Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nzjrs View Post
    Cool story bro.
    So you go off calling us trolls, then you troll him? He was just making an observation, and you just sit here and make yourself look like an ass. At least I posted something constructive. Perhaps instead of whining about trolls you could help out a little?

Comment

• I didn't really get that one. What do you mean? Can you give a (valid) use case? I rarely use my mouse to control the gnome shell.
      He is referring to the uncompressed nature of the overview. IF you choose to use a pointer for navigation (that is a legitimate way to use the shell, and for some, it is the only way they CAN use the computer) it is an inarguably harder task to do so in GS. Harder meaning it takes longer and you have to look more carefully. I'll explain more about that later.

I agree with you on that. Luckily - for both of us - it doesn't. I'm able to start Firefox just by hitting the Activities-key (Windows-Key, but reconfigured here for Win+Space, I was a happy user of "Do") and typing F. Maybe your counting skills went wild, the above figures seem to be imprecise.

Obviously he was being hyperbolic but his point is accurate. If you use a mouse you need to cover a lot more area. Now part of the justification for this is bigger targets==easier to hit. That is true, but if you can't tell WHICH window you want to go to (again, only using the mouse) it becomes a good bit harder. Also the giant icons list is simply terrible. It's terrible on ANY smart phone and it's bad on a desktop. You need 2 things: 1)most used icons on top (NOT the side; it seems inconsistent to have that dock only appear on overview, not be exclusively filled with running icons, and not automatically populated with most used apps--- I pretty much never use it b/c I forget about it---it is simply a bit of a mishmash of ideas, IMHO), 2)most used apps area somewhere in the middle top of the screen (this is based on how most people examine things so we can't really do much about positioning here...which makes it even stranger why they chose to put that icon strip on the side---again it really seems like an afterthought, or something).

I agree with you on having an easily accessible list of open programmes is nice. The developers of gnome shell though so as well - that's why there's Alt + Tab and Alt + "Key above tab".

Again, that is not very pointer friendly. You seem like you use the keyboard mostly to navigate. I do the same, but try to use just the mouse for navigation for a day or so while actually working. I would be amazed if you didn't come away a bit agitated, but I've been amazed before

I think they call it "overlay mode". No clicks required by the way (you know, Windows-Key). In case you are using a fairly modern mouse you might be able to resize those preview windows (referred to as "microscopic overview" by you) by moving the scroll wheel up. Scrolling down will make them smaller again.

Overlay IS one of the great features in Gnome but, in its current form, it's a bit useless. The windows are hard to distinguish when you have a few apps open (this is why the devs, FROM DAY 1, should've composited the app icon on each window...I believe there is movement to fix this but it should've always been this way). You CAN use the scroll wheel IF: 1)you have one, 2)you know that the scroll wheel will do something. A failing of GS designers has been an inconsistent view on what we should assume a mouse can do. First the system area doesn't distinguish between left/right/middle clicks (that's fine b/c that seems to be something that more desktops are doing...actually, is KDE doing that already?). In overview, there is no differentiation between left/right/middle click, BUT you can use the scroll wheel in two places, 1)in the apps list, 2)when hovering over a window, however you CAN'T use the scroll wheel to move between desktops BUT you can grab a blank area on overview and fling it between desktops. In the notification area it might distinguish betweem left/right depending on the application. If they want to only allow one mouse input only allow one, but if you also want to allow scrolling (a fine idea but don't assume everyone has one so another GOOD option should present itself) use it consistently. IMHO, the proper fix for the tiny windows is to composite the icon and increase window size on hover (with a touch enabled GS you could change that to pinch-zoom easily enough, but that's evdev's problem).

I never went into a trap using Nautilus before. Maybe because I know how to use the so-called "breadcrumb navigation" below the menu-bar of every Nautilus window.

No only does said navigation strip implement a "parent directory button", there's also a "parent of parent directory button", "parent of parent of parent directory button" and even a "parent of parent of parent of parent directory button". Each of them is placed left of their successor giving you an hierarchical navigation choice.

Should your mental capabilities impair you and make it impossible for you to click on the buttons provided by that navigation element - I highly doubt that because, as you already said, I'm the "gnome-is-great 'tard" here and you are perfectly sane - you might also be able to go up one directory by pressing Alt + Up (on your keyboard, no mouse involved).

Agreed about the breadcrumb BUT I literally can't count the times nothing appears in breadcrumb area b/c the path name is too long. Does it truncate? No. It disappears. In those cases I have to go to the far right of the browser and hit the back button hoping that it takes me to an area with a shorter path name. Since gtk handles truncation rather better now, I don't know why this happening...
      Also, again, you can't make a VERY common navigation method THAT much harder than the old one (referring to the lack of up-dir button).

I know exactly what you are talking about!
      When I'm hungry and I want to order food online I search Google for "food" and clicking through all those 3.250.000.000 results until I find a nearby food-delivery restaurant is such a pain!

Luckily for both of us gnome shell is a lot more sophisticated here: When in overlay mode (important, or else every keystroke will go the the application that is currently in front!) just start typing let's say "Firefox" with "F". This will narrow down your search results to only a few - unless you have 70 concurrent versions of Firefox installed on your system of course.
      First, GS is NOT sophisticated in this area at all. If it were I could type "browser" and get all my versions of firefox instead of just Aurora. Do you know why this is? It's b/c the devs, seriously, the DEVS (and not all of them even) don't like tracker. I don't know the history but Gnome has absolutely no serious "story" for searching other than tracker. The fact that a number don't like it is the reason why the big "Finding and Reminding" feature keeps getting pushed further into the future.
      Also, GS is really slow in populating its results. Thats why I use synapse for launching most things.

The actual big problems with gnome shell are the result of a bunch of VERY poor users in terms of their mental capabilities.

Nearly every single one of your rants boils down to: I'm not able to use that damn thing because I don't know how to and I'm too stupid to find it out myself. Nevertheless, you could still get a lot of help from various generous users that actually do know how to read so that wouldn't be that big of a problem. Your actual problem is your total lack of an attitude that would make people help you.

This made you a sad troll but don't get me wrong: I'm not feeling sad for you at all. I'm actually quite happy that the developers behind that great desktop environment called Gnome don't give a shit about people calling them 'tards for no reason.
      While this is true of some people I don't think it is true of droidhacker (I could be wrong but I don't think so). Moreover, the fact that you don't see any of his points speaks the worse for you, IMHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
        So you go off calling us trolls, then you troll him? He was just making an observation, and you just sit here and make yourself look like an ass. At least I posted something constructive. Perhaps instead of whining about trolls you could help out a little?
        That was not trolling. That was ridiculing a comment that contained no value (troll). Sometimes the best response is to laugh.

If you want to see my contributions to G3 please use the google.

Comment

That was not trolling. That was ridiculing a comment that contained no value (troll). Sometimes the best response is to laugh.

If you want to see my contributions to G3 please use the google.
          It seems more like you can't stand to see something you worked on get ridiculed, so you ignore the user. Which might I mind you was the problem in the first place.

Comment

It seems more like you can't stand to see something you worked on get ridiculed, so you ignore the user. Which might I mind you was the problem in the first place.
            I guess you didn't google which part I worked on then.

I have no difficulty ignoring users who I do not consider to offer useful feedback, or to be the target of G3.

Comment

I guess you didn't google which part I worked on then.

I have no difficulty ignoring users who I do not consider to offer useful feedback, or to be the target of G3.
              See, the problem is you only see the trolls rather than the many, many people who gave point by point problems of G3. One of the main problem with G3 is that it essentially said screw you to the user. Just once did the G3 developers count the mouse clicks, did they once measure the amount of mouse movement, or the amount of keyboard clicks to do anything in comparison to Gnome 2? Did they have a survey like Phoronix did asking what they wanted? No. NOT ONCE. This is what the G3 devs get for ignorance.

Comment

See, the problem is you only see the trolls rather than the many, many people who gave point by point problems of G3. One of the main problem with G3 is that it essentially said screw you to the user. Just once did the G3 developers count the mouse clicks, did they once measure the amount of mouse movement, or the amount of keyboard clicks to do anything in comparison to Gnome 2? Did they have a survey like Phoronix did asking what they wanted? No. NOT ONCE. This is what the G3 devs get for ignorance.
                Define your user.

We just draw the line in different places. Im sure we both have no difficulty ignoring hardcore folks like stallman, hardcore tiling wm users, etc. They barely fitted in G2. They do not fit in vanilla G3. Meh.

Would you design a robot based on a survey of what 10000 people wanted? Good luck. It would be a camel.

Comment

Define your user.

We just draw the line in different places. Im sure we both have no difficulty ignoring hardcore folks like stallman, hardcore tiling wm users, etc. They barely fitted in G2. They do not fit in vanilla G3. Meh.

Would you design a robot based on a survey of what 10000 people wanted? Good luck. It would be a camel.
                  Funny you ask. I am an engineering student and I was on a robotics team. I was the lead programmer for said team. There was a large argument over whether the controls should be entirely for one person or split between two people. There would be a lot of work that would have to go into redesigning the control systems and I really liked how the controls already were. I myself wanted it to be for one person, because I already programmed it that way. The majority of the team wanted it split between two people. So, you know what I did? I DID WHAT THE FUCK THE USERS WANTED! I gave the users what they wanted, and if I gave them a camel so what, if they wanted a camel I gave them A CAMEL I did my job.

Comment

Funny you ask. I am an engineering student and I was on a robotics team. I was the lead programmer for said team. There was a large argument over whether the controls should be entirely for one person or split between two people. There would be a lot of work that would have to go into redesigning the control systems and I really liked how the controls already were. I myself wanted it to be for one person, because I already programmed it that way. The majority of the team wanted it split between two people. So, you know what I did? I DID WHAT THE FUCK THE USERS WANTED! I gave the users what they wanted, and if I gave them a camel so what, if they wanted a camel I gave them A CAMEL I did my job.
                    I know, I googled you. I've been there, done that.

Make a note to read the paragraph you just wrote again in a few years. I bet my house your views will have shifted 180 degrees. Only then will you realise that you prove my very point.

Comment

I know, I googled you. I've been there, done that.

Make a note to read the paragraph you just wrote again in a few years. I bet my house your views will have shifted 180 degrees. Only then will you realise that you prove my very point.
                      Which paragraph? Link please. BTW, it wouldn't surprise me if my views had changed about something. Believe it or not, that is very well human.

Comment

Working...
                      X