to boot in Linux. I mainly use it on my desk with external display,keyboard and mouse. The freaking thing doesn't have Wake on keyboard press, although it has one powered while off usb port. The lid have to stay opened all the time.
                These two examples I believe can be easily fixed, if one had the BIOS sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                  Heaven forbid these hardware manufs. actually step up to the plate and get their hardware working properly on anything other than Windows...
                  At the very least, it gave us a pretty good idea of which hardware manufs. have been naughty or nice...

A lot of users are so far downstream, they're not aware of things the hardware manufs. do compared to the things people in the open source community have to do because the hardware manufs. won't do it themselves..

It's important to not give those naughty companies any more money by buying their products, since they're just taking your money and spending it to make their products run better on just Windows..

This is 2011, not the early 1990s.. There's no real reason the manufs. can't support Linux and Windows.. The only reason they don't support Linux is because every penny saved is a penny earned in their eyes..
                  From the sound of it, those companies who are being blacklisted have drivers that don't work properly on windows either (at least using aspm). So, really, they just need to get their act together.
                  I AM surprised the e1000 driver is being blacklisted. I believe that is an intel gigabit chip. Usually they are so good about these things...

Comment

Thanks Matthew!
                    This reminds me of this funny tshirt I saw on a planet fedora blog.

"I can't fix your computer... but Matthew Garrett will!"

Too true.

Comment

Working...
                    X