Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evolution Mail Client To See Significant Changes

Phoronix: Evolution Mail Client To See Significant Changes

Evolution, the e-mail client that's part of the GNOME desktop, will be seeing many significant changes during the GNOME 3.4 development cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

why on earth they keep this thing alive

kill the damn thing

we don't need 500 different mail clients ffs

Comment

More wasted effort.

Comment

Agreed, Ubuntu already got rid of it. They better spend their time on something worthy.

Comment

... or just using gmail. Except for the "I've stored all my e-mails on a local server so I can keep them forever, and not depend on a huge corporation reading all my mail" I've yet to see the reason for not using gmail.

I'm using Evolution every now and then, to check on old junk-mail addresses I still keep around, and it's horribly slow at rendering/displaying e-mails. It takes several seconds of "formatting message..." before the e-mail is actually visible in the preview pane (which is where I read all my mails). I hope the new rendering code takes care of that issue.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

kill the damn thing

Why, what are you using? Just curious. It used to be that Evolution pulled in more GNOME stuff than this XFCE user was willing to tolerate but over time, a lot of these dependencies have snuck in either through XFCE or other applications. I'm now only missing 6 of them. Nevertheless, I have been a very happy Claws Mail user for quite some time now. Native Exchange support would be nice but dedicated Exchange servers do support IMAP and if you need tighter integration or Exchange Online then there's also DavMail.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
              ... or just using gmail. Except for the "I've stored all my e-mails on a local server so I can keep them forever, and not depend on a huge corporation reading all my mail" I've yet to see the reason for not using gmail.
              Offline browsing. That is something that web gmail can't do as well as other features like searching messages, folder management, etc. Gmail and other web based services leave much to be desired. I for example subscribe to many mailing lists that are easier searched (not to mention faster) locally. Plus there are the security issues as well with keeping items online given Googles habit of caching everything under the sun. That being said, I don't know why they bother keeping evolution alive either (or kmail for that matter).

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

kill the damn thing

Does anyone of those 500 have the capability of connecting to a M$ Exchange 2007+ server?
                I would love to know that.
                Evolution does it by means of the evolution-mapi plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by achaios View Post
                  Does anyone of those 500 have the capability of connecting to a M$ Exchange 2007+ server?
                  I would love to know that.
                  Evolution does it by means of the evolution-mapi plugin.
                  Yeah, me too. Same boat. And oh, if this hits ubuntu 12.04 perfect pangolin I'll be happy.

Comment

To the guys asking about Exchange, as I said, it supports IMAP but if that's not enough, check out DavMail. It's probably just what you're looking for.

Comment

Working...
                    X